Glasgow Cup Final (u20s): Celtic 3 - 2 Rangers [FT]

8 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Being nominated for POTY and YPOTY suggests otherwise.

It does, but his poor stats back me up. I said way back in August that the end product just wasn't there. Of course he did well to score against Celtic, but he hasn't been good enough to create proper chances consistently and score goals consistently. These things are really important in his position in a 4-3-3. Don't get me wrong every game is different and you need variety, but in many games this season I'd have preferred Middleton who might not be as involved in the play but has the quality to get you a goal or set someone up. As Frankie said he didn't even play well last night but scored two fantastic goals. So different from Kent who gets plaudits for looking busy and beating guys where it doesn't matter but ending the game with nothing to his name.

Edited by DMAA

7 minutes ago, DMAA said:

It does, but his poor stats back me up. I said way back in August that the end product just wasn't there. Of course he did well to score against Celtic, but he hasn't been good enough to create proper chances consistently and score goals consistently. 

DMAA, I take your point about lack of end product particularly goals but prior to the introduction of Defoe this might also have been said about other players in the team.  At various times during the season we have been heavily reliant on Tav providing the spark that leads to a goal.  Both Kent and Middleton need to improve certain, different, aspects of their game.  Incidentally, I thought Tav would have been a better candidate for POTY.

59 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

DMAA, I take your point about lack of end product particularly goals but prior to the introduction of Defoe this might also have been said about other players in the team.  At various times during the season we have been heavily reliant on Tav providing the spark that leads to a goal.  Both Kent and Middleton need to improve certain, different, aspects of their game.  Incidentally, I thought Tav would have been a better candidate for POTY.

I agree with you. In my opinion we need to spend more money on one of these positions than anywhere else, by that I mean the "inside forward" and/or the number 10. Despite being top goalscorers we've lacked quality and goals there, Kent & Candeias relied on Morelos because they just didn't do it in the goalscoring positions.