What's up Doc? Hibs interested in Greg Docherty

Hibs will lead chase to sign Greg Docherty – IF Rangers decide to sell him this summer

The on-loan Shrewsbury Town ace has put in some outstanding performances for the English side this season and the Hibees have been checking in on him

Exclusive
By Roger Hannah
29th April 2019, 10:45 pm
Updated: 29th April 2019, 11:13 pm

HIBS will lead the chase for Greg Docherty — if Rangers decide to sell the midfielder this summer.

Easter Road recruitment chief Graeme Mathie has made personal checks on the ex-Scotland Under-21 cap during his year-long loan at Shrewsbury Town.

Greg Docherty celebrates after scoring for Shrewsbury

Docherty, 22, has put in some outstanding displays for the League One outfit and helped them secure their third-tier safety with a 1-1 draw at Coventry on Sunday.

But his loan expires after this weekend’s clash with Walsall.

Gers forked out £650,000 to land Docherty from Hamilton Accies 18 months ago but he has made just 11 appearances.

While Steven Gerrard has brought in Glen Kamara, Steven Davis and Scott Arfield since then.

It has placed doubt over Docherty’s future at Ibrox.

Shrewsbury would be keen to keep him and there is other interest south of the border, but ambitious Hibs are monitoring his situation.

Boss Paul Heckingbottom, who has a list of targets, may even investigate the possibility of a loan deal for Docherty.

Well that puts his price up to 5 million. Help Hibs with a loan deal. Rearrange the letters to form 2 words. Ckuf fof

53 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think he'll be sold anyway. He should be part of first-team plans next season, even if just a squad player. 

Even if he were sold, it would probably be to an English team.

Scottish provincial sides don't have that kind of money and the only way I could see it happening would be if it were part of a deal that meant a player coming to us.

• Frankie changed the title to What's up Doc? Hibs interested in Greg Docherty

Yeah there is no chance we should be selling anyone to hibs, if he was going I agree I think an English team, top of league one, mid to lower championship would definitely go after him, he has done well for Shrewsbury but he is obviously better than the level he is playing at. Hope he stays though, I think he could be very useful, he won't start every week though, we need to go up a level again, hopefully he can develop as well

Greg Docherty says he wants to kick-start Rangers career amid Hibs interest

SunSport exclusively revealed last night that the Easter Road club will lead the chase for Docherty IF Gers decide to sell him this summer.

GREG DOCHERTY insists he is heading back to Ibrox stronger than ever as he looks to kick-start his Rangers career.

The ex-Hamilton youngster joined his boyhood heroes in a £675,000 switch 18 months ago - but faced disappointment when Steven Gerrard broke the news he would struggle for action this term.

The 22-year-old midfield ace refused to sulk, however, taking the brave decision to leave Ibrox behind as he joined Shrewsbury on loan.

And Docherty - who SunSport exclusively revealed is being chased by Hibs - has made the most of the opportunity.

On Saturday he should make his 50th and final appearance for the Sky Bet League One outfit against Walsall as he brings the curtain down on his season-long stint at New Meadow.

As well as clocking up the half-century of games, the 22-year-old has netted 10 goals and created 11 more for the Shrews to date.

Now he hopes those numbers will have Gerrard sitting up and taking notice as he looks to force his way back into the Rangers manager's plans.

Docherty said: "Overall it's been a good period for me. I feel I've played well, I've matured and I actually feel like I'm a different player to the one who came down in the summer.

"Off the pitch there's been difficult moments - we changed manager twice this season - but I've come out the back of it stronger.

"I feel the whole thing has benefited me massively. I don't think I could've made more of the opportunity.

"Things were up and down last year when I signed for Rangers and looking ahead, I decided I didn't want to be in the same position this summer as I was last pre-season.

"I wanted to be in a much stronger position. Saturday against Walsall will be my 50th game of the campaign.

"It was me who suggested going out on loan because I wanted to prove I was willing to better myself and my stance at the club.

"So there's no doubt I'm going back in a stronger position having played so many games.

"I know I'm not going back to Ibrox to walk straight into the team. I'll have to fight for my place.

"But having so many games behind me shows I can withstand the rigours of a hard season. If I have to wait and bide my time, I will.

"My number one aim is still to go back to Rangers and be a success. I signed for them for a reason - because I want to play for Rangers.

"This summer I'll try to control all I can, give my all and show I want to be there for a long time. I'm going back to give it a right go."

Docherty's performances helped Sam Rickett's side keep their place in England's third tier.

But it is his displays in big FA Cup ties against Stoke and eventual semi-finalists Wolves that he believes prove he can cut it at Ibrox.

"I've played a lot of games - and some big ones too," he said. "We played Stoke twice in the FA Cup (and) also took Wolves to a replay.

"They were high-profile games and I feel I contributed and did myself justice in them.

"Against Stoke, I set up the winner then I scored the opener in the first game against a Wolves side doing well in the Premier League.

"For me personally, it was great to know I could compete with these types of players. We took both clubs to a replay when they were putting out strong sides.

"You just have to look at how far Wolves got to see how seriously they were taking the competition. They were looking to win it so the fact we did so well against them gave me confidence."

Rangers have been keeping a close eye on Docherty during his time down south, with loans manager Billy Kirkwood making regular trips to Shropshire to catch him in action.

He added: "It's nice to know they have been keeping tabs on me.

"Now I can go play my final game this weekend, enjoy my summer then look to get down to work once pre-season starts."

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4186052/greg-docherty-says-he-wants-to-kick-start-rangers-career-amid-hibs-interest/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1556633309

No way would I be doing outward business with them following their antics over Allan and Cummings. If they want him they can go down the same path we have to. Try signing him from whichever English team we punt him to.