Should Morelos start this weekend?

It's a tough one for Gerrard.  I think Morelos is likely to be sold in the summer so will we be likely to get a decent sum for him if they think he's been demoted to the subs bench?  I'd expect that his transfer is already (or has already) being agreed so I doubt that the remaining games will have an effect.  Based on that assumption, I'd give him a few minutes at the end of my games, but ALL players need to know there's a standard expected from being a Ranger and that there's a consequence if you don't meet that standard.  In the longer term, that understanding of discipline is critically important.

While I still don't think he should start we do have to continue fielding the strongest possible 11 and fighting for every ball till it's mathematically impossible to take the title. And even if it's mathematically impossible when the yahoos visit we still need to go all out to give them a second defeat this season.

Which effectively leaves us just the Killie game at most to maybe throw in some youngsters for a taste of the real thing. And it would be an almighty contest for them because the chances are Killie may still be scrapping it out with the sheep for third place right to the last game.

37 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

While I still don't think he should start we do have to continue fielding the strongest possible 11 and fighting for every ball till it's mathematically impossible to take the title. And even if it's mathematically impossible when the yahoos visit we still need to go all out to give them a second defeat this season.

Which effectively leaves us just the Killie game at most to maybe throw in some youngsters for a taste of the real thing. And it would be an almighty contest for them because the chances are Killie may still be scrapping it out with the sheep for third place right to the last game.

If Killie need to beat us to knock the sheep into fourth place, and we don't have anything to play for, I'd give our under 16s a full 90 minutes against them.  It'd be good experience for our youngsters, with that added benefit of seeing McInnes' face of fury again!

On 30/04/2019 at 18:37, Bill said:

Agreed. If Morelos walks back into this team at the first opportunity it will say something about our manager I'd rather not hear.

Agree it says he wants Scotland's top scorer and best player by a country mile in his team.

It's certainly a tricky one, on the one hand discipline has to play a part and the form that Defoe is in makes it hard to argue against him retaining his place.  But at the same time, Morelos is in the running for golden boot and POTY and as a club surely we should be supporting our players striving for such accolades?

Defoe starts for me on the basis its a 3 match winning streak and Defoe and Davis are now on form. If we had something to play for it may be different.

A lot will depend on what SG has in mind for Morelos in the summer.

Defoe starts (if fit) and Morelos replaces him after an hour. 

I think we will be told pre-match that Defoe has a slightly tight muscle injury and Morelos starts with Defoe on the bench, thus making it an injury-led decision and not a management one.

SG should also take into consideration who the referee is. If it is one of the well-known "haters" then leave Morelos out the action. I would do the same next week against the bheasts.