Should Morelos start this weekend?

55 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I have a feeling that if he stays, we'll see another exponential increase in form.

Can't understand some Rangers fans that want our most exciting talented young striker in years not being involved in the first team and in fact want rid off him!!.

Unless there is a huge fee involved I want him to stay and improve his game, he terrifies defences and knows where the goal is.

A striker we could not afford if we were to try and buy him now!.

Edited by ian1964

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

I have a feeling that if he stays, we'll see another exponential increase in form.

If he really wanted to stay, I'd be more inclined to share your optimism.

On 16/05/2019 at 17:51, ian1964 said:

Can't understand some Rangers fans that want our most exciting talented young striker in years not being involved in the first team and in fact want rid off him!!.

Unless there is a huge fee involved I want him to stay and improve his game, he terrifies defences and knows where the goal is.

A striker we could not afford if we were to try and buy him now!.

I think there is a section of the support who will never give him reasonable credit.  His potential was evident from day one but there were Bears were calling for him to be replaced by Cummings.  I hope we can keep him.

8 minutes ago, Briton said:

I think there is a section of the support who will never give him reasonable credit.  His potential was evident from day one but there were Bears were calling for him to be replaced by Cummings.  I hope we can keep him.

There will always be varying opinions but after this season, I don't think anyone doubts his ability and potential.

But this season has also thrown another important factor into the mix, which simply can't be ignored.

The priority for most is a winning team and we are on our most consistent run in the top flight since 2011.

In other words, currently Morelos isn't getting a game because Defoe deservedly has the shirt and probaly suits more the formation w've been playing.

The factor I mentioned was discipline and in Scottish fitbaw, his cards have been marked. This means it will take a really big effort on his part to stop falling for opposition efforts to get him sent off. Thus far, we've heard how he'll look to rid this from his game and to be fair you could see an effort being made but come the big game, he succumbed once again.

I put it to you that he is a cracking player but we can't really trust him.

Thereafter, does he want to stay or go ?

If he wants to stay, I'd be more inclined to give him another chance unless offered relative silly money.

If he wants to go, I'd take a reasonable fee and look for a replacement. 

11 minutes ago, buster. said:

There will always be varying opinions but after this season, I don't think anyone doubts his ability and potential.

But this season has also thrown another important factor into the mix, which simply can't be ignored.

The priority for most is a winning team and we are on our most consistent run in the top flight since 2011.

In other words, currently Morelos isn't getting a game because Defoe deservedly has the shirt and probaly suits more the formation w've been playing.

The factor I mentioned was discipline and in Scottish fitbaw, his cards have been marked. This means it will take a really big effort on his part to stop falling for opposition efforts to get him sent off. Thus far, we've heard how he'll look to rid this from his game and to be fair you could see an effort being made but come the big game, he succumbed once again.

I put it to you that he is a cracking player but we can't really trust him.

Thereafter, does he want to stay or go ?

If he wants to stay, I'd be more inclined to give him another chance unless offered relative silly money.

If he wants to go, I'd take a reasonable fee and look for a replacement. 

Well obviously we'll take silly money, that goes without saying.   He will have to make a big effort on the discipline front but, like you say he deserves another chance.  Did you trust Bud?  We've had our share of fiery/stupid players in the past who haven't received the criticism Morelos has.  At least he has some excuse in his age, unlike, say, McGreggor who has acted idiotically on occasion this season (including in the first 'big game') but I don't see people lacking trust in him. 

Whilst Morelos needs to learn to not react he doesn't get enough protection and it is more frustrating for him when opposing players are allowed to barge/kick & foul him every match unpunished, also he has never even come close to injuring a player, all silly things he does, unlike most of the players in this league who do try to injure players.

I hope he stays and improves even more.

1 minute ago, Briton said:

Well obviously we'll take silly money, that goes without saying.   He will have to make a big effort on the discipline front but, like you say he deserves another chance.  Did you trust Bud?  We've had our share of fiery/stupid players in the past who haven't received the criticism Morelos has.  At least he has some excuse in his age, unlike, say, McGreggor who has acted idiotically on occasion this season (including in the first 'big game') but I don't see people lacking trust in him. 

McGregor / Morelos

What cost their respective indiscipline ?

ie. when McGregor gets close to where Morelos is on that measure, then it'll get a stronger reaction.

Alfredo got away with one in Ufa, in that the 10 and then 9 man team fought so hard to get through to an eight figure pay day.

Bigger picture is we need a team that is all in for next season and that includes being able to trust everyone to pull in the same direction, together.........and for that reason, if he wants to go and/or there is doubt he can learn his lessons quickly.... better for all parties that he leaves, IMO.

It's a bast**d because the guy can play and should get better..... but if we get decent money, it's more part of how football is today.

Regarding Morelos, IMHO, 25 to 40 % of talk about his indiscipline comes from hyped up media talk. It is in your face nigh every day and it might very well get to you.

He is being treated to a different standard than 7 out of 10 other players in the SPFL, not least the Scottish ones. That doesn`t excuse his own wrongdoings, but he isn`t allowed to treat fellow "players" like they treat him and that`s abnormal. Discussing him without keeping that in mind is stretching any talk about his supposed indiscipline.

Edited by der Berliner

3 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

He is being treated to a different standard than 7 out of 10 other players in the SPFL

That isn't going to change.  We need to keep that in mind - it's a situation that exists, regardless of who is at fault.

On 19/05/2019 at 13:03, der Berliner said:

Regarding Morelos, IMHO, 25 to 40 % of talk about his indiscipline comes from hyped up media talk. It is in your face nigh every day and it might very well get to you.

He is being treated to a different standard than 7 out of 10 other players in the SPFL, not least the Scottish ones. That doesn`t excuse his own wrongdoings, but he isn`t allowed to treat fellow "players" like they treat him and that`s abnormal. Discussing him without keeping that in mind is stretching any talk about his supposed indiscipline.

We can go on about that angle on a messageboard.

SG has to deal with the reality of the situation, regardless.

----------------

I reckon we'll probably end up keeping him for next season due to not getting offered anywhere near to our valuation.

However we might end-up with Alfredo and/or his agent trying to agitate for the club to do business and let him move on.

In those hypothetical circumstances, it's predictable what happens with an unhappy Morelos on the field.

IMO any bid in eight figures should be accepted, the sooner the better.

If he scores 40 goals and we get the 55th, feel free to bump this :D