Signing Targets According to ET

As we revealed last week, Smith has targeted Osasuna defender Carlos Cuellar, and today his Iranian midfield team-mate Javid Nekounam stated Rangers wanted him as well.

Espanyol striker Walter Pandiani has also been linked in a �£1m move, but Smith would not be drawn.

And, as we told you last Wednesday, Smith has been offered West Ham left back Paul Konchesky. He was in Glasgow for the Uefa Cup Final and stayed on for talks with Rangers and Smith will use this week to decide on any �£600,000 bid.

--------------------------------------------

Cammy F

Konchesky has been pretty quiet for a good few seasons now ever since he broke through and was being touted as 'the next big thing' if i remember correctly.

Was he injured for a while?

I dont think a deal will be made for him unless WS is sure he can offload someone else in defense.

No thanks to Konchesky. Actually really rate him as a premiership standard LB, but would mean shipping on at least Papac and Murray. Smith has to be the long term LB. Came through the youths costing us nothing and is frankly a quality player. When fit this season he was easily the best player tbh, but injury wrecked his season about half way through.

Cuellar, Nekounam and Pandiani would all be decent standard experienced signings.

Its now officially silly season on the rumours, its that time of the year again.

Smith is obviously our long term first choice. Not sure if Papac will be hanging around as it looks like we're going to be signing one or two centre halves. Ian Murray can play in quite a few positions, so I can see him staying.

No thanks to Konchesky. Actually really rate him as a premiership standard LB, but would mean shipping on at least Papac and Murray. Smith has to be the long term LB. Came through the youths costing us nothing and is frankly a quality player. When fit this season he was easily the best player tbh, but injury wrecked his season about half way through.

Agree that Smith has to be considered the long term left back, but he has struggled with injuries and we need cover and experience in that position - something that Konchesky offers and at �£600K, it is a decent deal.

I actually wouldn't mind letting Ian Murray go, imo he hasn't done anything in his time at Rangers to suggest that he can hold down a regular starting slot (in any position).

Papac has improved of late, but again, I can't see him staying long term - we are going to be well covered in defence and maybe he is a luxuary that we can't afford at the moment

Cuellar, Nekounam and Pandiani would all be decent standard experienced signings.

Agreed...!

Cammy F

I suppose you're right Cammy. With Konchesky's PL experience, he would be a good option. But for me that relies on moving on Murray and Papac. Becuase, with our lack of funds (that I expect us to spend anyway) we can't afford to go for another LB when we have 3, meaning there is not money for, for example, a LM. As I say depends on moving on the other LB cover first.

Maybe, only remember seeing him at LB. However, surely we've even better cover for CB?

Yeah we do, but if WS is looking to offload Svensson, Ugo, Papac and Webster doesnt sign up then we'll be needing more in. Not that i expect all 4 to be leaving.

I think Smith and Papac should be our LB's next season anyway, bar any injuries it would be sufficient cover with Murray there too.