Going places/getting there.

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 07:31, buster. said:

The fact we are 14 points ahead of 3rd means DK's 'a strong second' is in the bag.

I don't take comfort from Aberdeen & Hibs falling away, which is mainly what that is. Both of them have been signficantly weaker than last season with the loss of key players.

I do take some comfort from the fact that we are a stronger side and the goal difference shows it. But what else do you expect after spending circa £7.5m? An improved goal difference and a handful of extra points is the least you expect.

"Frustrating" isn't a strong enough word for the failure to get full points from a game all season. It took almost the whole season for the management to realise that 4-3-3 wasn't working with this set of players. Kent & Candeias were too limited to be part of a real front 3, they failed all season to chip in with goals. There was a baseless hope that they would somehow just "add it to their game".

So yes we are much closer to challenging for the league next season but I am far from content with this league campaign.

Edited by DMAA

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I don't take comfort from Aberdeen & Hibs falling away, which is mainly what that is. Both of them have been signficantly weaker than last season with the loss of key players.

I do take some comfort from the fact that we are a stronger side and the goal difference shows it. But what else do you expect after spending circa £7.5m? An improved goal difference and a handful of extra points is the least you expect.

"Frustrating" isn't a strong enough word for the failure the turn get full points from a game all season. It took almost the whole season for the management to realise that 4-3-3 wasn't working with this set of players. Kent & Candeias were too limited to be part of a real front 3, they failed all season to chip in with goals.

So yes we are much closer to challenging for the league next season but I am far from content with this league campaign.

Can't argue with much you post there.

Wrt to challenging for the title next season.

We can only directly influence what we do, budgets, getting value for money, our own tactics etc., but a lot will end up depending on what happens on the other side of the City.

We are approaching a big year or two, with a lot at stake. Whilst, I'm sure we will do as much as we can to get the title back. I also reckon that they'll be pulling out the stops to continue the way they have been going and unfortunately, the biscuit tin is full. I'd be expecting some relatively big names to be coming to both sides of Glasgow to play football during this time.

The final old firm game is huge. Losing the title by only 6 points with wins in both home games against them and a very similar goal difference would really set us up for next season. I can be optimistic looking forward but I'm not so good at putting a gloss on what's behind us.

3 hours ago, craig said:

But they’re replacing Brendan with Mourinho..... :roflmao:

Don’t laugh. Mourinho’s style of management might see Crespo, Morrientes and Raul at last making a breakthrough into the celtic  first team, certainly in time for their next tour of Japan.

15 minutes ago, DMAA said:

The final old firm game is huge. Losing the title by only 6 points with wins in both home games against them and a very similar goal difference would really set us up for next season. I can be optimistic looking forward but I'm not so good at putting a gloss on what's behind us.

It's important but not huge IMO.

Huge will be the first of next season and that'll be at Ibrox.

Looking forward

A plus point is that we know what we are doing or have to do whilst overby, there may be more of a transition.

I reckon that they'll throw more money at it than accustomed but that doesn't always provide guarantees, especially in the short-term.

Anyway, it'll mean a summer full of transfer rumours (some sexy) and then the realism of the squad list at the end of August.

Should be fun.........

46 minutes ago, buster. said:

It's important but not huge IMO

It is for me in terms of morale. It would show December wasn't a one off and would make a huge difference to the final league table. Players weighing up a move here will look at that table carefully and come to a conclusion on how realistic winning the league next season is. 

It's strange because I would never want to lose to that mob - but if we were to lose to them they may be more likely to employ Lennon permanently and I don't think he's that good a manager.  The situation almost reminds me of when we beat them in the Cup Semi - they realized we were back in the top flight, were capable of beating them (at least in a one off game) - so they splashed the cash for Rodgers.

Had we not won that Cup semi they may have stayed with Deila and that would have been a bonus for us.  I'm getting similar feelings about Lennon. 

Last year we were guaranteed 5 goal drubbings and petrified of them. It’s jyst not the same this year. Plus qualifying for EL and holding our own against Spartak, Villareal and Rapid was surely beyond most folks expectations. Only disappointment was not winning a cup but where we stuttered in some games Celtic got last minute winners. That’s the basic difference and it’s negligible compared to last year. If they fail to qualify for the CL next year I think we will be getting very near to parity. Our biggest issue is still to make sure the books are getting managed behind the scenes and commercial development is progressed - that’s where the biggest difference is at the moment. I’m not overly worried about on field. This Sunday I expect us to win. We may or may not but the point is I now anticipate this game rather than fear it.