Going places/getting there.

19 minutes ago, Bill said:

I just cannot see Lennon still being their manager next season. But I can see it being someone like David Moyes

It’s a big risk if Moyes but maybe he’s in that place after ManU and Spain - either resurrection or total disaster. 

This seems to have gone a bit off topic from Going places/getting there.

Back on topic I’d suggest that the improvement has been very pleasing indeed this season with the highlight being qualifying for the EL group stages.

A poor run of form after the winter break cost us the title & getting put out of both domestic cups by the sheep was the low point of the season for me

However a challenge we will face in the summer is holding onto our players as we’ve now certainly got 2 or 3 saleable assets. If they’re sold then finding replacements will be something new to us in recent times.

Next season I’m sure we will kick on again. And I’ve no doubt our board & management team will be watching for another summer of strange goings-on over the East End again

Edited by RANGERRAB

3 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

This seems to have gone a bit off topic from Going places/getting there.

Back on topic I’d suggest that the improvement has been very pleasing indeed this season with the highlight being qualifying for the EL group stages.

A poor run of form after the winter break cost us the title & getting put out of both domestic cups by the sheep was the low point of the season for me

However a challenge we will face in the summer is holding onto our players as we’ve now certainly got 2 or 3 saleable assets. If they’re sold then finding replacements will be something new to us in recent times.

Next season I’m sure we will kick on again. And I’ve no doubt our board & management team will be watching for another summer of strange goings-on over the East End again

A few things cost us the title but Worral versus Kilmarnock is the biggest imo. The fact we never recovered from that says a lot about the overall character but that’s where we are and what we must fix. No more kids on loan like him learning to b a footballer in vital positions. It’s not rocket science. Gerard will fix it. 

I fully expect us to be a stronger side next season though it remains to be seen how the yahoos will respond. Regardless looking at our lead over the also rans it would appear that the traditional duopoly has been restored to burst the fantasy bubble of the sheep etc.

We have beaten every team in the league now so the next step has to be greater consistency. Killing off matches we're totally dominating.

11 hours ago, DMAA said:

It is for me in terms of morale. It would show December wasn't a one off and would make a huge difference to the final league table. Players weighing up a move here will look at that table carefully and come to a conclusion on how realistic winning the league next season is. 

Yes and that is what is immediately in front of us but the real focus for the management team/recruitment is getting the squad sorted for next season as early as possible.

The first OF of next season will be HUGE but then I guess you could say that every time 3 points are on offer, it'll be huge.

I reckon in points totals, that both OF teams will get further away from the provincial clubs and it'll become more like the beginning of the century.

6 hours ago, Walterbear said:

A few things cost us the title but Worral versus Kilmarnock is the biggest imo. The fact we never recovered from that says a lot about the overall character but that’s where we are and what we must fix. No more kids on loan like him learning to b a footballer in vital positions. It’s not rocket science. Gerard will fix it. 

It was a bad error but we had most of the game to repair the damage.

The real error that evening IMO was from the manager, his choice of the starting XI and lack of timely substitute #Davis

If we can get 2 wins out our last 2 games, we end up on 81 points. We got 70 last season. A goal difference this season of +54 compared to +19 last season shows a huge improvement too. We havent actually scored too many more goals (3 more to date) but we conceded 50 goals last season compared to 25 so far this season.

We made our biggest progress in Europe. After the Progres embarrassment, this year was a magnificent achievement, and was on the verge of being even better. Matching this run next year is vitally important.

I wont listen to those who try to claim our Euro adventure affected our league chances. We were level on points at the split, a few weeks after being eliminated, so our failure to win the title is in the Euro-free second half of the season. We simply didnt strengthen properly in January. We brought in a striker and didnt play him, and a midfielder who was miles off the pace and has only started to play once the title had long gone. We didnt bring in the attacking midfielder we have been crying out for since well before SG came in, and our hopes of breaking stubborn teams down died with that decision.

The domestic cups is where the SG report card has its big red marks on it. Losing twice to Dolly, one at Ibrox no less, was simply unacceptable. The two performances were abysmal, and this always lands at the gaffers door. To lose once to Dolly in the LCSF was bad enough, to lose at Ibrox in a QF replay is simply awful, the worst result of the season and a real blow to us all. It is in this area that SG must improve next season. OF games can be a 50/50, so if we lose to the tims in either/both cups next season, that can happen, but what must not happen is to lose to anyone else in a cup-tie next season.

I will be looking forward to our transfer market activity this summer, there are 4 key positions I want to see strengthened, in addition to replacing anyone we lose to good bids. Left-back (although if todays story that Barisic is up for it and SG/him have no beef then that would be fine for me), a CH to cover to Goldson/Katic, a creative midfielder, and a striker on the basis we pretty much know Morelos is away. If we can improve other first 11 players then great but we simply must get these positions sorted first and foremost.

As TannochBear has pointed out the evidence is there of progression with a point increase, goal difference huge improvement and closing the gap and at least finishing second. Realistically this was expectations was at the start of the season for league business.

We held our own in Europe and got through a load of qualifiers and then didnt look out of place at all in the most competitive group in the competition.

The lines are very fine. I still look to the first two away games of the season, conceding at Pittodrie and Fir Park extremely late was harsh plus the bad run earlier this year with a couple of silly draws. Yet the luck shone on Celtic with injury time winners at Dens, Tynecastle and Rugby park - even half of those go our way then its a close one.

If we make the same percentage of improvement next season then there is no reason why we wont win the league. I cant see Celtic improving that much.