Non-Goalie Rangers between the sticks?

Outfield players taking over in goals is a rare event these days. Numerous substitutes more often than not, negates the phenomenon. Back in the day, when there were no subs, or only one or two were allowed, it happened but was still very much an infrequent occurrence. I can remember very few incidences where non-Goalie Rangers have ended up wearing the big gloves. Any Gersnetters able to add to :

Left back Davy Provan took over the jersey and gloves from an injured Norrie Martin in a Glasgow Cup final in 1967(4-3).

Colin Stein taking over in a Glasgow Cup semi-final versus Queens Park at Ibrox(3-0) in 1970.

Graham Roberts at Ibrox, filling in for an ordered off Chris Woods(2-2).

Ian Ferguson takes over from an injured Chris Woods at Ibrox against St Mirren(0-1).

McCrorie deputising for the ordered off McGregor yesterday at Ibrox versus Hibs(1-0).

In my time supporting Rangers, I think I have witnessed only five. I know Roberts also filled in at ra Piggery in a 0-2 defeat, but was not present. Feel free to add?

1977 Scottish Cup Final

According to referee Bob Valentine, Derek Johnstone allegedly and very briefly, stood in for Stewart Kennedy.

This led to a penalty that meant Celtic won the trophy.

Now this is confusing given that all referees were/are apparently Masons and Rangers supporters, who wouldn't give Celtic the time of day.

I can remember watching the game on TV. Before it ended I had angrily grabbed my ball and went to blast it repeatedly off a wall.

Edited by buster.

5 minutes ago, buster. said:

Now this is confusing given that all referees were/are apparently Masons and Rangers supporters

It makes them winning their 9 in a row all the more remarkable.  ?

1 minute ago, pete said:

If I remember right Graham Roberts made a good save against Celtic in that 2-2 game.

Quite amazing that another referee sent off two Rangers players and only one from Celtic.

It's almost as if the Mason conspiracy was a load of shite.

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

Outfield players taking over in goals is a rare event these days. Numerous substitutes more often than not, negates the phenomenon. Back in the day, when there were no subs, or only one or two were allowed, it happened but was still very much an infrequent occurrence. I can remember very few incidences where non-Goalie Rangers have ended up wearing the big gloves. Any Gersnetters able to add to :

Left back Davy Provan took over the jersey and gloves from an injured Norrie Martin in a Glasgow Cup final in 1967(4-3).

Colin Stein taking over in a Glasgow Cup semi-final versus Queens Park at Ibrox(3-0) in 1970.

Graham Roberts at Ibrox, filling in for an ordered off Chris Woods(2-2).

Ian Ferguson takes over from an injured Chris Woods at Ibrox against St Mirren(0-1).

McCrorie deputising for the ordered off McGregor yesterday at Ibrox versus Hibs(1-0).

In my time supporting Rangers, I think I have witnessed only five. I know Roberts also filled in at ra Piggery in a 0-2 defeat, but was not present. Feel free to add?

Unless my memory is failing me I think Roberts may even have pulled off some sort of save during that game.

How about Bobby Shearer under the lights at Tynecastle, 26 October,  1960?

Billy Ritchie carried off after ten minutes at 0-0 and no substitutes in those days. Nonetheless the Famous beat the champions - John Cumming, Gordon Smith, Willie Bauld an’ a’ that - 1-3.

What a game, what a night. I can still see the look of grim determination on Shearer’s face as he pulled on the gloves and walked back to the goalmouth.

Alex and Ralphie scored for the Heroes before Smith got one for the Hearts (ach, Shearer, ye mug, ye) but Davie calmed the nerves.

3 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

How about Bobby Shearer under the lights at Tynecastle, 26 October,  1960?

Billy Ritchie carried off after ten minutes at 0-0 and no substitutes in those days. Nonetheless the Famous beat the champions - John Cumming, Gordon Smith, Willie Bauld an’ a’ that - 1-3.

What a game, what a night. I can still see the look of grim determination on Shearer’s face as he pulled on the gloves and walked back to the goalmouth.

Alex and Ralphie scored for the Heroes before Smith got one for the Hearts (ach, Shearer, ye mug, ye) but Davie calmed the nerves.

That's three years before I attended a game. Shearer was fairly diminutive, five foot seven approx? Brave choice for a Keeper.

Turning this around, some twenty plus years back, a reserve game at Creamery Park, Bathgate. I saw Colin Scott(Scooter) play the first half in goals, as normal. Second half, he came out as a striker.