Gersnet Podcast: OF Reaction

Another great production lads.  Really enjoyed it, although I did disagree with two points.

1.  I don't think it was a red card incident with Flanagan.

2.  Katic is good but has a long way to go.  The chance Celtic had really was gilt edged because Katic got into the wrong position and ended up on the wrong side of Eduard.  This was similar to two other occasions against Livingston and Killie and he has to sort that out to keep his first 11 place.

However, even when I disagree I love it.

9 hours ago, Gaffer said:

Another great production lads.  Really enjoyed it, although I did disagree with two points.

1.  I don't think it was a red card incident with Flanagan.

2.  Katic is good but has a long way to go.  The chance Celtic had really was gilt edged because Katic got into the wrong position and ended up on the wrong side of Eduard.  This was similar to two other occasions against Livingston and Killie and he has to sort that out to keep his first 11 place.

However, even when I disagree I love it.

I agree with you that Katic isnt there yet and that he still has some learning to go through yet. However He's not responsible nor was he in the wrong position. The ball is charged down by Burke from Flanagan and breaks into Eduard in the centre circle. Goldson is drawn to the ball and gets caught between Ncham and Eduard who lays it off to Ncham who plays a ball over the top of Goldson back to Eduard. Goldson is towing a caravan well beaten for pace and 2-3 yards off it. Katic has to make up 50 yards because Flanagan doesn't track Burkes run and Katic, is where he should be, covering Burke. Once he realises the ball isn't going over his left shoulder to Burk he tracks 50 yards across the park to then cover Goldson. Eduard beats him in the turn and puts it across the box for Burke. Keeper saves, knocks it out Sinclair picks it up and Goldson clears. Goldson going absolutely mental at Flanagan after he heads it clear tells you all you need to know about that whole passage of play. Not that Goldson wasn't partly to blame but you get the gist.

Edited by Big Jaws

13 minutes ago, Big Jaws said:

I agree with you that Katic isnt there yet and that he still has some learning to go through yet. However He's not responsible nor was he in the wrong position. The ball is charged down by Burke from Flanagan and breaks into Eduard in the centre circle. Goldson is drawn to the ball and gets caught between Ncham and Eduard who lays it off to Ncham who plays a ball over the top of Goldson back to Eduard. Goldson is towing a caravan well beaten for pace and 2-3 yards off it. Katic has to make up 50 yards because Flanagan doesn't track Burkes run and Katic, is where he should be, covering Burke. Once he realises the ball isn't going over his left shoulder to Burk he tracks 50 yards across the park to then cover Goldson. Eduard beats him in the turn and puts it across the box for Burke. Keeper saves, knocks it out Sinclair picks it up and Goldson clears. Goldson going absolutely mental at Flanagan after he heads it clear tells you all you need to know about that whole passage of play. Not that Goldson wasn't partly to blame but you get the gist.

I do understand how the chance came about initially, but I'm sure it was Katic that ran over to close down Eduard and ended up on the wrong side because he got too close and was done by him.  All he needed to do was close him down and slow him down.  As I said, he did this on his first game back (can't remember who it was against, but maybe Motherwell now that I think about it) and got hooked at half time.  I could tell the manager was furious when it happened that time, and he then didn't get back into the team again until recently.  He needs to learn but he's still very young and I expect he will become a great player for us.

Since we're often looking for a quality veteran to fill or provide back up in some spots it's been noted that Gary Cahill will be available on a free from Chelsea. Former international team-mate of the manager Chelsea contract expiring June 30th.

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

I do understand how the chance came about initially, but I'm sure it was Katic that ran over to close down Eduard and ended up on the wrong side because he got too close and was done by him.  All he needed to do was close him down and slow him down.  As I said, he did this on his first game back (can't remember who it was against, but maybe Motherwell now that I think about it) and got hooked at half time.  I could tell the manager was furious when it happened that time, and he then didn't get back into the team again until recently.  He needs to learn but he's still very young and I expect he will become a great player for us.

No mate it wasn't. We're on the attack its played back to Flanagan and when the ball breaks Goldson is the one who steps up and is caught with acres of space in behind him. As I said Eduard to Ncham, Eduard runs around Goldson and gets it back from Ncham. Now Katic has to cover across and cuts off the inside run and possible pass to a runner forcing Eduard to go wide onto his left but Eduard cleverly plays it with the outside of his right boot to go past Katic on his outside. Katic adjusting to that at full pace looks pretty clumsy. Over those 5 yards Eduard had the turn of pace to go past Katic. IMO we're fortunate that Katic got a little on him during the exchange because it slowed him down and forced him wide enough not to shoot himself, its on his weaker foot and has to play the final ball again with the outside of his right boot, and for us to get bodies in the box to defend the second ball after Wes saves from Burke. If you're looking to blame anyone then John Flanagan for losing the ball and not tracking Burke and Connor Goldson for committing himself inside their half is where you should be looking.

Edited by Big Jaws