A 12 months apprenticeship and 3 transfer windows were always likely to be required before the SG&Co era began to take proper shape. 

From the moment we adapted to the 11th minute sending off of Morelos to dominate Aberdeen in the first league game of the season, I knew the management/coaching team knew what they were doing.

I'd say the managers biggest mistake was the starting XI for the Kilmarnock game we lost in January.

I think that is where the outside possibility of a title was lost.

Looking forward to next season with justified optimism.

ps. We need to get the recruitment right #Quality x3, Spine

Agreed Buster.  The Killie game in January was a real disappointment and killed any challenge right there and then.

Ironically I think if the Cowdenbeath game a few days before that hadn't been called off, it might have yielded a better result at Rugby Park.

I guess the only concern is if a large overhaul of players happens and we have to start again with new faces learning the system etc. The progress made this season just needs additions IMO but of course some of it could be out of our hands. Retaining Kent would be No.1 priority along with keeping Tav. We will certainly get another year out of McGregor in goal but I wonder if SG would take a punt on Joe Hart who will be available this summer. At 32 he would offer longevity.

Buster - agree, however at the end of that game at Pittodrie SG made an offensive change rather than a defensive one late on which could have had a big difference.

I may be going out on a limb here but I can genuinely see us not just challenging but actually winning the title strongly next season. Celtic starting the season without Rodgers basically renders them back at square one IMO. Whether it's Lennon or a different manager, they won't have the same impact as Rodgers had on that team. On the other hand, we have team and management that seems to be learning from it's mistakes and with a season under belt and few quality additions we can only go from strength to strength. Our club has a feeling of positivity and momentum whereas the mob across the city have uncertainty and departures to entertain them during the summer. Ok they will go and win a treble treble this season. I care not about that as the architect of that success is nowhere to be seen. A good start is a no brainer next season and we have shown at the tail end of this season, we have the players and tools to beat everyone in this league. Let's not forget, we didn't lose the league due to the head to heads V Celtic. We lost the league due to naivety in winnable games V Aberdeen, Killie, Hibs etc.

Looking further ahead, I genuinely hope we can cash in on Morelos. Much of this season was side tracked by the circus that surrounds Alfie and I feel that if he is not there we will be more focused and we will have happy days ahead.

may be going out on a limb here but I can genuinely see us not just challenging but actually winning the title strongly next season.

BlackSocksRedTops, whilst I agree with your sentiment I think you have to also consider the other side of the coin.  Celtic will have a new manager and assuming this is not Lennon that may give them a bit of a lift.  It is likely that there will be at least some overhaul of their playing staff in the summer.  Judging from the results against ourselves and earlier ones  where they squeezed out a win it is apparent that their squad does not have the necessary strength.  The directors of Celtic I am sure will have been annoyed that they lost to us, since undoubtedly they want to go for ten in a row and see that this is now in jeopardy.  For that reason I can see considerable funds being made available to whoever becomes the manager.  Let us hope that they choose the wrong manager and that they buy flops.

52 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

may be going out on a limb here but I can genuinely see us not just challenging but actually winning the title strongly next season.

BlackSocksRedTops, whilst I agree with your sentiment I think you have to also consider the other side of the coin.  Celtic will have a new manager and assuming this is not Lennon that may give them a bit of a lift.  It is likely that there will be at least some overhaul of their playing staff in the summer.  Judging from the results against ourselves and earlier ones  where they squeezed out a win it is apparent that their squad does not have the necessary strength.  The directors of Celtic I am sure will have been annoyed that they lost to us, since undoubtedly they want to go for ten in a row and see that this is now in jeopardy.  For that reason I can see considerable funds being made available to whoever becomes the manager.  Let us hope that they choose the wrong manager and that they buy flops.

Your reasons are valid but are exactly the reasons why I think we will win the league. Whoever they get as a manager will not be Rodgers or anywhere near his level. Their squad needs an overhaul so that requires money and a glut of new players which doesn't guarantee anything. IMO, this much change can go 50/50. I just hope we can capitalise if their manager and new players are struggling. For this time in years, I would say there is more uncertainty over the summer at Parkhead than Ibrox

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

Celtic do have their problems to resolve, and the managerial appointment is a tough one for them to get right, however for the first time since the Smith era it's all about what WE do this summer.

I won't care one iota who they bring in as their manager or as a big money signing if we can secure 3 quality additions while holding on to Tav, Arfield, and possibly re-signing Kent.  If we do that, I'll be confident even if they got Pep, Poch or Mourinho.

We now have a style of play that's a joy to watch if you're a bear, and a nightmare to deal with if you're the opposition.  We've had our bedding in season and the core of our team should ensure that any new additions quickly fit into the new style because they'll have a dozen other players to demonstrate and act as role models for the way Gerrard wants us to play.

I am excited to see who we can bring in during the summer, but to be honest I just want it to be the start of the new season already because even if we didn't make any signings, and even if they brought in Mourinho, I'd still bet a large amount that next season is ours for the taking.

10 hours ago, Gaffer said:

I am excited to see who we can bring in during the summer, but to be honest I just want it to be the start of the new season already because even if we didn't make any signings, and even if they brought in Mourinho, I'd still bet a large amount that next season is ours for the taking.

I wouldnt mind them getting Mourinho. He is clearly not the manager he once was and will eventually throw the toys out the pram and players wont play for him. Plus he doesnt have an attacking style of football and teams could start to pick them off.