On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 19:47, JFK-1 said:

They can only ask that much because we gave him the chance to prove himself. His highest valuation on transfermarkt has been £1.58m. Hope they keep that in mind when we ask for further loans. It's beneficial for both parties.

As for Kent he appears to be more than eager for a permanent move and hopefully it happens. He's top quality by SPL standards plus can only get better as he matures and he scares the life out of the yahoos. I have seen their hordes posting online a hope that we don't have him next season.

Eh, no !!  If you have been following the English markets recently you will find that players from the "big" clubs are moving for 8 million plus, even when they haven't played 1st team games.  To suggest "they can only ask that much because we gave him the chance to prove himself" is naïve.  Top end English teams are commanding huge fees for players that haven't ever played a 1st team game.... indeed, it is much of the reason Chelsea have had over 50 young players out on loan in the last couple of years.

There’s no way the £12m fee is true. £5m is far more believable and I think we can get more quality with that kind of money. Going by the press conference today though it sounds like we are very keen. 

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

There’s no way the £12m fee is true. £5m is far more believable and I think we can get more quality with that kind of money. Going by the press conference today though it sounds like we are very keen. 

I think there's a strong possibility that we could get a quality player for less than £5m but it's a risk isn't it.  Kent is a young lad at the start of his career but already he's shown that he adds quality to our first team.  I'd be inclined to spend that money on him rather than taking a risk elsewhere.  It's a lot of money but if he continues to perform even at the level he did this year, it's an investment rather than a sunk cost.

I am biased though because Kent is the type of player I like to watch.  At the games I'm drawn to him, Kamara and Tav (and now Defoe too) because they have a real element of unpredicatability about them.

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 20:06, Gaffer said:

It's a lot of money but if he continues to perform even at the level he did this year, it's an investment rather than a sunk cost.

It's been fascinating to see how differently Kent has been viewed by fans this season. I'd say a good two thirds love him. But then there's guys like me on the other end of scale. 

His style is entertaining and I think his blistering pace, bravery on the ball and work rate endears him to the fans (or blinds the fans to be a bit cynical). But right from the beginning I haven't been able to see past how few chances he creates. It's by far the most important thing about the position, putting chances on a plate for the striker. He's finished the season was only one goal and one assist more than Middleton from almost exactly three times the game time. It's pretty shocking really. For £5m I expect Jelavic quality and he certainly isn't that.

19 minutes ago, DMAA said:

It's been fascinating to see how differently Kent has been viewed by fans this season. I'd say a good two thirds love him. But then there's guys like me on the other end of scale. 

His style is entertaining and I think his blistering pace, bravery on the ball and work rate endears him to the fans (or blinds the fans to be a bit cynical). But right from the beginning I haven't been able to see past how few chances he creates. It's by far the most important thing about the position, putting chances on a plate for the striker. He's finished the season was only one goal and one assist more than Middleton from almost exactly three times the game time. It's pretty shocking really. For £5m I expect Jelavic quality and he certainly isn't that.

It makes for an interesting debate.

The important opinion is that of the manager and he would seem to be making a big push in trying to get him back to Ibrox for next season.

I think you make very valid points that are somewhat tied into what was continually playing a system that had an obvious flaw but one that our squad was ill equiped to deal with. You don't seem to put a value on Kent's game/ tactical awareness and willingness to work hard to comply with his requested role. The latter is what let's Middleton down at this stage in his career.

IMO I'd rather scarce resources (anything above 3M) were invested elsewhere given the amount of decent cover we have for the wide roles.

Get him on another loan....yes please !

Edited by buster.

24 minutes ago, buster. said:

I think you make very valid points that are somewhat tied into what was continually playing a system that had an obvious flaw but one that our squad was ill equiped to deal with

Well the 4-3-3 was the only formation Middleton played in, bar a few minutes at Tyncastle. He'd have done well in the 4-3-2-1 imo.

24 minutes ago, buster. said:

You don't seem to put a value on Kent's game/ tactical awareness and willingness to work hard to comply with his requested role. The latter is what let's Middleton down at this stage in his career.

I value his work rate, it wins us the ball back often. Similar to Candeias. Whilst important it pales in comparison to being good at shooting or playing clever through balls in his position though. It's like a ball playing centre back who's not great in the air. Those are the attributes we've badly lacked in the tough games this season againt deep lying defences, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock especially. You need a player who excels at passing (playing clever through balls) and/or someone who can score from nowhere and finish chances consistently. The latter is a strength of Middletons, he can play poorly but if given a chance is clinical, and can score from nowhere. Barrie McKay comes to mind for the former, a very technically gifted player who was a very good passer and had great vision.

Edited by DMAA

59 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I have to agree with you re the stats.  No one can argue with the fact he hasn't scored or assisted enough, and everything you say about the role he plays is correct.  I'd still spend the money on him and I've got nothing to justify that other than I like him.  Thankfully for us all, I'm not the manager because I think I'd possibly make decisions based on poor rationale.  Maybe it is his attitude and his workrate that endears him to most, but for me the main thing is his close skill and control.  I just love watching him.

It sounds like it’s a loan move we are going for from the reports. I think he’d be twice as effective on the right wing, but if we stick to the 4-3-2-1 I think there will be players more suited to playing centrally out there. 

From Kent's displays against various opposition it is evident that he is regarded by them as a dangerous player who they have to watch closely.  This can be seen by the way opposition players swarm round him.  This, in itself, is useful because it opens up space for other Rangers players.  The issue I have with Kent is that he does not always play with his head up and tries to do too much.  He has to realise that having drawn players to him he can then release the ball to a colleague rather than attempting to dribble past the opposition.  If Kent can improve his decision making then he will be a real asset for Rangers.