Supports Feed Back SLO/Club1872

1 hour ago, Bill said:

In what way can an individual board member “hold the board to account”? It seems to me that’s a fantasy that far too many fans bought into ... literally. 

As a former company director yourself, I'm surprised you can't think of a way. 

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

As a former company director yourself, I'm surprised you can't think of a way. 

I was but I’m afraid I can’t. Any clues?

On 29/05/2019 at 23:33, Bill said:

I was but I’m afraid I can’t. Any clues?

Ach who cares about Corporate Governance anyway! :)

In all seriousness, football clubs are a different breed to normal companies, in the sense that so much emotion is attached to running them effectively.  The tools available to any appointed non-executive director are fairly standard, but the difficulty would be in finding someone who is able to balance the competing demands of fan politics and their fiduciary responsibilities as an appointed director.

Given that we struggle to find many who last the course in terms of fan politics, let alone be capable of managing the conflict mentioned above, I too have doubts that appointing a fan's representative to the PLC/ Football Club board would work on a practical level

Edited by stewarty

13 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Ach who cares about Corporate Governance anyway! :)

In all seriousness, football clubs are a different breed to normal companies, in the sense that so much emotion is attached to running them effectively.  The tools available to any appointed non-executive director are fairly standard, but the difficulty would be in finding someone who is able to balance the competing demands of fan politics and their fiduciary responsibilities as an appointed director.

Given that we struggle to find many who last the course in terms of fan politics, let alone be capable of managing the conflict mentioned above, I too have doubts that appointing a fan's representative to the PLC/ Football Club board would work on a practical level

Don’t be shy. If you know how a Club1872 rep could hold the Rangers board to account, let’s hear it. 

19 minutes ago, Bill said:

Don’t be shy. If you know how a Club1872 rep could hold the Rangers board to account, let’s hear it. 

I'm saying that I think on a practical level it would be difficult to find someone who could balance the demands on them personally, even though I support the idea.

In terms of what they could do to hold the Board to account, I can think of dozens of things...

Participation in Board meetings, developing strategy and objectives, reviewing and challenging performance management reports in relation to agreed objectives/ plans, scrutinising decisions that require Board approval, challenging decisions from a fan perspective, participating on Audit Committee meetings (if appointed) to review the work of independent auditors....

I could go on.

The key, as with any board appointment, is finding someone with the personal experience, gravitas and integrity to fulfil the role effectively. 

1 minute ago, stewarty said:

I'm saying that I think on a practical level it would be difficult to find someone who could balance the demands on them personally, even though I support the idea.

In terms of what they could do to hold the Board to account, I can think of dozens of things...

Participation in Board meetings, developing strategy and objectives, reviewing and challenging performance management reports in relation to agreed objectives/ plans, scrutinising decisions that require Board approval, challenging decisions from a fan perspective, participating on Audit Committee meetings (if appointed) to review the work of independent auditors....

I could go on.

The key, as with any board appointment, is finding someone with the personal experience, gravitas and integrity to fulfil the role effectively. 

Sorry but that’s nothing to do with the question. Those are things a director can try to do .. it’s a very long way from holding a board to account. 

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Sorry but that’s nothing to do with the question. Those are things a director can try to do .. it’s a very long way from holding a board to account. 

I think potentially we are looking at this from different points of view.  

An individual Board member fulfilling those duties should be able influence or hold to account when doing those and other duties typical of any boardroom.  Ultimately there are other options available to a Director in a worst case scenario - e.g. to blow the whistle, referral to regulators, etc.

If you are saying that there is nobody currently in the ranks of club1872 capable of doing such then that is a different matter.  The other dynamic would be the ability of one board vs an alliance of other members who can effectively overrule an individual.  But again, that speaks to the skill, integrity and influence of the individual.

1 hour ago, stewarty said:

I think potentially we are looking at this from different points of view.  

An individual Board member fulfilling those duties should be able influence or hold to account when doing those and other duties typical of any boardroom.  Ultimately there are other options available to a Director in a worst case scenario - e.g. to blow the whistle, referral to regulators, etc.

If you are saying that there is nobody currently in the ranks of club1872 capable of doing such then that is a different matter.  The other dynamic would be the ability of one board vs an alliance of other members who can effectively overrule an individual.  But again, that speaks to the skill, integrity and influence of the individual.

The thing is if a member of club 1872 has participated in a vote on the board then it renders any opposition from club 1872 nil and void. All the board need to say is your rep. voted on the decision. Really better a supporters group with a roar than a meh, meh.

57 minutes ago, pete said:

The thing is if a member of club 1872 has participated in a vote on the board then it renders any opposition from club 1872 nil and void. All the board need to say is your rep. voted on the decision. Really better a supporters group with a roar than a meh, meh.

Thats a good point - certainly the board would take a collective responsibility for any decisions taken and would be bound by confidentiality in terms of things they could discuss openly.  Again,  though, for me it comes down to the individual and whether they could manage the competing demands and priorities of the two roles, as well as their ability to influence.