LA Galaxy want to 'link' with us

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NOTREGNews/NewsDetail/0,,5~1029046,00.html

From Lindsay Herron in Los Angeles

LA Galaxy president Alexi Lalas is hoping that he can develop a fruitful relationship with Rangers on the back of tonight's friendly clash

The former US national team stalwart and one-time Padova player reckons there is a good opportunity for the two clubs to work together.

He is interested in some of his younger players going to Ibrox and would welcome some Rangers youngsters to come to LA.

He told rangers.co.uk: "It's a wonderful opportunity for our organisation on the field to play a world class club and off the field a great way to share ideas and establish a relationship.

Rangers are a club with an incredible history and it's an honour for us to welcome them to Los Angeles and to the Home Depot Center.

From a Rangers point of view they are obviously looking to push their brand here in what is incredibly emerging market.

And from our perspective to be associated with one of the best clubs in the world is wonderful.

I am sure we can work together on a lot of ideas. We can learn from them and they can learn from us.

There may be scope for players to go from one club to the other.

We have the same pressures as Rangers in the sense that winning is what it is all about so we want to have the strongest squad possible.

It would be incredible of some of our younger players could go over and learn in the environment that Rangers work in and vice versa it could be beneficial for some of their players coming over here to be part of the Galaxy.".

he makes some good comments, but dont you get the feeling you've heard this all before?

I like the idea but if we're going to go down the Northern Spirit/Shanghai route again, I hope we commit fully but only after investigating the complexities of such a deal.

Potentially it could be a good investment but the 2 above ended up the opposite.

i get the impression that what we get from rangers world, murray etc is blair-esque soundbite policy. they want to be seen to improve while maintaining the status quo/doing what they like.

for example, they tell us we're going to have a "link" with this flourishing club. everyone agrees that this is a good thing. we get vague references to swapping players. all sounds nice. but there's no substance. what does this link actually entail? how is it going to benefit the first team? what steps are in place to ensure this happens? basic business stuff.

i get the impression that what we get from rangers world, murray etc is blair-esque soundbite policy. they want to be seen to improve while maintaining the status quo/doing what they like.

Do you mean all pi55 and wind Barry?

I would very much welcome it. America has allot of Football talent and with former player Claudio Reina back over there playing for New York then we might get somewhere - especially as Claudio enjoyed his time at the Gers. Would also be a financially good thing for us as Beckham's going to bring in allot of people to the game.

I think this could be a really good move. Hopefully it'll be doneproperly and I look forward to our younger guys going out there and developing in a flourishing league alongside the like of Beckham. Say what you like abouthim but he takes care of himself and has pride in himself as a footballer, something our youngsters can learn about.

If anything fruitful comes of it I�´ll be very surprised but maybe that�´s because I�´m just an old cynical B or possibly unfortunate experience watching Rangers and/or proposed partner mouthing off soundbites that the dumbed down masses cheer.

i get the impression that what we get from rangers world, murray etc is blair-esque soundbite policy.

Totally agree. We need some substance to back this up. Somehow I doubt we'll get it.