European draw and play dates

8 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Only if we win.

That goes without saying but i'm pretty much taking that for granted. Euro football seems to suit us better than SPL fare and maybe that's hardly surprising since the manager wasn't familiar with SPL football but has vast experience of Euro football.

The team was good enough last season to not just play in a difficult group but to be competitive in that group. So, taking it for granted that with a potentially even stronger team we can negotiate QR1 I feel that starting there is in our interests.

Gives us the financial benefits which are more than welcome and two competitive games under our belt for a sterner test in QR2.

12 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

That goes without saying but i'm pretty much taking that for granted. Euro football seems to suit us better than SPL fare and maybe that's hardly surprising since the manager wasn't familiar with SPL football but has vast experience of Euro football.

The team was good enough last season to not just play in a difficult group but to be competitive in that group. So, taking it for granted that with a potentially even stronger team we can negotiate QR1 I feel that starting there is in our interests.

Gives us the financial benefits which are more than welcome and two competitive games under our belt for a sterner test in QR2.

I wouldn't take anything for granted.

Think back to better squads having excellent seasons in Europe and what happened the following season.

Great run in 92/93 

Following season booted out in first tie #Levski

UEFA Cup Final 2008

Following season first tie was against Kaunas :facepalm:

1 hour ago, buster. said:

I wouldn't take anything for granted.

Think back to better squads having excellent seasons in Europe and what happened the following season.

Great run in 92/93 

UEFA Cup Final 2008

Following season first tie was against Kaunas :facepalm:

Another slip up like that will not be acceptable. We have to take this seriously and even if we end up playing more games to play ourselves into form I would take that option. Leave aside the extra income, which is always nice, the fact we were able to build up slowly and surely last season was the reason we went as far as we did.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Another slip up like that will not be acceptable. We have to take this seriously and even if we end up playing more games to play ourselves into form I would take that option. Leave aside the extra income, which is always nice, the fact we were able to build up slowly and surely last season was the reason we went as far as we did.

Here's another angle on the above

Great run in 92/93 

But won the League

UEFA Cup Final 2008

Following season first tie was against Kaunas

But won the League

I used to go to pre-season games in Germany and the fitness levels were absolutely nil comma nil. It was the same with Ally bringing the players back just 2 weeks before important European games. I hope like last season Gerrard works them hard in Spain as that was the catalyst for our Euro run in my opinion. We were super-fit against lesser fit teams.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

No insult intended, but if it does happen, what will you do?

Qualifying for the group stages again would be terrific for the club.  I would advise anyone against getting too excited about the possibility though.

The league has to be our priority this season.

7 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Qualifying for the group stages again would be terrific for the club.  I would advise anyone against getting too excited about the possibility though.

The league has to be our priority this season.

I think qualifying for the group stages gives everyone a huge lift, I fancy Stevie G to get us there again. 

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

I hope you're right, coop.  Although last season's efforts ended rather disappointingly, it was great to have the likes of Rapid Vienna and Villarreal back at Ibrox.

Apart from not winning a trophy - not getting through that group was the other major disappointment from last season. I suppose it was heartening to be back in challenging, but we should have won the group. Morelos (wrongly) disallowed goal in Moscow cost us