We apparently spent too much on wages

Rangers in 'red line' for wages - but good news for Celtic, Hearts and Hibs

Joel Sked - Published: 09:36 Wednesday 29 May 2019

Rangers were one of two Scottish Premiership sides who were in the 'red line' for wages in 2018.

However, there was good news for a host of other top-flight clubs, including Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts and Hibs.

Data analysed by Kieran Maguire, senior teacher in accounting and finance at the University of Liverpool Management School, shows the dangerous ratio of wages to income for Rangers and Dundee.

Uefa recommend that for every £100 earned in income a maximum of £70 should be paid out in wages, ie the ratio should not go above 70 per cent.

Rangers' sits at 73.8 per cent. Yet, they weren't the worse in the Premiership with relegated Dundee at an unhealthy 78.1 per cent.

However, the picture of the Scottish football as a whole is positive. Of the other teams with data, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts and Hibs are all well below the 70 per cent mark:

• Kilmarnock - 61.7 per cent

• Celtic - 58.4 per cent

• Hearts - 57.9 per cent

• Hibs - 55.8 per cent

• Aberdeen - 55.6 per cent

The data relates to the clubs' most recent financial figures and Scotland's teams are in a healthy situation compared to some of England's clubs with 17 in the above 100 per cent. Birmingham City have an astonishing ratio of 202.3 per cent.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/rangers-in-red-line-for-wages-but-good-news-for-celtic-hearts-and-hibs-1-4936820

Wonder what sort of "material" Kieran had to analyze, but one would hope that he also has a stat that exclude silly transfer money from England for Scum players. I was under the impression that they paid enormous wages for their squad according to their own annual report, but haven`t got the time (nor will) to dig that up now.

BTW, another artivle in the Scotsman tackles the problem of ...

Who finished as the Scottish Premiership's 'dirtiest' team? Here’s where each club ranked in the fair play table

Which team finished the Scottish Premiership as the league's 'bad boys'?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/who-finished-as-the-scottish-premiership-s-dirtiest-team-here-s-where-each-club-ranked-in-the-fair-play-table-1-4935993?page=1

You might be surprised to hear, that statswise it is not us. You might NOT be surprised to hear that the picture on top of that "gallery of the mean" proudly sits a sticky Morelos picture ...

8 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/rangers-in-red-line-for-wages-but-good-news-for-celtic-hearts-and-hibs-1-4936820

Wonder what sort of "material" Kieran had to analyze, but one would hope that he also has a stat that exclude silly transfer money from England for Scum players. I was under the impression that they paid enormous wages for their squad according to their own annual report, but haven`t got the time (nor will) to dig that up now.

Celtic do have a much larger wage bill than we do but their revenue is also much larger.

It depends significantly on European competition participation and player trading.

As it stands, they have several players who could be sold on for decent money and I'd guess that they'd be looking to move on at least one that produced an eight figure (or close to) transfer fee per year.

What that translates into is that we have to catch-up, rather than waiting for or expecting them to suffer a significant reduction.

Until we win the league, it'll be extremely difficult to make more than they do in Europe.

Even winning the league is only halfway to the CL group stage.

Player trading is where there is more opportunity but only if we can significantly improve our own players on a consistent basis.

Something that I have yet to see in nearly 50 years of watching Rangers.

Some of those English stats are astonishing, no way is that sustainable. As for us if the figures are correct then that's not great reading, however the issues around merchandise are a contributing factor and something our directors are aware of. We clearly need to get our income up as I suspect our wage bill will rise this summer, that's inevitable if you want to sign better players. That said the costs involved in paying off Caixinha and some of the signings that didn't work out might be included in those figures. I suppose this comes down to trusting our current directors to protect the club and not overreach. 

They`ll sure get some mighty cash injection from this season's CL and probably some next season too. It would be a rather deep dent into their finances if they fall early though.

Interestingly enough, the gulf between the worth of the team as opposed to nigh the entire Premiership seemingly does not hamper their media choir`s volumes re Treble Trebles and 7IAR et al.

19 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Some of those English stats are astonishing, no way is that sustainable. As for us if the figures are correct then that's not great reading, however the issues around merchandise are a contributing factor and something our directors are aware of. We clearly need to get our income up as I suspect our wage bill will rise this summer, that's inevitable if you want to sign better players. That said the costs involved in paying off Caixinha and some of the signings that didn't work out might be included in those figures. I suppose this comes down to trusting our current directors to protect the club and not overreach. 

It boils down to throwing in most of (if not all) the chips... in a bid to win the title back within the next two seasons.

IIRC projected budgets are dependent on European group stage football in 3 out of 5 seasons.

They are probably dependent on a close to continual capacity home attendance.

As well as directors and others financially backing the club when need be.

Qualifying for EL groups last season was a massive boost in the ST and the loyalty of the support and backing from directos & others has been fantastic. Retail should be producing more but we all know how slow and difficult the legal process is against Mr.MASH.

The issue going forward is keeping the show on the road and I come back to throwing in most of our chips to win the league back.

My hunch is that the 2019/20 season is when we have to take advantage of circumstances and do the business.

Edited by buster.