Rangers First Chinese Soccer School

5 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

How would you measure the success of this venture?

The fact that we have tried in more countries and failed. Australia springs to mind. Ajax have these schools as well but I have never heard it has delivered one player to them. For me success would be if it delivered a first team player but there is nothing to say it will. On the contrary most experience is that it costs a fortune for no return.

8 hours ago, pete said:

The fact that we have tried in more countries and failed. Australia springs to mind. Ajax have these schools as well but I have never heard it has delivered one player to them. For me success would be if it delivered a first team player but there is nothing to say it will. On the contrary most experience is that it costs a fortune for no return.

I suspect the club have a little bit more imagination.

I doubt they are looking for a player.

How much do you think the club invests in this venture?

What do you think is the point of it Rangers Syntax? I understand there are millions of people in China with a burgeoning interest in European football and an increasing disposable income, but I suspect we must seem like a Junior side compared to the Champion's League and big Spanish and English sides. 

What I would say is Celtic made some money when they signed the South Korean and the Japanese players a few years ago. I'd a long conversation recently with someone involved in that and apparently Celtic were astonished at the interest it created there, and the subsequent web traffic and shirt sales that followed. 

For me, a bit more time spent shoring up support in this country would be money better spent. I worry we're heading down the 'Ireland' road now in Scotland. So many young lads in Scotland now support Man City or Chelsea, I suspect there will be a few supporting Liverpool and Spurs in the coming years too. That's a far bigger threat to our club than potential shirt sales in Shenzhen I think.  

We had that tie in with a Chinese club before, you could buy their shirts at Ibrox for a while. How did that work out in the end? 

3 hours ago, JohnMc said:

What do you think is the point of it Rangers Syntax? I understand there are millions of people in China with a burgeoning interest in European football and an increasing disposable income, but I suspect we must seem like a Junior side compared to the Champion's League and big Spanish and English sides. 

What I would say is Celtic made some money when they signed the South Korean and the Japanese players a few years ago. I'd a long conversation recently with someone involved in that and apparently Celtic were astonished at the interest it created there, and the subsequent web traffic and shirt sales that followed. 

For me, a bit more time spent shoring up support in this country would be money better spent. I worry we're heading down the 'Ireland' road now in Scotland. So many young lads in Scotland now support Man City or Chelsea, I suspect there will be a few supporting Liverpool and Spurs in the coming years too. That's a far bigger threat to our club than potential shirt sales in Shenzhen I think.  

We had that tie in with a Chinese club before, you could buy their shirts at Ibrox for a while. How did that work out in the end? 

At a time when money isn't plentiful, I agree that it would be wiser to spend scarce resources closer to home.

As a brand, we aren't going to compete successfully with EPL and other elite clubs in China.

I think the route Celtic took by buying popular Asian internationalists is the way to go if you want a return via the Asian punter's pound. They'll spend because they support the player, identify with his personal battle to do as well as he can in a foreign country and thus bring credit to ex-club, country, etc.

9 hours ago, JohnMc said:

In my opinion it's a speculative investment.  We put the Rangers brand in front of people in a country where interest in football, and disposable income, is growing.   I also think that there is a market over there that is different to the European one.  Consumers in China won't necessarily make decisions based on the quality of football.  I've been over there a few times recently, and know a couple of people who have been living over there, and it surprised me to learn that some Chinese people already knew about Rangers.

With regard to 'shoring up support in this country' I think that we already spend the overwhelming majority of our budget on that.  Easily at the stage of diminishing marginal returns there.