Laudrup is overrated. Fight me.

51 minutes ago, craig said:

Doesn’t matter if Pep signed him.  He’s still unproven.

not sure why you’re questioning it when it’s clearly true.

Nono ... you refer to your idea of unproven ... or perhaps "unproven at Rangers". So too were Laudrup, Gazza, Weir and hundreds of others. I doubt that SG would have signed him if he was unproven to him. That's more important to me ... and that was written between the lines ... obviously.

6 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Nono ... you refer to your idea of unproven ... or perhaps "unproven at Rangers". So too were Laudrup, Gazza, Weir and hundreds of others. I doubt that SG would have signed him if he was unproven to him. That's more important to me ... and that was written between the lines ... obviously.

You've chosen an odd hill to die on dB. Comparing Polster to Gazza or Laudrup is just bizarre. Polster has played 3 seasons with struggling MLS side and has one US cap, a friendly against Bosnia. Gascoigne was one of the most high profile players in the world when he joined Rangers, a first choice internationalist who's played and starred in top flight football in England and Italy. Laudrup was also joining from Serie A, having previously starred in the Bundesliga, he was also a first choice international and had played in the winning European Champions team. Weir was an experienced player who'd worked with Smith successfully and was seen as a short term stop gap. Polster, on the other hand, is the very definition of 'unproven'. He might turn into a Kamara or a Goldson or he might be a Grezda or an Ojaria. He's unproven, so we'll just have to see. 

4 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Would SG have signed him if he was unproven to him?

Ejaria did quite a good job in Europe and then the league ... but if you had thrown in Sadiq, you`d have a point. By the time Polster was signed, SG had learned about Sadiq-like signings though.

As for the debate ... I simply said that SG signed him. You replied that your remark is "clearly true". That's just your opinion against SG's first hand experience with the guy. No more am I saying, perhaps between the lines at first.

Explain to me how Matt Polster could possibly be "proven to SG" ?

Maybe if you hadn't used Laudrup and Gascoigne YOU would have a point.

It's tiring you defending players and their worthiness based on the fact that "SG signed him" - you are almost making it out that SG is infallible in the transfer market - and that also is clearly untrue.

39 minutes ago, craig said:

Explain to me how Matt Polster could possibly be "proven to SG" ?

Maybe if you hadn't used Laudrup and Gascoigne YOU would have a point.

It's tiring you defending players and their worthiness based on the fact that "SG signed him" - you are almost making it out that SG is infallible in the transfer market - and that also is clearly untrue.

I will side a little bit with DB in that Gascoigne was a risk due to his serious injury and nobody knew at that time if he could hit the same level as before. Laudrup had failed in pretty much with Bayern and was pretty much a bench sitter in Italy so he was also a bit of a risk. They were of course known as good footballers so it was probably a risk worth taking. Polster is indeed pretty much an unknown factor but then again he won't be on a high wage so also possibly worth the risk.

C'mon, Laudrup played 31 times for Fiorentina, almost every match that season. He struggled to get into the AC Milan side but be fair, that Milan side were the best team in the world at the time. They won Serie A and the European Cup that season. The 3 foreigner rule was in place so he was competing for a starting spot with Boban, Desailly, Savicevic, Papin, Radicioui and Van Basten as well as most of the Italian national side. Not getting into that side hardly made him unproven. 

Every signing is a risk but with a player like Laudrup or Gascoigne, or today someone like Arfield or Defoe, you already know they can play at our level, they've already proven themselves at a higher level. They are still a risk of course after all they might not settle or there might be a personality clash but they're proven at our level, that's why they're paid so much. A player like Polster is a different type of risk because he's not proven at our level yet. The gamble is can he step up, improve his game, develop and adapt. 

Edited by JohnMc

1 hour ago, pete said:

I will side a little bit with DB in that Gascoigne was a risk due to his serious injury and nobody knew at that time if he could hit the same level as before. Laudrup had failed in pretty much with Bayern and was pretty much a bench sitter in Italy so he was also a bit of a risk. They were of course known as good footballers so it was probably a risk worth taking. Polster is indeed pretty much an unknown factor but then again he won't be on a high wage so also possibly worth the risk.

Seriously ?

Both Laudrup and Gazza could be considered risks.  But considered unproven ?  Absolutely no chance.  IMO of course.

19 minutes ago, craig said:

Seriously ?

Both Laudrup and Gazza could be considered risks.  But considered unproven ?  Absolutely no chance.  IMO of course.

Are you reading something i can't see? Where is unproven in my post?

Controversial but in terms of what Gascoigne and Laudrup were bought for. Which was to push us to the next level in Europe both were failures. 

Not taking anything away from 9 in a row.  They joy they brought me watching them strutting their stuff in domestic games still makes me smiles even now.

But it is bittersweet when I remember our record in Europe from that time. Bar one season. 

I would have loved to have seen both play for Advocaat.