Laudrup is overrated. Fight me.

Hateley and Laudrup upfront. That was deadly. Walter got it wrong in Europe playing Moore midfield.

Advocaat messed up not keeping laudrup - Imagine him upfront in that team? Mols and Laudrup as a forward line.

10 minutes ago, Gribz said:

Advocaat messed up not keeping laudrup - Imagine him upfront in that team? Mols and Laudrup as a forward line.

I think Laudrup decided he was leaving before Advocaat came along. He'd decided he was leaving in July 97 whereas Advocaat wasn't announced until Feb 98.

Edit - it seems that Laudrup officially announced he was joining Chelsea later than that but I recall it being a fairly open secret during that season that it was going to be his last. I recall it being known during an open day in  July 97.

9 hours ago, Bluedell said:

I think Laudrup decided he was leaving before Advocaat came along. He'd decided he was leaving in July 97 whereas Advocaat wasn't announced until Feb 98.

Edit - it seems that Laudrup officially announced he was joining Chelsea later than that but I recall it being a fairly open secret during that season that it was going to be his last. I recall it being known during an open day in  July 97.

I remember sitting watching teletext waiting on the news if Laudrup was staying and I recall the one year extension and had a bounce around the living room. Yes you are about right summer 1997.

I think there was massive underlaying talks from Advocaat as soon as he was coming as to who he wanted to stay. Bizarre he wouldnt have wanted Laudrup. Advocaat was always outspoken, I remember he practically talked Amato out of the team as Mols was coming. Amato was amazing too, had he gotten the right manager and an extra yard of pace he would be a world beater.

Edited by Gribz

Oh he wanted Laudrup and expected him to be there when he joined. Murray had told Advocaat he was confident he could persuade Laudrup to remain at Rangers. Murray was nothing if not confident about most things. 

For all his tactical shortcomings Walter Smith was able to build incredible team spirit and Laudrup bought into, and enjoyed, that aspect of Rangers. As has been said by others I also would have loved to see Laudrup under Advocaat, however Advocaat was a Marmite type manager capable of falling out with his best players, so who knows what might have happened. 

Brian Laudrup is comfortably the best player I have ever seen play in Scottish football, and the best years of his club career were with us (though he did win Euro 92 with Denmark, unlike his brother). Define world class. If you picked the best 22 players at France 98, Euro 96 or Euro 92, Brian was one of them. Maybe he took the easy option at club level, playing in Scotland, but there weren’t many better on the planet in the 90s.

Gazza was undoubtedly world class in 1990, but may have been in decline & therefore a gamble in 95. The gamble paid off, on the park at least, as he was Scottish POTY in his first season & arguably player of the tournament in Euro 96. In 1996 if you had to pick the best XI in the world, Gazza, Goram & Laudrup would have been in mine. We didn’t excel in Europe, a bit like PSG nowadays, but we had the players to do so.

On 04/06/2019 at 19:57, Crimson Dynamo said:

Controversial but in terms of what Gascoigne and Laudrup were bought for. Which was to push us to the next level in Europe both were failures. 

That failure was Walter Smith's.