Laudrup is overrated. Fight me.

We really shouldn't be putting Laudrup or Gazza in the same sentence as any of our recent players.  As far as im concerned, I don't care how good/poor/risky they were anywhere else ..... they were BRILLIANT for us and certainly the two best players I've ever seen in the jersey.  Can't we just leave it at that?

This has made me feel down now.  When will we ever see players of this calibre in our team again? It may not be in my life time.

2 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Ahem ... just noted that I (as in: me) seemingly started a topic stating Laudrup being overrated?! :ph34r:

Sorry.

I started the thread.

It's just the way it works moving the posts -- it takes the earliest one first.   

20 hours ago, pete said:

I said Laudrup was a good player but only a god in Glasgow. He was a good player but not world class as some say.

I guess it depends on your definition of world class, and people could argue about that all day. Goram was world class, and arguably Butcher and possibly Gough were.

However I would say that Laudrup is the best player to play in Scotland over the last 50 years, and arguably ever.

53 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I guess it depends on your definition of world class, and people could argue about that all day. Goram was world class, and arguably Butcher and possibly Gough were.

However I would say that Laudrup is the best player to play in Scotland over the last 50 years, and arguably ever.

100% agree.

If anyone is any doubt that Laudrup was indeed 'world class' I suggest they watch the Brazil v Denmark World Cup quarter final match from 1998. Laudrup was astonishing in that game, a game a country of 5 million people had no right to be in, against the eventual World Cup runners up. 

14 hours ago, Uilleam said:

Brian Laudrup was a truly great player, a legend for us. 

But his brother, Michael........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKd690QevFA

...and there is plenty more on YouTube

Spot-on, Michael was without doubt, world class and was an automatic starter at the elite clubs he played for (Juventus, Barcelona and Real Madrid)

Playing in Scotland, Brian looked out of this world.

Apparently, their Dad could play as well. He scored the winner for Denmark in a game against Scotland back in 1971.

More talent in one family than the whole of Scotland has had in 50 years.

------------------------

This thread reminded me of this video, especially at 40 seconds

Edited by buster.

Always love THAT Walter interview, hilarious.

IMO Laudrup was world class and a stand out player who did change and elevate the Scottish Game. He did perform at other levels, he was MOTM in WC 98 when Denmark played Brazil. His Italy stint just didnt work out and he chose wrong in moving to Chelsea who were signing foreigners for fun in 1998.

Pete always says he was World Class in Scotland, yet he is the best performer Ive seen in Scotland so if the likes of Souness and Dalglish were world class then Laudrup has to be.

I would say Laudrup, Gascoigne and Larsson are easily the best 3 players to play in the country and easily world class.