Fishing dispute in Scottish Waters

2 hours ago, forlanssister said:

Scottish "gun boats" don't actually have guns, I kid ye not as they're merchant vessels not naval vessels, that's one of the reasons they spend their time harassing UK fishermen while watching Jonny Foreigner literally rape the seas around Scotland.

It beggars belief that the Scottish "Government" sent a fishery protection vessel out to Rockall as there really should be at least 2 in that area permanently as it's one of the most bountiful fishing grounds on earth and it should be noted that the fishery zone doesn't just extend out to Rockall but to 200 miles west of it. That's tens of thousands of square miles of Scottish controlled waters unprotected as a matter of course.  

During WW II, the government had a number of merchant ships converted to carry guns. Bows and sterns were strengthened to take a naval gun, and, I think, anti aircraft guns were installed at the bridge, either on it or on new superstructure. These ships were then renamed and classified as 'Armed Merchant Cruisers' and sent off on convoy.

The alterations were carried out a Barclay Curle, and other  yards on the Clyde. 

I am sure that Yarrow would be able to design and implement similar conversion works today.

2 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

During WW II, the government had a number of merchant ships converted to carry guns. Bows and sterns were strengthened to take a naval gun, and, I think, anti aircraft guns were installed at the bridge, either on it or on new superstructure. These ships were then renamed and classified as 'Armed Merchant Cruisers' and sent off on convoy.

The alterations were carried out a Barclay Curle, and other  yards on the Clyde. 

I am sure that Yarrow would be able to design and implement similar conversion works today.

Not only merchant ships but hundreds if not thousands of trawlers and fishing boats too.

https://www.worldnavalships.com/naval_trawlers.htm

Some trawlers were requisitioned during the Falklands War, they make excellent minesweepers.