Rod Pettrie - SFA President

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibernian/new-sfa-president-rod-petrie-calls-on-scottish-football-to-be-best-it-can-be-1-4946284

Rod Petrie has expressed his pride at becoming Scottish FA president and insists it is validation of his ability to make a positive contribution at the top of the game’s governing body.

The Hibs chairman was elected unopposed to the role at the annual general meeting of the SFA at Hampden on Wednesday afternoon.

There has been criticism of a system which sees the office bearers of the organisation appointed by a line of accession. But Petrie, who has been a director on the SFA board since 2007, has pledged to prove his worth as he succeeds Alan McRae and begins a four-year tenure.

“My appointment is not a reward for what I have done, rather a recognition of the contribution I can make during my term of office as president,” said Petrie.

“I take the responsibility seriously and will continue to work hard in the best interests of Scottish football.

“We are a members organisation with responsibility for all of the game. We need to harness our strengths and engage in a constructive way with all of our stakeholders to make the Scottish FA and the national game the best it can be at all levels.”

Petrie becomes the third representative from Hibs to become SFA president, following former Easter Road chairman Harry Swan (1952-56) and ex-director Tommy Younger (1983-84).

“It goes without saying that today is a proud day and I am grateful to the membership for endorsing my presidency,” added the 63-year-old.

“It is an honour to become president and follow in the footsteps of Harry Swan, the respected former Hibernian chairman of 30 years standing, who became president in 1952 until 1956.

“Harry was a pioneer. He was a visionary president of the Scottish FA whose influence and forward thinking persuaded the game to look beyond its domestic horizons and embrace the possibilities that lay in European football.”

Alloa chairman Mike Mulraney was named as the new vice-president, also unopposed.

“I will leave no stone unturned in helping to take the game forward with a clear direction and in a collaborative way,” said Mulraney.

“During my time as a Scottish FA board member I have seen progress in working closer with the membership and as vice-president my commitment is to continue to advocate working more efficiently and effectively with and for our member clubs so that the pursuit of higher standards is achieved in an integrated fashion.”

This is a few days old now but thought it was worth discussion. Sorry if covered elsewhere.

Obviously the names Petrie and Mulraney are toxic.

Not quite sure of the process but cant help feel Rangers (or club1872) should be commenting on this in some capacity. Would hate to think that moves like this can just happen "unopposed" in this day and age.

I am most concerned about Mike Mulraney. I live in Alloa and everyone who knows him or his brother could tell you how much their family hate anything remotely related to Rangers.

It is deeply concerning that a man of his character has managed to worm his way into the SFA.

Just now, Waltersgotstyle said:

I am most concerned about Mike Mulraney. I live in Alloa and everyone who knows him or his brother could tell you how much their family hate anything remotely related to Rangers.

It is deeply concerning that a man of his character has managed to worm his way into the SFA.

Agreed. He's effectively a punter picked out of a pub by Celtic, for Celtic.

Its horrible to think that he's even around the game at all, let alone for years to come.

Is there no way that these guys could be removed from power, the whole sfa from top to bottom needs ripped up and to start again, do fans not have a say in who runs it, there must be something that could be done.

I know any suggestions would fall on deaf ears if it was coming from rangers and it would just be sevco blah blah blah and I think celtic are quite happy to have these two dobbers in place

celtic are very pleased with their useful idiot, Petrie and their supporter, Mulraney.

Fans of other Scottish clubs couldn’t care less nor could the clubs themselves except those in lower divisions who have zero influence.

The followers of other clubs have an ingrained antipathy to Rangers in much the same way as English fans have towards Manchester United. Why not if you’ve been under the cosh for decades?

The signing of English players like Butcher, Woods and (ahem) Sounness plus the apparent riches of Marlborough, then Murray, and the singing of Rule Britannia raised envy to hatred and that’s never going away.

Scottish fandom and football press, in my guess, are predominantly Nationalist - Jimmy Hill an’ that. Hence they accept batterings from celtic because celtic ar’nae English like sevco, ken?

The solution is to gain control of the SFA by some means beyond my competence to know. Either that or join the Carlisle and District League and work our way up from there. Where would Rangers be now if that had happened in 2012 with a competent manager? Anybody answering Admin2 is a tim.