Rangers fans biggest Scotland fans

3 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I don't think you can doubt the credentials of the data, I can't see why the guy publishing it would make something like that up, it could cost him his job for a start. 

The echo chamber nature of modern digital media, and it's particularly pronounced when it comes to football and politics, can lead to tunnel vision, the lack of exposure to people with different views can lead to you believing they simply don't exist. For me this data simply underlines the one universal truth about our support; that it's a very broad church. Personally I've not been to a Scotland match for a couple of decades, having been to almost every home match for the two decades prior to that. I've absolutely no time at all for middle-aged men dressed as extras from Rob Roy and my heart sinks when you see them marching around with feathers in their hats and a look on their face that suggests they think their more Scottish than anyone else. Knobs.

But then, in all honesty, I cringe at some of our songs and some of our fans too, it doesn't stop me supporting Rangers.

I hate flag waving (all flags, whatever their colour or design) and all shows of nationalism (all nationalism, whatever its flavour) make me uncomfortable. Yet I still find myself turning on the radio or the TV and following the Scotland match. In the end I still want 'us' to win, or at least fuckin compete. I also think that international football is perhaps the only 'pure' football left at the elite level. It's much harder (although not impossible) to buy success at that level, smaller nations can and do compete, and at some level it clearly stops being directly about money for the players and becomes about winning for winning's sake again. Yip, I know doing well at international level has a direct affect on a players earning ability and profile, but it still feels less mercenary than club football. 

For me then this simply proves that despite the best efforts of our haters, and some of our own, you simply can't pigeon-hole the Rangers support. We're broad, we come from all over, we've no proscribed views on any subject except wanting Rangers to win. Plus, on some level, the sheer pain and frustration watching Scotland brings does make watching Rangers all the more enjoyable, even in recent years. 

Sensible post. I think there was a change in the "Tartan Army" about 20 odd years ago. IMO it changed from a group of genuine football fans and became a glorified travelling social club. In my own experience the members that I have spoken with very limited knowledge of football and seem to know more about watering holes in far flung places like Riga and The Faroe Islands. each to their own I suppose but I think there are unfortunate parallels with the demise of Aberdeen in 90's and the demise with the Scotland national team/Tartan Army. Aberdeen went from a team that challenged for honours right into the 90's and then almost became a parody of themselves in the aftermath of that successful period. Their fans almost wore their down turn as a badge of honour to the point that they sarcastically cheered getting corners, touching the ball during regular humpings by the OF and European teams. Why the hell would they accept this? It's embarrassing. (They have also subsequently created a "rivalry" with Rangers to maintain their interest). I see the Scotland team and some of their fans in the same light. (the same sarcastic applauding happened during some of our drubbings). We've accepted mediocrity for so long it has almost become the norm in my eyes.

Let's face it, a blind man could see that there should have been major changes in our game many decades ago but the usual myopic SFA were happy enough to take the money from fans who were happy enough to pay over the odds for a tin pot stadium and truly woeful game experience for so long. As long as we get some Proclaimers, Runrig prematch, get bladdered into the bargain, what happens on the pitch disnea really matter...

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

2 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Sensible post. I think there was a change in the "Tartan Army" about 20 odd years ago. IMO it changed from a group of genuine football fans and became a glorified travelling social club. In my own experience the members that I have spoken with very limited knowledge of football and seem to know more about watering holes in far flung places like Riga and The Faroe Islands. each to their own I suppose but I think there are unfortunate parallels with the demise of Aberdeen in 90's and the demise with the Scotland national team/Tartan Army. Aberdeen went from a team that challenged for honours right into the 90's and then almost became a parody of themselves in the aftermath of that successful period. Their fans almost wore their down turn as a badge of honour to the point that they sarcastically cheered getting corners, touching the ball during regular humpings by the OF and European teams. Why the hell would they accept this? It's embarrassing. (They have also subsequently created a "rivalry" with Rangers to maintain their interest). I see the Scotland team and some of their fans in the same light. (the same sarcastic applauding happened during some of our drubbings). We've accepted mediocrity for so long it has almost become the norm in my eyes.

Let's face it, a blind man could see that there should have been major changes in our game many decades ago but the usual myopic SFA were happy enough to take the money from fans who were happy enough to pay over the odds for a tin pot stadium and truly woeful game experience for so long. As long as we get some Proclaimers, Runrig prematch, get bladdered into the bargain, what happens on the pitch disnea really matter...

The self-styled "Tartan Army" became an end in itself; various worthies appointed themselves  "Commanders", or some such, of area based "Battalions"; the football became of increasingly secondary importance. One need only consider the songbook, the most notable of which are "The Tartan Army Boys", and, Gawd help us all, "Doh-a-Deer", neither of which relate to the team, or even the sport. Maybe I am missing something (irony?), but it all seemed, and continues to seem, very much

"Carry On Scotland", and as camp as a row of tents.

40 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

The self-styled "Tartan Army" became an end in itself; various worthies appointed themselves  "Commanders", or some such, of area based "Battalions"; the football became of increasingly secondary importance. One need only consider the songbook, the most notable of which are "The Tartan Army Boys", and, Gawd help us all, "Doh-a-Deer", neither of which relate to the team, or even the sport. Maybe I am missing something (irony?), but it all seemed, and continues to seem, very much

Doh a deer ?????

A modern classic. 

37 minutes ago, Bill said:

Doh a deer ?????

A modern classic. 

I await the Tartan Army, Glasgow Merchant City Battalion,  rocking up to the National Stadium dressed as nuns. 

Royal Stewart wimples, de rigeur. 

3 hours ago, Uilleam said:

There's probably some sort of correlation between Scotland becoming a poor footballing nation and the 'Tartan Army' seeing football as of secondary importance. 

I'm not sure we can criticise them for their choice of songs, singing songs that have got nothing to do with football is hardly unique to them. 

But the dressing up and giving people ranks and all that martial nonsense, they deserve all the derision you can muster for that. 

On 13/06/2019 at 21:52, pete said:

I don't really get why you would not want to support your national team to be honest. I support Scotland, not the SFA or the Tartain Army. I won't let these people take my support for my national team away. Do I agree how Scotland is run these days then the answer is no but we can't change things by running away we can only change things by being bigger and louder than the rest. If people want to support Engerland or Ireland then fine but unless you have a connection then they are the ones with the identity crisis. My support is in front of the telly of course.:D

Well said.  I'm not surrendering my support of Scotland and it's sad to see so many Bears doing so.