Referring to the recent attack on Nigel Farage, the well-known lefty Jo Brand has said “Why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?” 

Is that acceptable? Will it be acceptable if/when acid is thrown at a politician?

She's a comedian.

We're getting into dangerous territory if a comedian can't crack a close-to-the-bone joke.

It's disappointing to see both the left and right actively supporting censorship.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

She's a comedian.

We're getting into dangerous territory if a comedian can't crack a close-to-the-bone joke.

It's disappointing to see both the left and right actively supporting censorship.

It's not a joke.

It's incitement to violence.  That is to say a crime.

Also utterly reprehensible to try to joke about acid attacks given the horrific effect on many victims in the U.K. already.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

She's a comedian.

I'd agree with you if she was actually funny but apart from her shape I've seen nothing from her to laugh at. In this case it's a clear incitement to commit violence against politicians. I'd rather our politicians enjoyed the freedom to move among us safely than Jo Brand feel even more entitled than she does.

Edited by Bill

19 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

It's not a joke.

It's incitement to violence.  That is to say a crime.

That reminds me of folk accusing others of advocating genocide on here.

Or accusing the Labour Party of anti-Semitism.   Or accusing the Tories of Islamophobia. 

Yawn.

I suppose the thing to do is imagine the remark was made about a politician you don't like. If it was would you still be outraged, or would you be rolling your eyes at those who were?

Imho, comedy should be able to tread close to taboo areas, but there ought to be more to it than malice.

I suppose that's the overly-polarised world we live in these days - folks can't just disagree with the other side of a political debate, they have to really fucking hate them. Brand's showboating in a not particularly witty way. I don't think it should be censored, but it's depressing to think she'd get much of a laugh for that.

In the old days no one would have bothered. Some might have laughed. One or two might have been upset but most would have let it pass by.

Nowadays nutters are out of control and might think throwing acid is a good idea and given it a try.

If anyone said something similar with lgbt folk as the target, imagine the screeching and would not Miss Brand be one of the lead screechers?

4 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

That reminds me of folk accusing others of advocating genocide on here.

Or accusing the Labour Party of anti-Semitism.   Or accusing the Tories of Islamophobia. 

Yawn.

The difference is I didn't advocate genocide at any time, a blowhard just thought he'd invent another of his fictional truths. 

In the case of Jo Brand, there's no interpretation required, no hint of satire. It's just plain vanilla malice and her and the BBC's attempts to hide it behind some notion of comedy is fatuous. This isn't some attack on freedom of expression. This is the proper condemnation of inciting violence.

In modern terms, only the victims get to decide what's offensive.  

It's a slippery slope but the authorities are thoroughly enjoying every opportunity to monitor everything said publicly. 

The less violent Britain becomes, the more obsessed we become with every act of violence.  The more tolerant we become, the more we become obsessed with racism/xenophobia.  

Brand is old hat.  It was a spiteful throwaway comment.  Who cares?

Edited by Gonzo79