1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

That reminds me of folk accusing others of advocating genocide on here.

Or accusing the Labour Party of anti-Semitism.   Or accusing the Tories of Islamophobia. 

It shouldn't remind you of that because it is nothing like that.

13 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

It shouldn't remind you of that because it is nothing like that.

I'm glad we have you to define the difference between an incitement to violence and a silly comment.

Up to our knees in offendedness...

It’s not really the joke that’s the issue. It’s the hypocrisy of Miss Brand.

Did Farage state the purpose of the gun? Was it to shoot recalcitrant remainers or to defend himself from angry thwarted leavers?

I'm not sure I understand why so many are rushing to defend free speech in this matter. Jo Brand was absolutely free to say what she did and I see no possible reason to dispute that. She was even able to express her views on a national broadcast medium that allowed her access to millions of people.

The issue isn't about denial of free speech, since there was none. The issue is entirely about accountability for the speech you are entirely free to choose to make.

Whatever you think of them or what they said, people like Danny Baker and Jeremy Clarkson were held accountable for what they said/did and summarily fired without hesitation. I believe, were it not for the fact Jo Brand is part of the iconic leftist set at the BBC, she would have been sacked already.

I agree people should be held accountable for the things they say.  But context is hugely important.

Saying something during a comedy programme or a football match is not the same as saying it during a political rally.

Edited by Gonzo79

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I agree people should be held accountable for the things they say.  But context is hugely important.

Saying something during a comedy programme or a football match is not the same as saying it during a political rally.

What? The context that it was Jo Brand and not Danny Baker? Or the context that it was an overt challenge to a perceived right wing politician and not some imagined racism aimed at a black royal? Maybe you're more right than you imagine, maybe context actually is everything.