Greg Docherty Article

Greg Docherty reveals Andy Halliday inspiration as he looks to make Rangers impact

The midfielder was out on loan last season but is desperate to make his mark under Steven Gerrard.

Greg Docherty could barely have done more to please Rangers gaffer Steven Gerrard.

When the Ibrox boss sent the midfielder to Shrewsbury Town on loan a year ago there were two objectives.

To play games and to impress.

Having racked up 50 
appearances and bagged 10 goals for the League One outfit, Docherty’s first box was 
comfortably ticked.

Throw in the fact that he picked up the club’s Player of the Year award and you’d have to say he has done everything his manager asked of him.

When Gers stars report back for pre-season training at the Hummel Training Centre tomorrow, the 22-year-old will attempt to show Gerrard the full benefits of his stint with the Shrews down south.

Docherty accepted that he wasn’t going to play regularly at Ibrox last term so launched himself into a new experience at New Meadow.

But after a season of hard graft, three different bosses and a memorable FA Cup goal on live TV, he feels he’s a much improved player from 12 months ago.

As a boyhood Rangers fan, he has watched every game from his digs in Shropshire, admiring how Gerrard has shaped a 
new-look midfield.

Towards the end of the 
season, he marvelled at the form of experienced duo Steven Davis and Scott Arfield in the Ibrox engine room.

And now Docherty feels ready to join them. Gearing up for the biggest summer of his career so far, the former Hamilton Accies kid is relishing the opportunity to compete with the likes of Davis, Arfield, Ryan Jack and Glen Kamara for a slot in Gerrard’s starting line-up.

He told MailSport: “The 
midfield has been terrific for Rangers, especially towards the end of the campaign.

“But I have to believe I can fight my way in there. I knew when I signed for the club there would be quality additions to the squad.

“I’ve loved watching Davo and Scotty in particular. They’ve both played at the highest level and I want to be around these guys to learn off them.

“I spent a couple of weeks at the training ground near the end of the season and it was great speaking to them.

“Those boys, along with the likes of Ryan Jack and Glen Kamara, have got the lot. But I definitely feel I can bring something different to the midfield. I have belief in my own ability.

“In certain games, I believe I can contribute if the manager needs something different.

“I got close to Scotty last year because he was in from day one. And the odd day I went back, he was full of praise for me.

“He’d ask how many goals I had at Shrewsbury and he was pleased I was doing well. He’d send me few texts as well.

“I watched him score two belters for Canada last week.

“He was talking about improving that side of his game last pre-season so that proves he has worked on it. He’s such a clever player.

“That’s the side I’m 
desperate to learn off him, the cuteness of his play.

“With Davo, he just oozes class and he’s a joy to watch. He’s a top midfielder.

“I’m aware that the 
balance of the midfield has looked really good recently and I’ve a fight on my hands to get in.

“But I knew it was 
never going to be straightforward at such a big club. I have to trust myself, stay fit and, when the opportunity comes, I need to take it.”

Rangers monitored Docherty’s performances at Shrewsbury on a regular basis, with assistant boss Gary 
McAllister watching him in the flesh more than once.

New Ibrox loans manager Billy Kirkwood developed a bond with the midfielder and wouldn’t always tell him when he was going to be in the stand.

Docherty admits he matured a lot in England – and feels 
satisfied he achieved what he wanted by going out on loan.

Now he would love to emulate Rangers team-mate Andy 
Halliday who was also 
previously shipped out before returning to nail down a spot in Gerrard’s squad.

Doc said: “I feel I’ve improved massively after the experience of going out on loan. Playing games is the best way to do that but everything was new to me down there.

“Different people, different grounds, different style of play.

“I was the only Scottish boy in the dressing-room so I 
had to adjust to a different 
environment.

“I had a few managers as well so there were highs and lows. To come through it then pick up the Player of the Year award was brilliant.

“I’ve put myself in a good place coming back to Rangers.

“The chat I had with the 
manager a year ago was about playing games and doing well.

“I have now achieved both of those targets.

“Before I went, I only knew Kirky in passing. We would say hello in the corridor at the training ground.

“But since he took on his new role we’ve developed a really close relationship. He has been the middle man, feeding 
information back to the club and the management.

“If I ever needed anything at all, Kirky was always there – we had regular contact.

“I lost count of the amount of games he was down to watch.

“Sometimes he’d let me know but the odd time I’d get a text afterwards to say he’d been there.

“And if I’d played well, it was great to know that.

“I now look at someone like Andy.

“He went out on loan, came back to Rangers and forced his way back in.

“His attitude is first class, you can’t fault him. He has taken a lot of stick but just brushes it off and bounces back. I’m full of admiration for him.

“He has shown in the last year just how much he wants to be at the club – that’s the guys I have to look at.

“He’s willing to give his heart and soul for a jersey and I feel the same.”

Docherty and Halliday are now in a growing group of Rangers supporters in Gerrard’s 
dressing-room who are all desperate 
to wrestle the 
Premiership trophy off Celtic and stop their rivals winning nine-in-a-row.

The likes of Allan McGregor, Graham Dorrans, Jack, Jamie Murphy and new boy Greg Stewart also fall into that 
category. Docherty is 
convinced it will be a close-run title race this season – and is desperate to be part of it.

He said: “To be part of a squad going for the championship would be priceless for me.

“Just the prospect of Rangers being involved in a proper race – as it was last season before our blip in January – would be really exciting.

“The manager has spoken about the team finding that consistency and, if that 
happens, it will be great.

“Things are different now – if you look at the Old Firm games last season, it’s now a more 
level playing field between Celtic and Rangers.

“The clubs will be going head to head for the title and it’s an exciting prospect for me to be involved in it.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/greg-docherty-reveals-andy-halliday-16522664

I have high hopes for him.  Much like Middleton, I think he'll be a big player for us in years to come.  Not sure he'll have much of a say during the forthcoming season though.  We have a decent midfield as it stands but Arfield and Davis will be good to learn from.

I very much hope Docherty gets a place in our squad for the coming season, he won't let us down.

Needs to get a fair bit of game time to be able to continue his improvement.

If we were buying him from Shrewsbury, they'd want a seven figure fee.

Like a new signing........!!

Young players like Middleton, jones, Docherty, etc are a foundation for the next generation at Ibrox. We always said Rangers should be developing young players and this is us doing that. Some will obviously travel faster than others but I don't think we will be pushing Docherty into our first team next season. Another loan season at a higher level would seem more productive in the long term.