As most of us played football, not necessarily to any great level, but even if just as kids, then we've probably all looked at professional players and imagined what we could have done if we'd had their ability. We of course view that opportunity through the prism of our own lives which have been largely untouched by adulation, great wealth and expectation. 

I saw the new film about Maradona at the weekend, and it's fantastic. Now, it might not be for everyone, firstly it's a documentary and secondly it's largely in Italian and Spanish so subtitled, so if that's not your thing quit reading now. 

For me, as a football fan rapidly approaching my the end of my fifth decade one this earth, Maradona was the greatest player of my generation. This film focuses on his time at Napoli, the peak of his career. He took a side that had never troubled the honours in Italian football and usually fought relegation, from the poorest and most unfashionable city in the country and turned them into one of the best sides in the world. During that period he also won the World Cup and reached the final again four years later, both as captain. 

The film is much more than football though, it's an insight into the utter madness that was his life. He was treated like a God in Naples and eventually that drove him mad. 

It's made by the same director who made Amy and Senna, both of which are stunning films. This is no different. It truly gives you an insight into how his life in Naples was and how no one is really equipped to deal with that. 

If you can, go see it, I'm not sure what kind of release it's getting, I saw it at the GFT in Glasgow if that helps. 

If nothing else you'll see footage of the greatest player ever on the big screen, it's almost worth it for that alone. 

It's on my to do list John. I really enjoyed Senna and that's from someone who would rather watch paint dry than Formula 1. As you said, Maradona was THE player of that generation and was a flawed and fascinating character (the best documentary fodder IMO). When you look at the stats during that period, it really shows how football has changed (evolved?). We are used to Messi and Ronaldo banging in 40 plus goals season after season but during that period Maradona would average about 11/12 league goals a season (most times being top scorer). I'm not sure if that's say more about Messi and Ronaldo or modern day football and defending?

Anyway, great call. I'll check it out. I'm also looking forward to the Roberto Duran film that's coming soon

PS. For what's it's worth, here's a few other footie documentaries that are up there IMO

Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of the New York Cosmos

Next Goal Wins (an underdog tale about American Samoa trying to qualify for the World Cup)

Looking forward to seeing this although annoyed its not in the cinemas in Dubai.

Maradona without doubt the greatest ever footballer. The debate is about who is second best. I cant imagine Messi going to say Villarreal and winning them the title twice and a european trophy while being kicked all over the park and playing on farm pitches. Imagine how good Maradona would have been playing on bowling greens with Xavi and Iniesta behind him!!

One of the things the film gets across well is the sheer brutality that Maradona faced in every match he played. Italian football was still fairly defensive during that period too, 'catenaccio' was still the over-riding culture in 80s Serie A. For me that's why he's the greatest player ever, I just don't think Messi in particular would have been allowed to play at that time. 

I wonder if the gradual decline in Italian club football (and I accept these things are all relative) is connected to the rule changes in football that have removed much of the physicality and fouling from the sport. 

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

One of the things the film gets across well is the sheer brutality that Maradona faced in every match he played. Italian football was still fairly defensive during that period too, 'catenaccio' was still the over-riding culture in 80s Serie A. For me that's why he's the greatest player ever, I just don't think Messi in particular would have been allowed to play at that time. 

I wonder if the gradual decline in Italian club football (and I accept these things are all relative) is connected to the rule changes in football that have removed much of the physicality and fouling from the sport. 

Not to mention his broken leg administered by the Butcher of Bilboa (Goikoetxea)

Its really an era / age debate to have. I know there was great players in the 50s-70s like Eusebio, Pele, Cruyff, Best and others but I always say it should be judged on who you actually saw.

For me my top 10:

1) Maradona

2) Messi

3) Zidane

4) The Real Ronaldo

5) Ronaldo

6) Bobby Baggio

7) Henry

8 ) Rivaldo

9) Hagi

10) B Laudrup (just pips Gascoigne)

Edited by Gribz