Official: Rangers sign Joe Aribo

RANGERS are delighted to announce the signing of Joe Aribo from English Championship side Charlton Athletic, subject to international clearance.  

The highly rated 22-year-old, who had options to move elsewhere, has made the decision to join the Gers on a four-year-deal.

Read more:

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/rangers-sign-joe-aribo/

Never heard of this guy but I tend to try to avoid watching the English Championship as you rarely see good football being played there, so I am a little uninspired by another signing from obscurity. I like what SG has to say about him though, and like with everyone will get my full support and hope they turn out to be better than their CV would suggest. 

The positives are he is the right age, the right price, and with good potential to improve and be a sellable asset in a year or two if he does well. he also played a lot of games and returned a decent goals ratio. Creativity is what we badly lacked last year, so if this guy can do what SG says he can do on a consistent basis, that will improve our side. The negative is he is coming from a poor side in a vastly overpriced and overrated league, where the pressure he will have been under is a million miles away from what he will find with us. If he has one good game in 3 at Charlton he could win POTY, at Rangers he will be slaughtered. That step up is difficult for someone who has not played at any decent level or under any pressure to win things. 

However if Aribo is to play wide left (therefore replacing Kent) and contributes a similar goals tally (with assists on top) as he did last year at Charlton, that will be an improvement on Kent, so will improve our points tally.

Just got to back the manager and scouting staff and hope these key signings pay off.

Still to get our marquee signing to get the fans excited, so hopefully still a quality player to come in.

Edit: Just realised the stats for Aribo last season were not even in the Championship, but League 1 where they finished 3rd but got promoted via playoffs. That is a massive difference and an even bigger gamble than I had thought. Just like Edmundson who has come from League 2, there must be better players across Europe who have played at a higher level than this pub football level in England.  Very sceptical!

Edited by Tannochsidebear

13 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I tend to try to avoid watching the English Championship as you rarely see good football being played there, so I am a little uninspired by another signing from obscurity.

Poppycock!

12 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Never heard of this guy but I tend to try to avoid watching the English Championship as you rarely see good football being played there, so I am a little uninspired by another signing from obscurity. I like what SG has to say about him though, and like with everyone will get my full support and hope they turn out to be better than their CV would suggest. 

The positives are he is the right age, the right price, and with good potential to improve and be a sellable asset in a year or two if he does well. he also played a lot of games and returned a decent goals ratio. Creativity is what we badly lacked last year, so if this guy can do what SG says he can do on a consistent basis, that will improve our side. The negative is he is coming from a poor side in a vastly overpriced and overrated league, where the pressure he will have been under is a million miles away from what he will find with us. If he has one good game in 3 at Charlton he could win POTY, at Rangers he will be slaughtered. That step up is difficult for someone who has not played at any decent level or under any pressure to win things. 

However if Aribo is to play wide left (therefore replacing Kent) and contributes a similar goals tally (with assists on top) as he did last year at Charlton, that will be an improvement on Kent, so will improve our points tally.

Just got to back the manager and scouting staff and hope these key signings pay off.

Still to get our marquee signing to get the fans excited, so hopefully still a quality player to come in.

Edit: Just realised the stats for Aribo last season were not even in the Championship, but League 1 where they finished 3rd but got promoted via playoffs. That is a massive difference and an even bigger gamble than I had thought. Just like Edmundson who has come from League 2, there must be better players across Europe who have played at a higher level than this pub football level in England.  Very sceptical!

I've only seen him the once, which was in the League One Play Off final against Sunderland.  And all I would say is "wait till you see him play".  Looked to me like the best player on the park.  Even before we were linked with him, and whilst watching that game I was saying to myself "I wouldn't mind Rangers picking this lad up".  He's fast, he's direct, he's skillful, he's strong, he's prepared to have a pop from outside the box and he oozes the confidence to take players on and commit them.

Not 100% sure where we would play him but, in that game against Sunderland, they actually played him as an inverted attacking midfielder - played on the right hand side for most of the game.

I would hold back on your skepticism until you've seen the lad play.  I, personally, am very excited by this signing.

2 minutes ago, craig said:

I've only seen him the once, which was in the League One Play Off final against Sunderland.  And all I would say is "wait till you see him play".  Looked to me like the best player on the park.  Even before we were linked with him, and whilst watching that game I was saying to myself "I wouldn't mind Rangers picking this lad up".  He's fast, he's direct, he's skillful, he's strong, he's prepared to have a pop from outside the box and he oozes the confidence to take players on and commit them.

Not 100% sure where we would play him but, in that game against Sunderland, they actually played him as an inverted attacking midfielder - played on the right hand side for most of the game.

I would hold back on your skepticism until you've seen the lad play.  I, personally, am very excited by this signing.

Cheers Craig. As I said I support all the new players in the stadiums and wish them nothing but the best, the scepticism is reserved for on here where it belongs! It is a huge jump up though.

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Poppycock!

Very insightful!

I dont watch that league a lot, but when I do see a game, the defending is woeful, the long ball game is used often, the finishing is poor, and it is all 100 mph in midfield. Not what I want to watch.

11 minutes ago, craig said:

I'm sure I heard SG say that he wanted him because we lack a left-footed midfielder; suggests to me he will partner Arfield and Jack and just in from Kent.

2 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I'm sure I heard SG say that he wanted him because we lack a left-footed midfielder; suggests to me he will partner Arfield and Jack and just in from Kent.

Yeah, I remember SG saying that.  I was just pointing out that Charlton used him, in that one game that I saw, on the right hand side.