Official: Rangers sign Joe Aribo

Quite simply, the likes of Aribo and Edmundson are the sort of players we are signing with a view to making a big profit at a future date.  It's where we're at due to our recent problems and the country we play in.

If we want to just sign proven players from big clubs, in good leagues, we're going to require a suger daddy and that looks extremely unlikely. 

I like the look of this lad. Young, athletic and very dynamic and will only cost 300k. It appears he was in demand so it could work out as a great deal for us. Aribo and Kamara have come in for a total of 350,000k and hopefully they will add some composure, energy and dynamism to our midfield 

Hastie, Aribo, Jones, Kamara, Morelos, Polster, Edmundson, Docherty, Stewart, Katic - all appear to share a similar profile- players we can use, improve and sell for good profit. It’s now clear the club is being run on a far more sustainable basis than for a very long time and with a clear operating mission. The hope has to be that, as we rightly become a selling club, we also become capable of routinely winning trophies and not just a club that produces a winning team every ten years or so like Ajax.

Edited by Bill

30 minutes ago, Bill said:

Hastie, Aribo, Jones, Kamara, Morelos, Polster, Edmundson, Docherty, Stewart, Katic - all appear to share a similar profile- players we can use, improve and sell for good profit. It’s now clear the club is being run on a far more sustainable basis than for a very long time as with a clear operating mission. The hope has to be that, as we rightly become a selling club, we also become capable of routinely winning trophies and not just a club that produces a winning team every ten years or so like Ajax.

I share this view Bill.  This has to be our business model rather than relying on funds continually from the board members.  Although we'd all like to see big names arrive again at Ibrox, I just don't want us on that slippery slope to huge debts again.  It's easily done.  With the debt to equity confirmed and with this change in our recruitment strategy, the financial side of our club is looking really healthy, possibly for the first time in 40 years.  Now all we have to do is start winning things again and we will be in a fantastic position.  

He’s undoubtedly worth the 300K payed for him and while nothing is ever certain the chances are he will be worth millions in a couple of years or so. The frustration of Lee Bowyer over losing this prize asset for a relative pittance is understandable to a degree.

Though I also sense annoyance that the boys decision was at least partly influenced by the chance to play for Steven Gerard. Another example if any more were needed illustrating the peripheral benefits of being managed by such a legendary figure.

Getting back to Aribo hopefully he is the answer to a niggling problem. We know we can beat the better teams who actually try to come out and play us. The yahoos were outplayed by us in 3 out of 4 games last term while being beaten by us twice.

As we all know a major points drain has been the problem of failing to break down park the bus strategies. Having watched Aribo in a number of compilations it’s clear he is a very strong and difficult to deal with individual. 

He’s also a ball winner who will scrap for it when we’re out of possession and has the ability to then go somewhere with that ball when he wins it. Signing him is a no brainer. Here’s hoping he’s the answer to our issue.

If so I foresee a heap of goals coming our way from a team that already finished last season as top scorers.  We need to go all out for the title this term and while it won’t be easy if we don’t manage it this season I suspect it could be even more difficult next season.

The title has to take priority. I want us to make the Europa group stages but if/when that happens I want the group stages to be regarded as a side show with priority being given to the league matches. Just making the groups is the greatest earning factor, results are not massively important after qualifying.

I think that key players should even be rested for group matches which are followed by a key Sunday match. We need 55 and we need at least the chance to qualify for the CL group stages. Accomplish that and we’re truly back. 

Edited by JFK-1

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Hastie, Aribo, Jones, Kamara, Morelos, Polster, Edmundson, Docherty, Stewart, Katic - all appear to share a similar profile- players we can use, improve and sell for good profit. It’s now clear the club is being run on a far more sustainable basis than for a very long time as with a clear operating mission. The hope has to be that, as we rightly become a selling club, we also become capable of routinely winning trophies and not just a club that produces a winning team every ten years or so like Ajax.

Not sure what this thing about Ajax is  but they never won the league since 2013-2014 until this season. Even then it was more PSV that threw it away. I doubt Rangers supporters would go for that in normal circumstances. They have not won anything in Europe since 1995 so not really anything to measure ourselves on.