Official: Rangers sign Joe Aribo

Joe Aribo capture proves Rangers are a huge draw insists Mark Allen as he provides transfer update

Steven Gerrard has landed one of his top targets as the midfielder penned a four-year deal contract at Ibrox.

Mark Allen says it’s a sign of Rangers’ pulling power that they got Joe Aribo ahead of a host of other clubs.

The Ibrox director of football believes snatching the sought-after Charlton midfielder on a £300,000 deal is proof that Gers are now a big attraction for players in England.

Allen has been delighted with their summer transfer activity so far but admits they won’t stop working to try and improve the squad until the window closes in August.

After Aribo was announced, beating off competition from Premier League, Championship and Bundesliga sides, Allen said: “We’ve fought off a lot of competition for Joe. I don’t think it’s any secret that teams were interested.

“But he felt that this was the right project for him.

“We’re really satisfied with it and he was one of our targets from very early doors.

“In terms of Rangers’ pulling power, the proof is in the pudding when a player like that signs on the dotted line.

“We’re under no illusions about the level of this club. With the exposure, 50,000 fans every other week, this club is massive.

“When you look under the skin and see what it’s all about, it becomes a much easier decision for players to make.

“With us being back early for Europa League qualifiers, it was vital that we got our targets boxed off as quickly as we could and that has been the case.

“There have been a lot of late nights and early mornings but we’ve been focused on where we’ve been trying to get to from the word go.

“I’m pleased to say that it’s gone well so far.

“How many more do we want? I’ve always said we’ll never say that we’re done until the window is closed.

“We’re satisfied with what we’ve done to date – let’s just see what else happens.”

Allen is with Gerrard and his staff at their pre-season training base in Portugal.

But he’s still got a job to do back home, with the likes of Kyle Lafferty, Eros Grezda, Graham Dorrans, Jason Holt and Jordan Rossiter all surplus to requirements.

The Welshman admits they’re working with those players and their representatives to sort out their futures.

He said: “Every season here the bar gets raised and the manager will assess his squad in terms of what he believes he needs to take us to the next level.

“Unfortunately, there are going to be people who fall out of that and our job now is to reconcile the best we can for us, the players and the club.”

Allen is hopeful that with the business Gerrard has done so far, Rangers can enjoy a successful campaign domestically and in Europe.

But he’s well aware that with the 39-year-old going into just his second season as a manager, there’s plenty of work still to be done.

He said: “We approach every season wanting to do well and this is no different.

“The attitude and conduct of the players here has been first class and the dedication at this camp in Portugal has been superb.

“Whether that manifests itself into a successful season, we’ll have to wait and see. But we’re pleased with how everything is going.

“We set ourselves some bars last season that we wanted to hit but there was a lot of change at the club in terms of personnel coming in.

“It always takes time for people to settle and some do it better than others.

“Overall, we’re pleased with the progress we’re making but we all know, ultimately, where we’re trying to get to.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/joe-aribo-capture-proves-rangers-17268032

MARCUS GAYLE insists Rangers new boy Joe Aribo can become a star in the English Premier League – IF he does what Steven Gerrard says.

The midfielder joined the Ibrox side on a four-year deal after quitting Championship new boys Charlton.

Addicks boss Lee Bowyer insisted it was the wrong move for the 22-year-old.

He claimed Aribo wouldn’t be able to make the move to the English top-flight if he signed for Gers, and would have been better off joining Brentford.

But former Light Blues ace Marcus Gayle - who managed Aribo at non-league club Staines Town in 2014 - reckons he can make the step up in years to come thanks to England legend Gerrard.

Speaking to talkSPORT, he said: “I can see within two or three years, he’ll play in the Premier League, no doubt.

“He’s got that left foot, he goes past people, he’s creative and he’s a box-to-box player.

“He’s got the opportunity to sharpen those skills and tools to further his dream of playing in the top-flight in England.

“As a manager, you’re part of a player’s development, but at the same time, Lee Bowyer is employed by Charlton, he’s got to think and say the right things that suit Charlton.

“Brentford is a brilliant club to sign for, so I agree with Lee on that, but at the same time, you’ve got a club the size of Glasgow Rangers wanting you with Steve Gerrard as the manager.

“Under Steven, what he’ll learn is the mentality to win games, the intensity of training day in, day out, dedicating yourself even more than what he’s doing at the moment.

“He’ll learn that under a Champions League winner.

“Playing in front of 50,000 fans, not many people will do that as a player, but Joe will do that on a regular basis.

“It’s the pressure of winning games, you have to win games at Glasgow Rangers, that’s a must.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4422677/joe-aribo-rangers-steven-gerrard-marcus-gayle/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1561730474

Anyone see Aribo’s video from the Portugal training camp ??

out wide right, cut in from the wing, onto the left foot and pinged one I to the top corner, literally in off both post and bar.

the lad can definitely play on the right hand side as an inverted winger

6 hours ago, craig said:

Anyone see Aribo’s video from the Portugal training camp ??

out wide right, cut in from the wing, onto the left foot and pinged one I to the top corner, literally in off both post and bar.

the lad can definitely play on the right hand side as an inverted winger

I think that was Ojo Craig. Aribo wasn’t involved in that drill. 

10 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

I hear different opinions about where Stewart plays.

Where do you think he plays?

Stewart's a forward that plays off a striker, but can also play right- or left-wing.

Aribo, for me, plays one line further back; he's a box-to-box midfielder. 

In our current formation, Stewart would occupy one of the front three positions (i.e. Arfield, Kent, Defoe), while Aribo would occupy one of the central midfield positions (i.e. Jack, Davis, Kamara). 

Where did you think they played?

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Stewart's a forward that plays off a striker, but can also play right- or left-wing.

He’s basically ideal for he 4-3-2-1. Can play the 4-3-3 but you won’t get anything like the best of him. I’d suggest with the depth we have on the wings he won’t play in the 4-3-3 tbh. 

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Aribo, for me, plays one line further back; he's a box-to-box midfielder. 

In our current formation, Stewart would occupy one of the front three positions (i.e. Arfield, Kent, Defoe), while Aribo would occupy one of the central midfield positions (i.e. Jack, Davis, Kamara). 

Where did you think they played?

Stewart playing off the striker, yes.  Suspect he is wasted on the wings.  Besides, we have loads of wide players already.

Aribo might well be a box to box midfielder but I think that he will play furthest forward in a midfield three.  Reason being that we don't need him to play further back.

I might be wrong but I see Stewart as being signed so that when Aribo is out we are not forced to play without an attacking player between the midfield and forward line.

I should add that Aribo's role would likely change in more difficult European matches.