Newcastle to approach Gerrard

Dave King and the Rangers board are confident Steven Gerrard will not quit Rangers this summer to take over at Newcastle United, Football Insider has learned.

The club hierarchy are aware that the Premier League big hitters are readying an approach for Gerrard as they step up their search to replace Rafael Benitez.

As revealed by Football Insider last week, Newcastle are weighing up a move for the Light Blues boss as they look at a younger profile of manager as well as more tried and trusted targets.

Ibrox sources have told Football Insider that King and the board are convinced Gerrard is totally committed to Rangers and overseeing a second campaign from the dugout.

The club chiefs recognise Newcastle are a major Premier League club but believe the uncertainty over the ownership and Mike Ashley’s lack of ambition will ensure the Liverpool icon stays put.

Gerrard, 39, is about to embark on his second season at Rangers after a sold first year in which the club finished second in the league, made notable progress but failed to end their trophy drought and once again were well adrift of treble winners Celtic.

The former midfielder has been backed by the club’s hierarchy in this summer’s market and seven new signings have already been secured, including the impressive recent captures of centre-back George Edmundson and goalscoring midfielder Joe Aribo.

Gerrard has made no secret of his ambition to eventually manage in the Premier League, with his dream to take over one day at Anfield.

But Rangers are convinced he wants to properly learn his trade at Ibrox and not follow former England teammate Frank Lampard in walking out after one season, at Derby County, as he heads to Chelsea.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/ibrox-sources-rangers-confident-gerrard-wont-quit-for-newcastle/

Hypothetically, Mr Mash would be torn between trying to do a number on us (remove our manager as we approach a new season with recruitment nearly done) and writing us a cheque for millions in compensation.

If SG was to get a call from an EPL club, it would certainly give him a decision to make.

I reckon from his POV, an optimistic management pathway is Rangers, EPL club (middle to bottom), Liverpool.

I'd hope that he'd see such a pathway as an apprenticeship that is in his best interests to complete, or in other words, he needs to successfully finish the job he has started with Rangers...but this is professional football and it seldom works that way.

Another factor is if SG himself believes that he is getting sufficient backing to bridge the gap and win the title.

One big plus is that Rodgers has gone and a lesser manager is in charge. The summer transfer window is next-up.

Edited by buster.

Funny enough, I think that Gerrard would see a move to Newcastle as a deterrent to eventually taking over at Anfield. Say that he becomes manager of Newcastle, and Ashley and Co do their usual shafting of the manager act, and Newcastle are relegated. That would damage his opportunity of being appointed at Liverpool. If he stays and does well in Scotland (i.e. we win the league), he can take credit for 'turning the ship around'. Ryan Kent was a nobody who had not performed well whilst on loan at other clubs. He came to us, did well and now he is rated as a 12m player by Liverpool. So being in Scotland, should not in itself be viewed in a negative light. I think there is far more chance of doing well (i.e. in terms of silverware) in Scotland, than in taking over a crisis club. Also, Gerrard's old gaffer (and mentor) has just walked away from the club, and no doubt he would get the inside scope before even considering a switch. 

As long as Ashley runs the ship, Newcastle ought to be toxic to any manager who isn't desperate for a job. I like to think Gerrard would have way more integrity than that.

4 minutes ago, Davie P said:

Funny enough, I think that Gerrard would see a move to Newcastle as a deterrent to eventually taking over at Anfield. Say that he becomes manager of Newcastle, and Ashley and Co do their usual shafting of the manager act, and Newcastle are relegated. That would damage his opportunity of being appointed at Liverpool. If he stays and does well in Scotland (i.e. we win the league), he can take credit for 'turning the ship around'. Ryan Kent was a nobody who had not performed well whilst on loan at other clubs. He came to us, did well and now he is rated as a 12m player by Liverpool. So being in Scotland, should not in itself be viewed in a negative light. I think there is far more chance of doing well (i.e. in terms of silverware) in Scotland, than in taking over a crisis club. Also, Gerrard's old gaffer (and mentor) has just walked away from the club, and no doubt he would get the inside scope before even considering a switch. 

The Newcastle link is probably opportunistic clickbait, 2+2=5.

EPL clubs have tended to go for foreign experience of late,...... but if Lampard was to do well at Chelsea it might make a chairman or two to seriously consider Gerrard, if we make a good start to the season....2 if's and a might = long odds.

The problem with footballers and football managers is their unwavering self-belief. Every manager who has gone in at Newcastle in recent years has believed they're capable of 'turning' them into a force again, Gerrard is no different. Gerrard's relationship with Benitez being strained Gerrard might just fancy showing he could take Newcastle further than his old boss could. With Gerrard's family still in England a move south is almost certainly something that will happen at some point soon. 

Gerrard is smart enough to know that if our season starts badly, say we're put out of Europe early, lose in the League Cup and drop league points and find ourselves trailing that he'll come under pressure. His current elevated status among our support won't last long if we're losing away to Motherwell and Livingston again. 

All that being said unless there's been a fall out with our board I can't see Gerrard moving this summer. He's demonstrated throughout his career a degree of loyalty that's uncommon today. Okay, it's easier being 'loyal' to a club who are one of the biggest in the world and that are consistently challenging for honours, but it's still fairly rare. Based on nothing but my opinion I think Gerrard would like to win the league with us and have a crack at the Champion's League. If those two things happen I expect we'll struggle to hang onto him.

The very idea of someone like Gerrard being driven by a sense of “loyalty” to Rangers is laughable, the kind of naivety that ignores the world around us, the sort of sentimentality that persuades people to believe Rangers is still a major attraction to top football people. Those days are long gone.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

The very idea of someone like Gerrard being driven by a sense of “loyalty” to Rangers is laughable, the kind of naivety that ignores the world around us, the sort of sentimentality that persuades people to believe Rangers is still a major attraction to top football people. Those days are long gone.

Loyalty to Rangers and getting into bed with Ashely and Newcastlte who are direct enemies of his beloved Liverpool are all part of an equation that I would say will keep Gerrard at Ibrox. Gerrard will not be super-loyal to Rangers but is smart enough to choose his stepping stones. I severely doubt Newcastle will be one of them.

4 minutes ago, pete said:

Loyalty to Rangers and getting into bed with Ashely and Newcastlte who are direct enemies of his beloved Liverpool are all part of an equation that I would say will keep Gerrard at Ibrox. Gerrard will not be super-loyal to Rangers but is smart enough to choose his stepping stones. I severely doubt Newcastle will be one of them.

What you're saying is that any decision will be based on self-interest, which I agree with entirely. Loyalty to self, whatever the carefully manicured public image, will always trump loyalty to club/employer. Whether Gerrard stays or goes will not be based on any sense of loyalty that fans could relate to. For that reason, I also can't see him entering the lottery of Newcastle Utd.