Special Pod: The 1989 Mo Johnston Bombshell

Delighted to say all our usual contributors will be returning for the new season as well as a few new voices.

Well-kent RFC community polemicist @D'Artagnan will be joining the team and author of several books on the club, Iain Duff will also bring his fantastic knowledge of the club's history to our weekly debates.  Journalist and current Head of News at the Dundee Evening Telegraph David Wren will be another new face and help us all navigate through the maze that is Scottish media landscape.

We'll also be looking to provide more preview shows ahead of games and, technical challenges permitting, we may even be live outside Ibrox with team news and more on match-days.  Feel free to throw cabbages and other rotten veg at @Govan Rear Bear if you spot him recording. ;)

8 minutes ago, buster. said:

Hopefully we'll soon be talking more about Aribo than Johnston.

No doubt about it but given the date, this is a great chance to discuss what still remains a nuclear topic and I'm sure the lads will do a great job of doing that and also spend some time on our first EL qualifier as well.

On 03/07/2019 at 09:05, Frankie said:

No doubt about it but given the date, this is a great chance to discuss what still remains a nuclear topic and I'm sure the lads will do a great job of doing that and also spend some time on our first EL qualifier as well.

Personally I thought he did very well for our team .

30 years, unreal.

I think it was a masterstroke from Souness to add goals to Rangers and remove goals from Celtic - at the time he was in the top 3 of Scottish strikers. My memories of it was seeing Mo Jo signing for Celtic and I remember saying that may help Celtic win the league then all of a sudden he is unvealed at Ibrox and I recall the evening news interviewing Bears outside Ibrox who were throwing their season tickets back.

On 03/07/2019 at 10:05, Frankie said:

Footballing social media outlets naturally go over the historical and reminice.

If done with a fresh outlook or new angles then it'll always be of interest.

That said, I think Bears desperately need a new era of success, especially younger Bears who'll want some hands-on experience of enjoying it in the moment.

I was at the game after Celtic announced they'd signed him vs Aberdeen and we got beat 3-0 at home. 

When we got him my feelings were excitement he was a good striker that scored goals. I wasn't really old enough to see how big a thing it was.

Looking back though, I think the reason it became such a huge thing was down to Celtic's mishandling of it from their side. Sure, the religion factor was big and would still have been a moment but Celtic made a complete ar*e of his signing.

It's time we(Rangers supporters) took control of our club's history.

The MoJo anniversary is once again being utilised to state he was our first RC signing. 

The first fifty years of our club, 1872 to 1922; we signed a few dozen RCs, the same number as most other Scots clubs. Robert McIlroy's Rangers Historian listed most of the names thirty years past. Names like Archie Kyle, five years as a regular player, over 200 appearances, and a great crowd favourite. Sellik's first ever goalscorer, Neil McCallum had played for Rangers, Doc' Kivlichan signed for Rangers twice, another fans' favourite. On returning from Sellik, he considered he had returned home. He went on to be Sellik's club Doctor for many years.

Anyways, you get the message. Even when MoJo signed, John Spencer was on the books, the blatts filled their front pages five years before, of Spencer leaving John Bosco RC secondary school on his last day, before reporting to Ibrox.  As already mentioned, it should not be forgotten that ra Sellik made a complete arse of their attempted re-signing. Finally, why can't MoJo return to Scotland? Nothing to do with Rangers supporters.

I look forward(as usual) to the Podcast.