Premier League 2019/20

Why Liverpool lead looks ominous for Man City - Alan Shearer analysis

It is only the start of October, but Liverpool's eight-point lead at the top of the table already looks ominous for Manchester City.

Yes, City's injuries have hurt them - they have been nowhere near as solid as usual defensively, and they lacked a creative spark in Sunday's shock home defeat by Wolves too.

But, regardless of what their rivals are doing, to come out and win their first eight Premier League games of the season has been a fantastic response from the Reds after they went so close to winning the title last term.

There has been no hint of a hangover from that near miss.

Instead, Jurgen Klopp's side have thrown the gauntlet down to City, and now they are definitely the team to beat in the title race.

It is still far too early to write City's challenge off, but there are several reasons why it is going to be very hard for Pep Guardiola's team to catch Liverpool.

'Another off day Man City could not afford'

Nobody saw City's latest defeat coming - but it was no fluke, nor something they can blame on bad luck.

Much like when they lost at Norwich in September, Guardiola's side made lots of errors and looked really poor defensively - Wolves missed three one-on-one chances against keeper Ederson in the first half when the score was 0-0.

Without the injured Aymeric Laporte at the back, City have clearly got a big problem - and it is not going away.

The strength of their attack means the defence is not always tested but, on Sunday, they lacked ideas going forward too.

Wolves deserve a lot of credit for that, because they were set up perfectly to soak up pressure. They left no space behind their backline and forced City to come inside or hit crosses into the box where their three centre-halves were waiting to clear.

I usually associate City with quick and slick passing in and around the opposition's 18-yard box, but there was not a lot of that on display on Sunday.

The absence of Kevin de Bruyne, who has created so much for them this season, cannot have helped.

Without him, City could not find a way through, or around, the Wolves defence - before Adama Traore's breakaway goals won it late on.

'Reds give themselves a cushion at the top'

What made things worse for City this weekend was that Liverpool kept on winning while they dropped more points - Saturday's 2-1 victory over Leicester was the Reds 17th in a row in the league, a run stretching back to 10 March.

By maintaining their level from last season, Liverpool have said "we are still here" to the defending champions, and to everyone else too.

They fell just short last season, which will still be hurting them now. They might not go away this time.

Liverpool only lost one league game in 2018-19, so we know how hard they are to beat.

They have shown that same resolve to win games in the past few weeks when they have not been at their best.

Like City, they have had to deal with losing a key player to injury too.

It was a big blow when Brazil goalkeeper Alisson tore his calf muscle in the opening Premier League game of the season but they have still taken maximum points without him.

The Reds have been here before, of course, and they did not exactly thrive when they were frontrunners last season.

That experience will help them. But the real difference now is that, for the first time, they have a proper cushion at the top.

Last season, the biggest lead they had over City when both sides had played the same number of games was seven points, and even that only lasted for four days at the turn of the year.

From then on, they were under almost constant pressure in one of the tightest title races I can remember - but with the way the table looks now, the Liverpool players won't be feeling the same way.

Of course, they still have to handle being top, but they go into the international break with the biggest lead any Premier League team have had after eight games, and they fully deserve it.

'Longstaff winner is what dreams are made of'

Klopp's next test is a trip to fierce rivals Manchester United on 20 October, which is usually one of Liverpool's toughest away matches of the season.

This time, Liverpool will not have any fears of going to Old Trafford, not just because of how well they are playing, but because of how badly United are struggling. They still look a million miles away from matching the Anfield side in every department.

The defeat at Newcastle on Sunday was another example of that, but it also provided me with my favourite moment of an eventful weekend in the Premier League.

Matty Longstaff made his Newcastle debut alongside his older brother Sean in midfield, was voted man of the match and scored the winning goal at St James' Park.

I was off my feet in the Match of the Day 2 production office when his shot flew in, and it is what dreams are made of. Every kid who grows up in Newcastle wants to do exactly the same.

It was a brilliant moment for both brothers and their family watching in the stands. Matty will remember it for the rest of his life.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49955828

And then there were 6....

When Aston Villa got relegated a couple of seasons ago it meant there were 6 clubs left who have competed in all the Premier League seasons. Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd and Tottenham.

Over the seasons some big clubs have gone like Newcastle, West Ham, Leeds and Villa. Even Man City were in the 3rd tier in 1999. But could there be an even bigger surprise and any of the remaining 6 ever being relegated in the near future. Its something Sam Allardyce commented on yesterday about Man Utd.

Arsenal - Not a chance. They are too well run behind the scenes and can bully mid to lower team levels at home. Their away form was relegation form in the last 15 months but I dont see Arsenal ever crashing in the near future.

Chelsea - If Chelsea were to ever drop it would be down to finances with Roman leaving and the club being like Leeds with way too much debt. On the park they will always have enough quality to not be in danger. Finishing 11th a few years ago is as bad as it will get for Chelsea. If Roman did sell they would have buyers queing up.

Everton - The Toffees dabbled with relegation fears in the late 90s early 00s before Moyes came in. They made an escape finishing 4th bottom one season. At the moment they occupy a relegation spot after 8 games. This international break is typically where the league shows a true reflection of the team. Everton have chopped and changed manager too often as the fans dont know what they want - An all out attacking manage like Martinez or a Not lose manage like Allardyce. For me they had the best in Koeman who just had a poor run and paid for it. Now Marco Silva has all the pressure on him.

Liverpool - Simply not a hope unfortunately! They are bordering going on to be the next dominate force.

Man Utd - Id say they are possibly behind Everton on being so poorly on the pitch despite being higher up. They are spiraling down every year and despite spending so much money their squad is getting weaker and weaker. Its the fact they are the machine that is Man Utd that could be carrying them at the moment but teams are sussing them out big time. For me they have the wrong manager. OGS lifted the side for a few games but he took Cardiff down and only performed in Norway with Molde - that cant be the basis of a long term Man Utd manager - its just what Brighton are doing in taking someone like Potter who earned his trade in Scandinavia. No disrepect to them but that level isnt near the top 4 leagues in Europe. The board at Man Utd have got to be reviewing this. I cant see them going down, it would be bigger than Leicester winning the league but they have no chance of top 4 or 6 at the moment.

Tottenham - Like Chelsea I think if Spurs fell away it would be financially after paying for a Billion pound stadium. Not only that they cant be letting over 100 million worth of players walk away for free. Vertongan, Alderweirald and Eriksen are all out of contract and could pre-sign for a club in January. There manager seems to have lost the dressing room and might be working his ticket out. His comments since April have been bizarre and it could have came from dropping Lucas Moura from the CL final who blasted them into that match. But to publicly say his squad isnt together is wrong. I dont see them ever going down in the near future though, Levy would easily pick up a good manager if Mo Po leaves.

Getting in early as the international games are draining. Its a good weekend of sport and it cant come quick enough.

Im taking Australia to beat England.

NZ to hammer Ireland.

France to beat Wales

South Africa to knock out Japan.

Saturday:

Everton 1-0 West Ham

Aston Villa 2-1 Brighton

Bournemouth 3-1 Norwich

Chelsea 3-0 Newcastle

Leicester 2-0 Burnley

Tottenham 0-1 Watford

Wolves 2-0 Southampton

Crystal Palace 2-1 Man City

Sunday:

Man Utd 2-1 Liverpool

Monday:

Sheff Utd 1-0 Arsenal.

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 03:54, Gribz said:

And then there were 6....

When Aston Villa got relegated a couple of seasons ago it meant there were 6 clubs left who have competed in all the Premier League seasons. Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd and Tottenham.

Over the seasons some big clubs have gone like Newcastle, West Ham, Leeds and Villa. Even Man City were in the 3rd tier in 1999. But could there be an even bigger surprise and any of the remaining 6 ever being relegated in the near future. Its something Sam Allardyce commented on yesterday about Man Utd.

Arsenal - Not a chance. They are too well run behind the scenes and can bully mid to lower team levels at home. Their away form was relegation form in the last 15 months but I dont see Arsenal ever crashing in the near future.

Chelsea - If Chelsea were to ever drop it would be down to finances with Roman leaving and the club being like Leeds with way too much debt. On the park they will always have enough quality to not be in danger. Finishing 11th a few years ago is as bad as it will get for Chelsea. If Roman did sell they would have buyers queing up.

Everton - The Toffees dabbled with relegation fears in the late 90s early 00s before Moyes came in. They made an escape finishing 4th bottom one season. At the moment they occupy a relegation spot after 8 games. This international break is typically where the league shows a true reflection of the team. Everton have chopped and changed manager too often as the fans dont know what they want - An all out attacking manage like Martinez or a Not lose manage like Allardyce. For me they had the best in Koeman who just had a poor run and paid for it. Now Marco Silva has all the pressure on him.

Liverpool - Simply not a hope unfortunately! They are bordering going on to be the next dominate force.

Man Utd - Id say they are possibly behind Everton on being so poorly on the pitch despite being higher up. They are spiraling down every year and despite spending so much money their squad is getting weaker and weaker. Its the fact they are the machine that is Man Utd that could be carrying them at the moment but teams are sussing them out big time. For me they have the wrong manager. OGS lifted the side for a few games but he took Cardiff down and only performed in Norway with Molde - that cant be the basis of a long term Man Utd manager - its just what Brighton are doing in taking someone like Potter who earned his trade in Scandinavia. No disrepect to them but that level isnt near the top 4 leagues in Europe. The board at Man Utd have got to be reviewing this. I cant see them going down, it would be bigger than Leicester winning the league but they have no chance of top 4 or 6 at the moment.

Tottenham - Like Chelsea I think if Spurs fell away it would be financially after paying for a Billion pound stadium. Not only that they cant be letting over 100 million worth of players walk away for free. Vertongan, Alderweirald and Eriksen are all out of contract and could pre-sign for a club in January. There manager seems to have lost the dressing room and might be working his ticket out. His comments since April have been bizarre and it could have came from dropping Lucas Moura from the CL final who blasted them into that match. But to publicly say his squad isnt together is wrong. I dont see them ever going down in the near future though, Levy would easily pick up a good manager if Mo Po leaves.

I can't see the Leeds situation ever happening at Chelsea or any of the larger top 6 PM clubs as there would always be someone or an org that would buy. Leeds went from Peter Risdale to Ken Bates neither of whom had much free capital and had to sell assets inc star players and training ground.

An example was when the media were saying Abramovitch might be willing to sell (media speculation only again) Sir Jim Ratcliffe was reported to be interested in buying and he is richer than Abramovitch.

England win against Australia

NZ to win against Ireland

Wales to win against France

South Africa win against Japan

Saturday:

Everton 1-0 West Ham

Aston Villa 2-0 Brighton

Bournemouth 3-2 Norwich

Chelsea 3-0 Newcastle

Leicester 3-1 Burnley

Tottenham 1-0 Watford

Wolves 1-1 Southampton

Crystal Palace 1-3 Man City

Sunday:

Man Utd 1-1 Liverpool

Monday:

Sheff Utd 1-1 Arsenal.

4 hours ago, compo said:

The hammers haven't had a win away from home on league business in 10 months. 

Everton is an absolute nightmare for us. I think we've won once there in about 25 years - quite recent though.

The rugby quarter finalists will be England, All Blacks, Wales and the Springboks, though Australia or Ireland or France or Japan could cause an upset.

Now for the real stuff. I’m doing this week in code so no one will know that I’m wrong.

Toffees 2-1 ‘Ammers

Villans 3-1 Seagulls

Cherries 2-1 Canaries

Pensioners 3-1 Magpies

Foxes 2-0 Clarets

Lilywhites 2-0 Hornets

Wolves 2-0 Saints

Glaziers 1-3 Citizens

Rags 1-2 Scallies

Blades 1-1 Gunners

Maybe this week 

Aston villa 2 Brighton 0