[FT] Rangers 4 - 0 Marseille (Candeias 17, 43; Goldson 63; Defoe 75)

10 hours ago, Gaffer said:

Tom was great at commentating as usual, but I thought Ian Durrant was excellent.  His insight was really interesting and I hope he does more of it for RTV.

He does have a lot of insight but there's way way too much of the bleedin' obvious.  We don't need wall to wall noise.  

39 minutes ago, Briton said:

He does have a lot of insight but there's way way too much of the bleedin' obvious.  We don't need wall to wall noise.  

I think that unfair on Durrant.

"...the bleedin' obvious..." is a big part of football and no pundit that I have ever known restricts themselves to genuine insight.

You can also say that the "...the bleedin' obvious..."  is somewhat relative and those watching and listening will be at different stages in their fitbaw education.

I agree with Gaffer regards Durrant offering more insight than the average RTV pundit.

Edited by buster.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

"...the bleedin' obvious..." is a big part of football and no pundit that I have ever known restricts themselves to genuine insight.

You can also say that the "...the bleedin' obvious..."  is somewhat relative and those watching and listening will be at different stages in their fitbaw education.

I agree with Gaffer regards Durrant offering more insight than the average RTV pundit.

I said I think he has a lot of insight and I'm not being unfair to Durrant.  It's more that this seems to be the way of it now; constant noise regardless of what's being said is clichéd mundanity  or not.  It seems to be expected now.  I guess it's a matter of taste; I prefer the older style commentary and I really like the SPL highlights video where you just have the crowd noise and nothing else.  Would love the option to watch games like that.

2 hours ago, Briton said:

I sometimes wonder what the objective of commentators actually is. The incessant chatter accompanying sport in the U.K. isn’t repeated in all other countries. In Sweden commentators tend to speak only when something happens to justify it but there’s none of this parroting of player names every time the ball is passed.

30 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

The worst thing about listening to Durrant is the amount of times he uses the word ''now'', he says it every 3rd word or so!?, however he does have good knowledge & input.

I noticed this, so much so I heard less of what he was saying and was subconsiciouly counting the word nice instead 

6 hours ago, buster. said:

In particular the thousands of Celtic fans who watch RTV on their illegal streams just so they can comment on us.  I have a feeling they're going to get a proper lesson this season.