Gersnet Podcast - Live every Sunday at 9.30pm

2 hours ago, Big Jaws said:

I'm just as happy as any other Rangers supporter when the team turns in a good performance or wins handsomely. However pre-season is really about the team getting up to speed with their match fitness, testing and gelling together new players and how they fit into the managers systems and patterns of play. If they play some nice stuff and score a few goals along the way then great.

We did highlight that we liked what we were seeing, singled out certain players for mention with regards to their quality, but that its too early to read anything into it just yet. From my perspective experience has taught me that its absolutely pointless getting carried away with pre-season friendly results. An example of what I'm talking about is the Ibrox International Challenge Trophy 95/96' where we beat Steaua Bucarest 4-0 with goals from Ferguson, Gascoigne, Hateley and McCoist. We beat Sampdoria 2-0 in the final of that little pre-season tourney by the way. Literally a month later we were paired with the same team we smashed in the pre-season only this time in the competitive CL where they beat us 1-0 away Prodan scoring the only goal and drew 1-1 with us in the return leg at Ibrox. So much for our scintillating 4-0 performance in pre-season friendly eh? 

So beating Marseille 4-0 at home in a friendly is good to see as a barometer of how we might play during the season but it doesn't amount to a hill O' beans if we turn up at Kilmarnock and draw or lose on the first game of the new season.

When we've navigated through the EL qualifiers into the group stages and have put Kilmarnock to bed in the first game in a similar fashion to how we've played in these games then you'll be scraping me aff the ceiling if I'm on any of the pods at that time. 

I think the Steaua Bucharest one was what I mentioned last night. I honestly remember thinking we would win every game we played that season and look what happened. I am really happy with the performances so far but won’t get carried away like last time.

If they continue playing and winning impressively right up to and including Killie it will be ever more difficult not to become excited. And that excitement  will climb to yet another level if the winning run were to continue right up to and including the first yahoos game.

16 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I pray before bed every night for @pete to work out how to use the thread prefixes for pods and articles, and for @BEARGER how to embed a tweet.  :(

What the hell is thread and Pod prefixes?:D

8 minutes ago, pete said:

What the hell is thread and Pod prefixes?:D

For article, match and podcast threads, users (or mods at least) have the option to add a nice graphical prefix which you can select immediately below the thread title entry box.

?