Gersnet Podcast - Live every Sunday at 9.30pm

3 minutes ago, Frankie said:

For article, match and podcast threads, users (or mods at least) have the option to add a nice graphical prefix which you can select immediately below the thread title entry box.

?

Ah! You can sleep easy tonight.:D

Now to help Beager as I had the same with tweets not embedding. You have to go back to the very original tweet for it to embed. You press the tweet address(on say follow follow) to open the original tweeters page. Then look up the tweet in question and open it. Copy the address in the address bar and paste it into the post space on here and it should embed itself. If there is an easier way or I am wrong then someone will correct me.

Is this the real meaning of the blind leading the blind?:D

2 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Just right click on the timestamp of a tweet and paste the link after copying it. It couldn't be easier. 

If on a mobile device, click the timestamp to open the tweet then copy and paste the link from the drop down menu. 

Does that also work from another website because from FF I kept getting that I couldn't embed because there was no tweet behind the copy of the tweet?

1 hour ago, pete said:

Does that also work from another website because from FF I kept getting that I couldn't embed because there was no tweet behind the copy of the tweet?

Sorry but don't know what you mean.  FF has different software from us so what might embed here, might not there.  You'd have to ask their admin to advise.

I really don't know how people struggle with this.  Every tweet has its own address, just open the tweet and C&P that address into your reply. 

For example, my current pinned tweet's address is this: https://twitter.com/GersnetOnline/status/1150752852635201536

If I paste that link into my reply, the tweet auto embeds after a few seconds. Or, as I did above, I can the click 'display as link instead' if I just want to text itself to show and not the graphical version of the tweet.  Unsure, people are welcome to test this in the thread below:

5 hours ago, Frankie said:

Sorry but don't know what you mean.  FF has different software from us so what might embed here, might not there.  You'd have to ask their admin to advise.

I really don't know how people struggle with this.  Every tweet has its own address, just open the tweet and C&P that address into your reply. 

For example, my current pinned tweet's address is this: https://twitter.com/GersnetOnline/status/1150752852635201536

If I paste that link into my reply, the tweet auto embeds after a few seconds. Or, as I did above, I can the click 'display as link instead' if I just want to text itself to show and not the graphical version of the tweet.  Unsure, people are welcome to test this in the thread below:

Yes Our software is far better. They still have to go through imgur or other such sites to post photo's although I think that may be an admin choice to save forum space.

On 16/07/2019 at 17:09, pete said:

Yes Our software is far better. They still have to go through imgur or other such sites to post photo's although I think that may be an admin choice to save forum space.

The reason I assume they do that over there @pete is to avoid hotlinking.

Follow the link if you want an in depth easy to follow explanation to what that is or here's a quick summary.

When you lift a URL for an image/page on someone's site then you send all traffic to their site to grab the image/text for display. That obviously increases the traffic on their server/server provider and if its a small blog or self hosted site then it can end up costing the owner a good few bob to increase their bandwidth. They could also remove the link target at any time leaving a dead link or image you cant see.

You can also turn off the ability to hotlink on your own servers but since I'm not an admin on here I don't know if Gersnet has that facility with their service provider? @Frankie 

We can add hotlink protection via htaccess if we wanted but I don't mind images being shared from our main site for example.

People on here can attach images to posts and it doesn't happen often so again I'm happy to permit it.  As for hotlinking/embedding content from other sites, that's up to other sites to take action on.  :)