Gerrard wants "23/24" players competing. Who drops out?

So if he gets a place in the 24 man squad that Gerrard is talking about, that means yet another from my earlier list will be moved on.  We are now at the stage where we are moving out good players for better ones, whereas in previous seasons we were trying (and failing) to move out the dross for something a bit less dross.  There's going to be huge disappointment for a few of our players.  I know Dorrans was gutted when he was told, but he won't be the last in this window.

Firth doesn’t really count as part of the first team squad, he’s a reserve keeper so wouldn’t be included in the 22-23. Only two keepers would be imo. 

In the defence we have 4 CBs to two positions and 5 fullbacks to 2 positions. I would lose Halliday from those 9 but I doubt any will leave. 

In centre mid we have 5 players to 3 positions, up to 7 if you include Halliday and Polster. A pretty normal number I would say. 

In the attacking midfield positions we have 7 players to 2 positions. A bit of a problem and why I’m so confused at the clamour for Kent to sign, Candeias can leave imo. 

Up front we have 2 players to 1 position with Stewart and Arfield probably offering cover. Fine by me although many want a 3rd. 

All in all not a whole lot wrong with the size of the squad but we’ve already excluded a bunch of fringe players there. 

Edited by DMAA

19 hours ago, Gaffer said:

When you see the current dilemma, I can't imagine McPake will get a chance this season.

As Bearger points out, McPake is in the squad for tomorrow.

Gerrard said he pulled McPake from the development game on Tuesday because he's in his plans for todays game.

There won't be a better competitive game to give him 30 minutes.

Would be great if he could make a real impression.

#GoodEnough=OldEnough 

4 minutes ago, buster. said:

As Bearger points out, McPake is in the squad for tomorrow.

Gerrard said he pulled McPake from the development game on Tuesday because he's in his plans for todays game.

There won't be a better competitive game to give him 30 minutes.

Would be great if he could make a real impression.

#GoodEnough=OldEnough 

Couldn’t agree more. I’d love to see McPake get at least 45 minutes, this is exactly the type of game he can flourish in.