Rangers chiefs lose latest round of court battle with Sports Direct and Mike Ashley over merchandise

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Directors have what's called a fiduciary duty to act in the interests of the company they act for. However, defining what is in the interests of the company at the time of acting can be difficult to achieve and can often be more subjective than objective. It's easier to identify a breach of duty if the director wilfully breaks the law of makes some clear cut move that is obviously and deliberately intended to disadvantage his company, usually for personal gain. Whether Llambias or Somers stepped over the line is a question I couldn't answer.

Cheers mate. Obviously there is enough doubt in Rangers Lawyers mind not to take action but as a non-business person looking in it seems to me strange that it is possible to make such a contract that is obviously so one sided in favour of SD. I suppose they could argue 7pence in the pound was a good deal.

44 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think it would be sensible to stop thinking about Mike Ashley like some kind of hate figure. Many successful businessmen and women are like him, hard-nosed bastards who regard their business activities as some kind of combat zone.

He wouldn't be in the least bit phased by anything said about him on here or anywhere else. Nor will he ever change the way he operates as a result of anyone thinking he's a bastard. I'm sure in his eyes his business successes vindicate everything he does and justify every enemy he's made in the process. There comes a point where repeatedly reading how Mike Ashley is a shit just looks like fleas shouting at an elephant. He can't hear you, he wouldn't care if he did, we don't benefit, it's just pointless venting.

Rangers has entered into a contract that favours Sports Direct or at least fails to favour Rangers - exactly the aim of all of Ashley's business deals. The people running Rangers were too corrupt or too stupid to safeguard their own interests properly and now they or their successors will have to find a way out. But is it reasonable to expect Ashley to help them or to condemn him for not doing so? I'm in no way defending Mike Ashley but .... I don't think so.

Newcastle United supporters forum have their very own Ashley thread, which pretty much sums him up for me.

739766896_ScreenShot2019-07-26at23_13_17.png.3f69752ca2bf06ab53cdc57ffb187f1c.png

9 hours ago, Bill said:

makes some clear cut move that is obviously and deliberately intended to disadvantage his company, usually for personal gain. Whether Llambias or Somers stepped over the line is a question I couldn't answer.

93p in ever £1 Bill, going to SD, that is a deliberate financial disadvantage and only for the benefit of SD, not Rangers.

Edited by cooponthewing

3 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

93p in ever £1 Bill, going to SD, that is a deliberate financial disadvantage and only for the benefit of SD, not Rangers.

That's why I said in an earlier post that it was a breach of the board members' fiduciary duties to accept that, and there would be zero defence for it.  However these criminal cases take a long time and I can understand the current board's desire to move on.

29 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

It might be but in the way of these things only a judgement in court will decide for sure. The fact no action has been taken to date suggests it would be unlikely to succeed. 

15 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

To be honest, I'm not very clued up on medical problems but whatever causes a slow and extremely painful death would suit me.  

You could say that Rangers FC under Mike Ashley is a microcosm of society with the dictator doing pretty much as he pleases and the vast majority having no say in the running of it, despite making all the profits which are then not invested for the well-being of the proletariat/supporters.

Oh well, he might be a bastard but at least he's our bastard.

11 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

You could say that Rangers FC under Mike Ashley is a microcosm of society with the dictator doing pretty much as he pleases and the vast majority having no say in the running of it, despite making all the profits which are then not invested for the well-being of the proletariat/supporters.

Do you still get a proletariat? Outside of marxist nostalgia comics I mean.