On This Day In 1994

My ailing memory says that his debut was against Arsenal and that was the same day Jorg Albertz played his first game for Rangers.

But I could equally just be talking bollocks.

5 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

The best player I have ever seen play for us, he simply IS the Messiah, and will be for the rest of my Rangers supporting life I am quite sure.

When he arrived I had never seen a player at Ibrox that could do the things he could do.  What made it more entertaining was that neither had our challengers.  It was about 7 or 8 games before teams had any idea what to do about him.  Easily the best player to ever wear the jersey and we are so lucky to have been around for that era.  I'd dearly love my kids to have the same experience of going to watch Rangers with a star player like him on show.

6 hours ago, Bill said:

My ailing memory says that his debut was against Arsenal and that was the same day Jorg Albertz played his first game for Rangers.

But I could equally just be talking bollocks.

I checked. It WAS bollocks.

6 hours ago, Bill said:

I checked. It WAS bollocks.

You beat me to it, It was your usual bollocks ;-) :thup:

Albertz signed in 96. 

Laudrup though....I still remember the first game of the season v Motherwell and his solo to set up Big Duncan Ferguson for the winner. 

Best ever Ger for me. 

Despite my Laudrup confusion, I'm reasonably sure Albertz did make his debut against Arsenal at Ibrox in (I think) a 3-0 win. I also seem to remember we had another big name making his debut in that same game (who was outshone by big Jorg) but can't for the life of me remember who that was. Does anyone remember?

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Despite my Laudrup confusion, I'm reasonably sure Albertz did make his debut against Arsenal at Ibrox in (I think) a 3-0 win. I also seem to remember we had another big name making his debut in that same game (who was outshone by big Jorg) but can't for the life of me remember who that was. Does anyone remember?

I was there and if I remember correctly both new signings scored.  Is that right?  And am I right in saying that the other player will be forever remembered for his horrendous miss later that season?  My memory is fading but hopefully that's correct.