[FT] Rangers 1 - 1 Blackburn (Defoe 30)

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

We've not scored yet! 

Gerrard out!

Too late to stop the rot.

The time to sack him was at half time in Gibraltar.

Suppose we'll just need to put up with drawing friendly matches until Dave King grows a backbone.

I thought we played some nice stuff today, particularly some of the short passing interplay in midfield.  However, we also had a tendency to overplay at times and Jones and Ojo kept running into opposition players, which was a bit frustrating. 

Nothing to get too excited or upset about, in my opinion. 

We outplayed Rovers for over an hour, worked their Keeper on several occasions. We scored a decent goal, wonderful cross from Jones, reminds me of Neil McCann's ability to drop one on the centre's head. The difference between the first hour and the last twenty-five minutes, Steve Davis was off the pitch. 

Everybody ran about, got pitch time into their legs, no one injured, everything's good.

2 hours ago, BEARGER said:

I find this hugely encouraging and I don't mean Defoe scoring. He's always been a goal machine and still is so that's just par for the course. I'm talking about the perfect cross from Jones and how it was executed. I read a report from some rag or other that Jones was 'given the time' to get in a cross.

Given the time? One quick touch to line it up then the cross and it's in the net. He wasn't 'given time' it was simply executed too fast for the opposing defenders to get in his way. The more I see of him the more I think he's going to do a good job.

An opinion on Jones from Steven Smith.

Former Rangers defender Steven Smith today took a bit of a veiled barb at Scotland boss and former Kilmarnock manager by indirectly attacking his management of Jordan Jones and football style in general.

The former Gers left back, who of course plied his trade at Rugby Park as well for a spell, was surprised to note Jordan Jones' performances as a Rangers player, suggesting his ‘game intelligence’ had increased significantly since his move to Govan.

Of course, the implication here is that with the ‘one dimensional’ play he was constricted to under Clarke, Jones was unable to develop as a player at all, limited to bland, train-track style flank play and no depth or diversity.

But at Ibrox under Stevie he’s been given a whole new lease of life, and we see him cutting in, assisting, powering up the left and linking.

And if Smith’s comments are anything to go by, Steve Clarke just didn’t let him play that way – meaning the NI international has arguably wasted two years of his development by being restricted in what he could do.

In a defence of Clarke, it worked for the team and elevated the Killie side well above standard expectations – but at what cost for the individual?

Well, Jones is free of that nonsense now and is blooming before our eyes as yet another lucrative and canny Bosman.

With increased ‘game intelligence’.

https://www.ibroxnoise.co.uk/2019/07/former-rangers-defender-may-just-have.html

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I thought we played some nice stuff today, particularly some of the short passing interplay in midfield.  However, we also had a tendency to overplay at times and Jones and Ojo kept running into opposition players, which was a bit frustrating. 

Nothing to get too excited or upset about, in my opinion. 

I thought Jones did ok but agree re Ojo who I thought was a bit of a disappointment.  Tav's performance  was a little below his level of last season and Kamara looked a bit complacent and was too slow in moving the ball on.

It was a push game for me. Some good..some sloppy. I think the team got used to Rover's tempo and then they (Rovers) just downshifted and hit the gas on Rangers. Kinda caught Gers off guard...whamo...goal.

Meh...live and learn.