Modern Fitba: Which Playmakers Actually Make Their Teammates Better?

1 hour ago, pete said:

These statistics mean nothing as it is a pinprick in a football game. If you take Kamara. He does 90% brilliant things but then makes the mistake that gets you gubbed. His stats look great but he lost a number of points and that is what the game is about.

Ditto Tavernier.

8 hours ago, DMAA said:

Nobody relies purely on stats but they are a very powerful tool to be used to analyse performance. 

It's as simple as that.

No sensible person would ever use a selection of stats to define a player's overall quality, just as you wouldn't use one YouTube video to scout a player.

However, as we've seen across sport, alongside more orthodox training, statistical analysis is increasingly important.  Indeed more and more clubs at all levels use science (e.g. applied maths such as this example or indeed food/diet/sports science) to determine various factors from where best a player might feature in your team/tactics to fitness and well-being.  Key mistakes is also a stat so if someone like Kamara is costing goals for whatever reason then stats can be used to find out if he struggles in certain situations or in certain areas of the pitch: this can then be used to alter the way he plays to minimise such problems.

To say they mean nothing is just silly.  I'd love to see Steven Gerrard's face if you said that to him.... :D

Just now, the gunslinger said:

Stats prove one thing. When people say candeias didn't create enough they were wrong. 

I prefer to see it both ways.  Just because his stats are good, doesn't mean the opposite is wrong.

Now and again his final ball and overall contribution were poor: in other words, he could have created and scored more.  However, he was still a very useful player defensively and in attack.

We all watch games and have our generic opinions on players: I very much doubt stats will change some folk's mind or let us know that Candeias' crossing was hit and miss.  We can see that for ourselves.  However, stats do let us know that despite his faults, his contribution was still more than useful.

Any one could create and score more of course. 

But to be doing better defensively and attacking than your team mates and be dropped is well wrong. 

Listen your the best but I want more. If not I'm replacing you with the 3rd best. 

Sounds like my work. 

26 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

Stats prove one thing. When people say candeias didn't create enough they were wrong. 

I sympathise with your point of view because the criticism of Candeias was way over the top through the season, especially when all his goal-creating stats were above Kent across the board who wasn't criticised.

However in my opinion we lost the league in games where we were found out for lacking creativity/end product when it really mattered.

Losses to Livingston, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock and draws to Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Dundee, Hibs (twice) and St Johnstone. Those games were worth 21 points. We scored 7 goals in those 9 games. Those games don't include the final game of the season loss to Kilmarnock, the 3-3 draw to Motherwell and both losses to Celtic. You could add a few cup games to it though.

Just my opinion but I felt we were pretty much fine in defence and midfield last season but the players tasked with creating goals just weren't good enough to turn more of those draws into wins and even losses into draws/wins. Celtic had the same very tough games against packed defences but found a winner time and time again. My takeaway was that we needed to find players better than both Kent and Candeias for our starting 11 this season and that we needed adequate cover for when Arfield is unavailable who is one of our most important players.

20 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

I thought the lack of goals from midfield was the big issue. 

Yes fair point. A close second for me but closely linked really to a slight lack of creativity and quality.

This is actually one of the reasons I wanted Middleton involved more throughout last season. He might look raw at times during the game but unlike many senior players ahead of him he is a huge goal threat from inside and outside the box even if he performs poorly through the game. I still think it's a mistake to have him so far away from the matchday squad for that reason.