Sod all to do with jealousy though I greatly envy her ability with a foreign language.

Tell me one thing you learned from these children you didn’t know already. Mrs Thatcher, the only scientist to make it to Downing Street, understood climate change so that’s good enough for me.

Galling, I suppose, for hoary old lefties to comprehend that Mrs T  got it long before “young people” did.

27 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

It must be galling for all the Stadtlers and Waldorfs on here to see a child achieving much more than our generation in terms of making a worldwide impact. Jealousy is such a mean-spirited emotion. I would have been proud if it was my grand-daughter .

If she was my granddaughter I would advise her to get back to school and stop being a mouthpiece for others who are using her  .

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

It must be galling for all the Stadtlers and Waldorfs on here to see a child achieving much more than our generation in terms of making a worldwide impact. Jealousy is such a mean-spirited emotion. I would have been proud if it was my grand-daughter .

Impact? What impact is that? Headlines and publicity? A focus for weak leadership and cloying sycophants? She hasn't spawned a single new idea since she burst on to the scene. She's clearly infatuated with her own self-righteousness but I'll take a safe punt here and say she'll make no difference whatsoever.

What she is most likely to achieve is to deflect from important scientific work by dangling the carrot of votes before desperate politicians. But you just go on convincing yourself that she's "making a worldwide impact". ?

Just because you personally don't like the message, it doesn't mean its not valid or doesn't reflect a change in attitudes.

Each generation brings new ideas and attitudes.  Some stick, others don't.

I fancy she and others like her will be far more relevant than folks like us frothing on a message board about how awful kids are these days.

4 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Just because you personally don't like the message, it doesn't mean its not valid or doesn't reflect a change in attitudes.

I fancy she and others like her will be far more relevant than folks like us frothing on a message board about how awful kids are these days.

Looks like you're the only one doing any frothing. Relax, she's a five minute irrelevance. There are more important issues around climate change than the latest media hype.

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

It must be galling for all the Stadtlers and Waldorfs on here to see a child achieving much more than our generation in terms of making a worldwide impact. Jealousy is such a mean-spirited emotion.

Confident enough to know the soul of others yet unable to name them?!

4 hours ago, stewarty said:

https://order-order.com/2019/09/20/ready-climate-strike-take-quiz/

6 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

What has she actually achieved?

I'm mystified. The Great Greta has arrived at the United Nations and still hasn't said a word about curbing emissions in China and India; not a peep about the huge increase in fossil fuel use being projected in the third world. She still seems to be focussing on the tint, meaningless reductions to be had in the western democracies. You might almost begin to think the child star is more interested in promoting leftist ideology than "saving the planet". Where, for example, is Greta's call for her legions of adolescent warriors to abandon their mobile phones, iPads, palm-oil-saturated make up, fashion statements and planet-ravaging salted caramel lattés?

If all the earnest little souls think UK net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 is going to save us then I wish them luck, A vast global pandemic of some lethal virus or a couple of large nuclear wars might reduce the demands placed upon the planet but little else is going to. Certainly not Greta Thunberg or her pious blabberings. No one out there in the great polluting outer-world has heard of Greta Thunberg and certainly isn't going to deprived their thousands of new power stations of the coal they will consume.

Edited by Bill