Neil Cameron on the Rangers support

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

I know that whataboutery doesn`t help often, but I would like to read a similar article by Mr. Cameron on the Yahoos.  And not with regards with child abuse, even though he may add another article on that topic too. Just to see whether he has some balance.

Hear hear

39 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

So this chunt attends the Everyone Anyone launch and goes to write a piece about this for his failing rhag of a paper, and manages to includes lies about Johnston being the first high-profile RC, including supposed quotes from a RSA official that I do recall from the time or have ever heard of since, confirms we are still a Protestant institution, slags our fans songbook, ridicules our collective politics as being worse than the Nazis, In over 30 years of going to just about every game Rangers play I have never seen a Nazi or any Nazi flags, banners etc, but somehow he says he sees them around all the time. 

I could go on but I have lost the will to do so with this utter tripe.

Suffice to say that we spend a fortune to launch this campaign, invite the journos along, and then the write another negative piece about Rangers fans whcih barely mentions the campaign and tells you nothing about it.

Why do we let people like this to have free access to our club?

Who was the first high profile catholic to sign?  I honestly thought it was MoJo.  I do however remember people expressing the anti catholic view at the time, and threatening to rip up their season tickets.  It was especially visible that first day at Ibrox.

I haven't seen the wider article that mentions our worse than Nazi politics?  Where is it published?

I thought it read largely positive but I've only read what was published here, and not the other points you've mentioned.

1 minute ago, Gaffer said:

Who was the first high profile catholic to sign?  

I can only remember John Spencer who went on to play for Chelsea? I’m sure there were some before that though? It all depends on your definition of “high profile” I guess?

In case anyone thinks it, let me assure you Neil Cameron is no fool. He hates Rangers but he's no fool. He's survived too long while colleagues have dropped like flies to ever be underestimated.

This particular article is quite clever. On the surface of it he's flattering us by saying that Rangers fans have changed and are less bigoted and more inclusive. However, what he's really doing is saying to Rangers fans "if you want people to stop thinking of you as Neanderthals then you need to be less loyalist/unionist and more pro-independence". His aim here is clearly to give confidence to the few Rangers fans who have or are tempted to stray from our core loyalist/unionist/conservative tradition, thereby quietly attacking what he hates most about us. There's always more than one way to skin a cat and Cameron will no doubt pull the wool over the eyes of a few gullible bears with this nonsense.

Edited by Bill

1 hour ago, cooponthewing said:

I can only remember John Spencer who went on to play for Chelsea? I’m sure there were some before that though? It all depends on your definition of “high profile” I guess?

Cheers.  I never really thought of him as high profile which is probably why I did always think it was MoJo.  As I said in another thread, the main point for me about this signing was because of his association with Celtic and the fact we got one over on them by signing him.  It was a real GIRUY moment, but I do remember a few bears not being so happy.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

In case anyone thinks it, let me assure you Neil Cameron is no fool. He hates Rangers but he's no fool. He's survived too long while colleagues have dropped like flies to ever be underestimated.

This particular article is quite clever. On the surface of it he's flattering us by saying that Rangers fans have changed and are less bigoted and more inclusive. However, what he's really doing is saying to Rangers fans "if you want people to stop thinking of you as Neanderthals then you need to be less loyalist/unionist and more pro-independence". His aim here is clearly to give confidence to the few Rangers fans who have or are tempted to stray from our core loyalist/unionist/conservative tradition, thereby quietly attacking what he hates most about us. There's always more than one way to skin a cat and Cameron will no doubt pull the wool over the eyes of a few gullible bears with this nonsense.

I'll be shocked and stunned if Neil Cameron has any influence on anyone.  I thought it was an entertaining piece, but not something I expect anyone will dwell on.  It was a fairly basic piece of writing with nothing new or any great insights.  I couldn't even tell you what rag he writes for either.  Someone opined earlier that's he's an irrelevance and that pretty much sums him up.  This will be an old story by the time Aribo scores our first goal tonight.

20 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

The problem isn't individual stories, Gaffer.  It's the continual, one-sided assault on all things Rangers.

And we've seen it ramp up over the past few weeks to keep another distasteful story from the other side of the city out of the news.

I suppose to some (very odd, in my opinion) people, a bit of cultural intolerance is more newsworthy than the systematic abuse of children.  

Neil Cameron is one such person.