28 minutes ago, compo said:

Weather permitting we will get a test match tomorrow and it's about time David Warner asserted himself on this series.  

Sadly you might be right. Warner is too good a player to continue to fail.  There are a couple in the England line up that are due a score as well though.

I’m hoping England can bat first on a clear sunny day and put 450 on the board. Without Smith that should ensure victory.

Far too much is being made of Archer's pace at Lords. The idea that the Australians haven't seen a fast bowler before is beyond rational optimism and on the hard wickets back home they will be well-used to short-pitched bowling. England's great strength lies in generating sideways movement, which will be much more effective at 85mph rather than 95mph.

The loss of Smith is huge but hardly the terminal disadvantage it's being made out to be. England probably start as slight favourites but this could go either way.

England 4/6

Aussies 11/5

Draw 6/1

Youre right @Bill England are favourites but a little more than slight which I think is over egging it a bit. Lose the toss (again) and it’s a much harder game. Weather conditions are very changeable there, fall on the wrong side of that and the ball is moving everywhere when you’re batting and not at all when bowling, so the odds and over confidence is a little misplaced before the toss, unless of course England have recalled Cook to open and Pietersen to bat at 4!

I'm surprised Jofra Archer hasn't been brought on to fix the weather. 

My son is on the road south heading for Leeds and a couple of days at the test match. I'll bet he's glad now he didn't take the opening day tickets.