Club1872 update on BBC

55 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

This might not be relevant to this link but I wonder what would happen if nippy gets the independence she craves will the BBC cease to transmit to an independent Scotland?

bbc will continue to broadcast to the world including wee Scotland but the denizens of PQ probably en masse will become part of Scottish State Media. Clyde and maybe some other commercials will be assumed into the new broadcasting agency, the remainder will be closed down. All broadcast facilities will be centralised in Glasgow which city will eventually become the seat of government though most politicians will continue to live in Edinburgh.

A sport will be selected to enhance Scotland’s international profile. That sport will be football. (Sorry, Idessane. Just when you’d worked out the difference between the batsman and the bowler) A club will be selected to receive every possible resource to enable it to compete with high profile sides like TNS, Cork City or even FC Pûke. 

I wonder which will be that club?

1 hour ago, Rick Roberts said:

Reputationally there must be an affect. As an example, discussing our chants across multiple medias as headline news, day after day. Using very pointed and particular language. Whilst ignoring the same from Celtic. And worse with their ongoing CSA scandal, which I dont know if they've even mentioned yet?

One item that stands out to me was the no to newco stuff. Where mclaughlin and co would interview a different support every day over 2 weeks and announce that some no-mark fan group or other had voted against us remaining in the SPL. This stuff built the narrative and enabled the governing body to take certain actions (which no other FA would pursue or allow). Similar tactics to the trial by sportscene. 

Bigger picture, this stuff may being driving from elsewhere. It doesn't look like the key players are bothered about any damage to the BBC either, through their actions. Which may be part of the plan. 

That's a fair point but it only has an impact on those who consume the BBC propaganda.  I think I'm right in saying that the only time I am exposed to the BBC is on this forum.  I do spend a lot of time away from the UK, but I don't think I'm alone in having little to do with them.  My kids and their friends (who are all UK based) never see anything that comes out of the BBC (except perhaps The Line of Duty), so I wonder if there is a stage when it really is an irrelevance.  I can confirm that my life without the BBC is certainly a much more content one.  More of you should try it. ?

36 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

That's a fair point but it only has an impact on those who consume the BBC propaganda.  I think I'm right in saying that the only time I am exposed to the BBC is on this forum.  I do spend a lot of time away from the UK, but I don't think I'm alone in having little to do with them.  My kids and their friends (who are all UK based) never see anything that comes out of the BBC (except perhaps The Line of Duty), so I wonder if there is a stage when it really is an irrelevance.  I can confirm that my life without the BBC is certainly a much more content one.  More of you should try it. ?

I'd love to agree. But the unfortunate thing here is the reach. Some figures from last year suggest that Reporting Scotland can reach up to 500,000 listeners (10% of the country) thru its various broadcasts across the day.

Its the biggest vehicle in the country by some distance.

Most might be non-football fans or old Grannies, but the message is still getting out there. And if that results in even one occurrence of someone not buying a football top or not letting their kid go to Ibrox then its unacceptable. 

Yes, ignoring the BBC is not a strategy that will be in anyway effective. Put simply they have the 3rd most popular website in the UK (after Google and Amazon), the most watched TV station and top 2 most listened to radio stations. On a Scotland only basis Radio Scotland has the most listeners of any station broadcasting from north of the border. I understand very well the changes in media in recent times however the BBC remains the single most influential broadcaster in the UK and in Scotland. That may change in the coming years but I wouldn't put my mortgage on it. 

Edited by JohnMc

4 hours ago, Bill said:

I wonder when, if ever, Rangers and its support will move from describing the landscape to finding a way across it?

Correct me if I'm missing something but, as far as I can see, things are no better and probably even worse than they were two years ago. The BBC looks fully committed to its current relationship with Rangers. Discussion of the issue remains hidden within the confines of the Rangers community and essentially invisible to the rest of society.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't advocate Rangers should back down in any way at all but for all the torrent of words devoted to documenting the BBC's obvious bias, not a single thing has or is likely to change as a result. If we want  the BBC to adopt a different attitude then perhaps we first need to do so too.

I think Bill, that says more about the failings at the rancid BBC tha anythig else. Im hoping the whole organisatio is o borrowed time.

BEEB ROW

BBC Scotland hit back at Club 1872 after Rangers fan group’s ‘baseless’ attack

BBC SCOTLAND have hit back at Club 1872 after the Rangers fan group’s ‘baseless’ new attack on the corporation.

Gers’ second biggest shareholder accused the Beeb of using a sectarian contributor who aimed ‘hate speech’ towards Light Blues supporters.

In a lengthy statement, they said the Scottish Premiership giants continue to be treated unfairly by the broadcaster.

The dispute between both parties relates to senior journalist Chris McLaughlin’s 2016 Ibrox ban and Beeb haven’t covered games in Govan since the row kicked off.

A BBC Scotland spokesperson said: “Suggestions of bias and malicious reporting of Rangers are baseless.

“We are accused of not covering the Everyone Anyone campaign – Rangers did not alert our news teams to the initiative.

“And we note that the Club 1872 statement fails to reflect the fact that every complaint they have escalated to the BBC’s independent Executive Complaints Unit has been rejected, including the complaint about our contributors.

“Impartiality lies at the heart of our reporting – to suggest otherwise is nothing more than unfounded speculation.

“Rangers continue to operate an exceptional ban on one of our journalists which severely restricts our ability to report freely from Ibrox.

“We have offered to return to Ibrox to provide match commentaries, while we try to find a permanent resolution to the overall dispute, but Rangers have said this is unacceptable.

“We continue to speak with the club as, together, we seek to find a mutually agreeable solution to the current impasse.”

In March, Rangers supporters gathered at BBC Scotland’s HQ to protest against their coverage of the club.

They unleashed a banner blast which read: "Biased, bigoted, corrupt. DON'T FUND OUR HATERS. BBC, LICENCE TO LIE."

Confirmation of the protest came less than a week after Gers PR chief Jim Traynor slammed the Beeb over their handling of a news interview with him.

Just weeks earlier, BBC Scotland hit back at unfair coverage claims made by the club’s managing director Stewart Robertson.

Reacting to Traynor’s criticism, they said: “We believe our piece was fair and accurate.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4546339/rangers-club-1872-bbc-scotland-statement-ban/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1564503582

1 hour ago, D'Artagnan said:

I think Bill, that says more about the failings at the rancid BBC tha anythig else. Im hoping the whole organisatio is o borrowed time.

I hope you’re right. Few things would do this country more good than abolishing the tv licence. The BBC is a basket case in Scotland but I think the entire organisation is miles past it’s sell by date. 

3 hours ago, ian1964 said:

“We are accused of not covering the Everyone Anyone campaign – Rangers did not alert our news teams to the initiative

Why the fcuk should Rangers it would probably have been tucked away in an insignificant corner of BBC news.

All joking aside, it's common knowledge that the BBC has a deliberate and long-standing policy that it is never wrong. Even in disputes such as the recent farce involving Sir Cliff Richard, where the BBC lost its arse in court and was roundly condemned by the judge, the BBC admitted no fault and was still denying it had done anything wrong at the same time it was handing over squillions in damages.

If anyone thinks the BBC is about to admit fault where Rangers is concerned then they need urgent therapy. The people at BBC Scotland know exactly what they're doing with respect to Rangers but will always deny it, no matter what happens.

This is why I suggested in post #6 above that expecting to influence the situation by highlighting BBC bias to a few Rangers fans is as futile as it's possible to be. You can collect and compile evidence until the end of time itself, just so long as you realise it will not make one iota of difference.

Edited by Bill

5 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Yes, ignoring the BBC is not a strategy that will be in anyway effective. Put simply they have the 3rd most popular website in the UK (after Google and Amazon), the most watched TV station and top 2 most listened to radio stations. On a Scotland only basis Radio Scotland has the most listeners of any station broadcasting from north of the border. I understand very well the changes in media in recent times however the BBC remains the single most influential broadcaster in the UK and in Scotland. That may change in the coming years but I wouldn't put my mortgage on it. 

Thanks for that @JohnMc and I know you've made this same point previously.  I wonder though who these people are though and if they are significant.  I understand the point by @Rick Roberts that if they manage to sway one potential customer or sponsor then it's too much, but how likely is that?  In other words, what is the demographic of those that access the BBC these days?  I thought I'd just ask to see if you knew.

I don't know of any in the younger generation that would list the BBC as something they would ever consider accessing for information on anything, never mind football.  They just don't go there and even my generation (70s child) I find are unlikely to go there either.  There are just too many better sources and it leaves the BBC completely redundant for those in the digital age.  That's obviously a very skewed view based on my own experience but I just wonder how many of Rangers' target audience really are impacted or influenced by the BBC.

I am sure I will see the death of the BBC in my lifetime and it's the younger generation that will kill it off completely.  It may happen sooner rather than later when inevitably the fee is scrapped.