Club1872 update on BBC

10 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I am sure I will see the death of the BBC in my lifetime

I don't think it will die but it will have to evolve considerably.  Most younger people stream what they want to watch and the thought of a tax for a state broadcaster will become more ridiculous.

With regards to our peculiar situation, they seem keen to continue it and I would suggest they're intentionally taking the piss out of Rangers FC and Rangers supporters and the best way to respond is simple.  Stop funding the contemptible twats.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

I don't think it will die but it will have to evolve considerably.  Most younger people stream what they want to watch and the thought of a tax for a state broadcaster will become more ridiculous.

With regards to our peculiar situation, they seem keen to continue it and I would suggest they're intentionally taking the piss out of Rangers FC and Rangers supporters and the best way to respond is simple.  Stop funding the contemptible twats.

Totally agree. They are blatantly taking the piss as they know their days are numbered anyway. They must have told London to f@ck off too? It’s so obviously contemptuous, and we should go after them in the courts if we could in some way?

15 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Yes, ignoring the BBC is not a strategy that will be in anyway effective. Put simply they have the 3rd most popular website in the UK (after Google and Amazon), the most watched TV station and top 2 most listened to radio stations. On a Scotland only basis Radio Scotland has the most listeners of any station broadcasting from north of the border. I understand very well the changes in media in recent times however the BBC remains the single most influential broadcaster in the UK and in Scotland. That may change in the coming years but I wouldn't put my mortgage on it. 

For me the BBC is the only item that Rangers need to focus on. It is the most important by miles. The rest will take care of itself.

I don't care how we get back in there, undignified kicking, screaming, lying, face-scratching, playing race and victim cards. But we need to get back in there. 

9 hours ago, Gaffer said:

Thanks for that @JohnMc and I know you've made this same point previously.  I wonder though who these people are though and if they are significant.  I understand the point by @Rick Roberts that if they manage to sway one potential customer or sponsor then it's too much, but how likely is that?  In other words, what is the demographic of those that access the BBC these days?  I thought I'd just ask to see if you knew.

I don't know of any in the younger generation that would list the BBC as something they would ever consider accessing for information on anything, never mind football.  They just don't go there and even my generation (70s child) I find are unlikely to go there either.  There are just too many better sources and it leaves the BBC completely redundant for those in the digital age.  That's obviously a very skewed view based on my own experience but I just wonder how many of Rangers' target audience really are impacted or influenced by the BBC.

I am sure I will see the death of the BBC in my lifetime and it's the younger generation that will kill it off completely.  It may happen sooner rather than later when inevitably the fee is scrapped.

The BBC is a difficult beast to pigeon hole, its size and resources give it enormous influence. Radio 1 for example has a huge younger audience, the biggest of any radio station and Radio Five Live remains hugely influential across all sports. The BBC website attracts a huge and diverse audience, they've segmented and cross channeled very well, and are industry leading in many ways. Their serious move into podcasts over the last 12 months is harder to measure. BBC1 remains a broad channel, creating programming aimed at a wide audience, BBC2 and BBC4 more niche. Cbeebies and CBBC have their own clear audiences as does the BBC News channel. Their charter goal is to produce programming for everyone in the UK across all their platforms.   

The challenge is when you look at it on a Scotland only basis because the UK wide channels can skew audiences. What we know is both Radio 1 and 2 have more listeners than any other radio stations in Scotland. Then Radio Scotland is next. However, this is complicated by Radio Scotland (and Radio 1 and 2) broadcasting across the whole country, no other Scotland based station does that. When you look at a station like Clyde, although it has a smaller audience than Radio Scotland in total its share is bigger in the area it broadcasts too. So it and the other 'regional' commercial stations out perform Radio Scotland in a number of areas.

Now, I suspect you're seeing teenagers who watch You Tube channels, Instagram videos and other assorted web content as well Netflix and Amazon Prime and with sport Sky, BT and whoever has Scottish football this year. In the end if you want to watch Scottish football you are limited to the channels that are actually showing it. Teenagers and younger people have always looked for media channels different from their parents. Whether that was NME, Kerrang, Radio Luxemburg, The Word or today You Tube prankers and make-up artists. What is also inevitable is they drift back in their 20s to the mainstream and within a few years they've turned into their parents, mirroring, it happens to all of us without us noticing. 

The unfortunate reality is Scottish football remains niche, it's of massive importance and attraction here, but outside of Scotland there's little appetite for it. That's the market we're in for now. As such Radio Scotland, with exclusive radio coverage, has the biggest market share for Scottish football and until a realistic competitor takes some or all of that coverage they'll continue to exert significant influence.  

Ironically, the BBC Scotland issue with Rangers might have unintended consequences. Rangers specific podcasts are appearing and some are flourishing as fans look for coverage and insight elsewhere. If, and it's a big if, one of them or indeed the club, could get the ability to provide radio commentary of Rangers matches, home and away, then BBC Scotland might well have a problem. There are many hurdles in the way of that though. However, the longer this dispute goes on the more chance there is of someone finding a way of filling the void. 

Has here been any attempt at organising a license boycott?  I could easily do without a license and stay within the law but my missus loves the soaps.  Be willing to break the law though if a boycott did get going.

1 hour ago, Briton said:

Has here been any attempt at organising a license boycott?  I could easily do without a license and stay within the law but my missus loves the soaps.  Be willing to break the law though if a boycott did get going.

Allegedly there are BBC Licence Fee Resistance groups on Facebook.

3 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

Allegedly there are BBC Licence Fee Resistance groups on Facebook.

In this day and age with streamed content and access to worldwide programming it's quite easy to legally stop paying the TV license.  

1 hour ago, Briton said:

In this day and age with streamed content and access to worldwide programming it's quite easy to legally stop paying the TV license.  

I did. Feel much better now ?

6 hours ago, JohnMc said:

The BBC is a difficult beast to pigeon hole, its size and resources give it enormous influence. Radio 1 for example has a huge younger audience, the biggest of any radio station and Radio Five Live remains hugely influential across all sports. The BBC website attracts a huge and diverse audience, they've segmented and cross channeled very well, and are industry leading in many ways. Their serious move into podcasts over the last 12 months is harder to measure. BBC1 remains a broad channel, creating programming aimed at a wide audience, BBC2 and BBC4 more niche. Cbeebies and CBBC have their own clear audiences as does the BBC News channel. Their charter goal is to produce programming for everyone in the UK across all their platforms.   

The challenge is when you look at it on a Scotland only basis because the UK wide channels can skew audiences. What we know is both Radio 1 and 2 have more listeners than any other radio stations in Scotland. Then Radio Scotland is next. However, this is complicated by Radio Scotland (and Radio 1 and 2) broadcasting across the whole country, no other Scotland based station does that. When you look at a station like Clyde, although it has a smaller audience than Radio Scotland in total its share is bigger in the area it broadcasts too. So it and the other 'regional' commercial stations out perform Radio Scotland in a number of areas.

Now, I suspect you're seeing teenagers who watch You Tube channels, Instagram videos and other assorted web content as well Netflix and Amazon Prime and with sport Sky, BT and whoever has Scottish football this year. In the end if you want to watch Scottish football you are limited to the channels that are actually showing it. Teenagers and younger people have always looked for media channels different from their parents. Whether that was NME, Kerrang, Radio Luxemburg, The Word or today You Tube prankers and make-up artists. What is also inevitable is they drift back in their 20s to the mainstream and within a few years they've turned into their parents, mirroring, it happens to all of us without us noticing. 

The unfortunate reality is Scottish football remains niche, it's of massive importance and attraction here, but outside of Scotland there's little appetite for it. That's the market we're in for now. As such Radio Scotland, with exclusive radio coverage, has the biggest market share for Scottish football and until a realistic competitor takes some or all of that coverage they'll continue to exert significant influence.  

Ironically, the BBC Scotland issue with Rangers might have unintended consequences. Rangers specific podcasts are appearing and some are flourishing as fans look for coverage and insight elsewhere. If, and it's a big if, one of them or indeed the club, could get the ability to provide radio commentary of Rangers matches, home and away, then BBC Scotland might well have a problem. There are many hurdles in the way of that though. However, the longer this dispute goes on the more chance there is of someone finding a way of filling the void. 

Thanks for that insight!!!

Its useful to read the facts rather than rely on my own experience of it.  A lot of that really surprised me.  I've just asked the kids who are now in their twenties and they said that neither they nor their friends would ever listen to radio at all, but it just shows a lot of young people still are.  You are right that the younger ones get everything they need through YouTube channels and similar.

On your last point about a Rangers radio station for commentary, I wonder how possible/difficult that would be.  I have RTV and it's transformed my enjoyment of watching our away games.  If the commentary was available somehow free of charge via a radio station I am certain it would be successful.

There is however one stage next year when I would want to tune in to the BBC football radio station whatever that is, and that's when we win 55.  I just want to hear the pain in their voices.