A Pair of Rangers-daft pensioners Told To Take Down Offensive Flags

A PAIR of Rangers-daft pensioners have been left fuming after they were ordered to take down Lights Blues and Union Jack flags outside their home - over fears it would spark anti-social behaviour.

Neighbours Duncan James, 74, and Joe Stirling, 71, were told by South Ayrshire Council to remove the tributes at their sheltered housing as they could “cause offence” to locals

And the pair, of Troon, Ayrshire, urged the council to make a U-turn on the decision - as they said they’d never set out to offend anyone.

Duncan blasted: “My wife died last year so all I have is Rangers and my dog.

“It’s ridiculous they won’t let me put up a small flag outside my house

“It’s so petty. I doubt I’d have been told to take it down if it was a flag for a smaller football team.

And Joe fumed: “It’s completely over the top.”

Pals Duncan - whose wife Isabelle, 75, died of a stroke last year - and Joe both live alone and next to each other.

Ex-miner Duncan put up his Gers flag on the day Rangers started their Europa League qualifying campaign with a 4-0 win away at St Joseph’s in Gibraltar on 9 July.

Joe - who has hung a Saltire and Lion Rampant from his window for five years - put up a Union Jack flag around the same time.

But they were stunned when a council warden turned up to tell them to remove all the tributes as they could cause offence

It’s believed it was prompted by a local resident asking if neighbours were allowed to have flags outside their home, but didn’t officially complain.

They later received a council letter telling them to remove them immediately because it could lead to “possible inciting of anti-social behaviour.”

It added it could see “Potential vandalism to your home or garden”, and that “Representation of football or other flags may cause offence and complaints.”

And Duncan said: “I think it’s ridiculous. We follow a football team and it’s only for our benefit so I don’t see what the problem is.

“We don’t drink and we don’t smoke, we just fly our flags and support our club, surely we’re entitled to do that.”

Joe added: “We believe we should have these flags. We’re in here, living here in our seventies. We’re here until we pass away effectively. Are you telling me can’t even fly a couple of flags?”

They’ve been backed by neighbours over the row.

Duncan’s next door neighbour Elizabeth Smith, 77, said: “I think it’s a complete overreaction

“I’ve not heard of anyone being offended by the flags. They certainly don’t offend me.

A South Ayrshire Council spokesman said: “It was brought to the Council’s attention that a football club flag was displayed on Council owned property, this is discouraged.

“Following the letter being issued, housing staff made the offer to meet with the tenant to discuss this further, but unfortunately this has been declined.

“However, we are still hopeful that a meeting can take place.”

https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/furious-scottish-pensioners-told-to-take-down-offensive-flags-by-council-1-4973794

A couple of years ago I drove into Dunbar from the west and saw a house near the main road with a Union flag and a Rangers flag on poles mounted on the front wall of the house. I remember thinking it must be a really hard bastard who lived there to have the confidence no one was going to touch them.

Taking offence at flags certainly offends me.

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

I'm offended that you have taken offence at someone being offended by flags.

Excuse me, as someone who's fully woke I'm obliged to be offended by everything.spacer.png

So one of the pensioners only has Rangers and his dog for company. Why does he feel the need to hang a Union Jack flag on the outside of his sheltered housing accommodation? 

I reckon there must be a Celtic supporting pensioner and the local drop in centre they're wanting to wind up. 

I wouldn't want my neighbour to fly any flag outside his house. 

I don't really see much wrong with a bloke wanting to put a flag in his window.  But it's also a wee bit naive because all it takes is one idiot or a drunk to throw a brick and we all know there are plenty of both of those in Scotland.  

Decent people should be tolerant of other views.  You only need to look at all the Yes stickers and posters in cars and windows and the (lack of angry) response to know who are good, law-abiding citizens.  :cool6:

42 minutes ago, Gazza_8 said:

So one of the pensioners only has Rangers and his dog for company. Why does he feel the need to hang a Union Jack flag on the outside of his sheltered housing accommodation? 

I reckon there must be a Celtic supporting pensioner and the local drop in centre they're wanting to wind up. 

I wouldn't want my neighbour to fly any flag outside his house. 

I certainly wouldn't want to look out my window everyday to see a Celtic flag  but if my neighbour did it he would certainly get a dose of his own medicine. Funny enough I was intrigued that my German neighbour from a few doors down had a Union flag on a large flagpole in his garden. I could only see it from distance. I asked him why he was flying a Union flag and his answer was there was a picture of the rolling stones in the middle.?