A Pair of Rangers-daft pensioners Told To Take Down Offensive Flags

Seems it’s the Rangers flag the council are upset about.

Celtic-daft neighbour hits out at ‘ridiculous’ ban forcing Rangers fan OAPs to take down ‘offensive’ club and Union Jack flags outside home

• Ben Archibald
  • 31 Jul 2019, 13:48

A CELTIC fan neighbour of two OAPs ordered to ditch Rangers and Union Jack flags outside their sheltered housing pads has blasted the “ridiculous” ban.

We told yesterday how Duncan Adams, 74, and Joe Stirling, 71, were told to pull down the banners by council bosses as they could “cause offence”.

Celtic fan Kenny Paterson has backed his Rangers-supporting neighbours after they were told to remove their flags
Celtic fan Kenny Paterson has backed his Rangers-supporting neighbours after they were told to remove their flagsCredit: Les Gallagher - The Sun Glasgow

And Hoops diehard Kenny Paterson, 75, today rallied round the pair in Troon, Ayrshire, as he called on the decision to be reversed.

The bus driver - who lives two doors down from Duncan - said: “I’m a Celtic fan and don’t find it offensive at all. Let them fly their flags.

“It doesn’t bother anyone around here. The decision is totally out of order in my opinion.

“It’s just over the top. Who would be offended by a Rangers fan? I just think it’s wrong.”

The flags fly side by side at the pals' homes in Troon, but the council have ordered the pair to take them down
The flags fly side by side at the pals' homes in Troon, but the council have ordered the pair to take them downCredit: Les Gallagher - The Sun Glasgow

Duncan said last night: “We both really appreciate his support. A lot of people round here seem to be supporting us.”

We told yesterday how the great-grandad of four put his Bears banner up before his heroes beat Gibraltar side St Joseph’s 4-0 on July 9.

Days earlier Joe — who has displayed Scotland flags in his window for five years — attached a Union Jack to a bracket.

But the grandad of three said a council warden ordered him to “take them all down because they might offend folk”.

Joe was also told to take down a Saltire and Lion Rampant.

And a letter warned the Gers-daft pals they risked “possible inciting of antisocial behaviour”.

Duncan, who lives with Border Terrier Max, said: “It’s ridiculous they won’t let me put up a small flag outside my house.

“My wife died last year so all I have is Rangers and my dog.”

And Joe added: “We’re living here until we pass away effectively. Are you telling me we can’t even fly a couple of flags? It’s completely over the top.”

South Ayrshire Council said: “It was brought to our attention that a football club flag was displayed on council-owned property. This is discouraged.”

22 hours ago, Devil's advocaat said:

Yes, it does. Although during my week in Holland earlier this month, I never seen much in the way of flags, mibbe a regional thing.

I have lived in the Netherlands for the best part of my life and have only really seen it on special occassions such as the kings Birthday or if their kids pass exams to name two. The Dutch are very nationalistic though and have many special occasions. 

The real question here is why doess South Ayrshire Council feel it is their role to decide who flies what flag, or where?

The extent to which councils and other public bodies have invaded our lives is unacceptable. They've gone from servants of the public, paid by the public, to dictatorial, interfering bullies. This flag should be no concern of the council. If they've really nothing better to do, someone should hand them shovels and point them at some potholes.

18 hours ago, Bill said:

Isn't it strangely predictable how few complaints are ever made about the proliferation of Palestinian and Catalan flags that seem to be everywhere you look in Scotland. But put up a Union flag and you're up to your neck in offendedness. Honestly, it was such a bad idea to ban handguns in this country.

The ones you mention are republican symbols and the one prohibited is a unionist symbol, that’s no coincidence. 

I live in south Ayrshire and can honestly say I've never seen a Palestinian or Catalan flag being flown.

The real question here is why doess South Ayrshire Council feel it is their role to decide who flies what flag, or where?

I was brought up in Saltcoats - managed to escape! - the only person allowed to have a flagpole in their garden was the provost. I assumed that was some kind of council bylaw, never paid it much attention tbh.

12 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

Living in England I get cheesed off by all the St George's flags I see in my and neighbouring villages. Problem is I don't know if it is to support England at football or whatever, (no issue there)  or whether it's the residence of EDL types.

Funny, i'm i  Yorkshire and see plenty flying the Union flag