[FT] Progrès 0 - 0 Rangers

Given what happened in Luxembourg two years ago, on the face of it last week's 2-0 home win over tonight's opponents should make Rangers fans feel more comfortable than we did before the 2017 loss.  Yet Progrès showed enough defensive character and attacking threat at Ibrox last Thursday to ensure that anything other than a wholly committed and professional display from Rangers could cause us problems again tonight.

Steven Gerrard was thus right to say in yesterday's press conference that works need to be done.  Sure, as has been the case in most of our games to far this summer, Rangers dominated last week and should have won by more than the two goals we did score.  Slackness in attack for the first 60-70mins resulted in good chances being missed whilst being too open in midfield, and with our use of the ball in defensive areas, could have cost us badly if it wasn't for poor finishing from the visitors late on.  Once again Allan McGregor showed his worth in one-on-ones to avoid the loss of a crucial away goal.

A two goal cushion it is though and that is a nice lead to take to the Grand Duchy. It does mean that Progrès need to be more expansive than they were at Ibrox and that should leave us more space to work with in attacking areas.  Even so, I doubt the home side will go all out from kick off and I think the opening period may well be similar to last week's match.  Hopefully that will allow us to settle well and allow us to retain possession to make it difficult for the Lux side to get back into the tie.  An early goal for us would be a big help as well and would surely kill any threat of lightning striking twice against Progrès.

The manager has already confirmed Steven Davis didn't travel so we're one important player down already.  Add in a vital league opener at Kilmarnock on Sunday then Gerrard may well be pragmatic in his team selection and tactics tonight.  That's not to say key players will be left out - that's very unlikely - but he may well stiffen up the side through the selection of guys like Kamara and Docherty, giving more licence to wide players such as Tav and, possibly Barisic too on the left, to stretch the game on the flanks.  Given the impressive summer displays so far the manager certainly has plenty of options at his disposal.

Injury aside I'd expect McGregor to start with Tav, Barisic, Goldson and one of Edmundson, Erlander and Katic forming the rest of the back four.  It seems fairly clear Connor Goldson remains his first choice central defender with the other three offering excellent depth.  Such quality also offers the option of a back three and it might not be beyond the realms of possibility to see that tonight.  I'm happy for any of the four to feature.

Moving into midfield and with Davis ruled out already that leaves a place up for grabs alongside likely starters Ryan Jack and Joe Aribo.  Because we'll be keen to retain possession and use the ball well from deeper areas, we can expect Glen Kamara to retain his place from Sunday's friendly with Derby though we do have the option of using Scott Arfield further back.

However, the Canadian's threat in attack with ability to support the striker and score goals himself should see him deployed just behind either Morelos or Defoe.  That leaves a choice of several players for the other supporting role and that selection will depend on how confident the manager is.  Does he opt for another creative player such as Ojo, Jones or Stewart?  Or will he prefer the industry of Greg Docherty to help keep the door shut at the back and offer a box-to-box threat going forward?  I suspect the latter but, again, it's good to be less predictable than we were for periods last season.

Finally we have the striker role.  Jermain Defoe has had a good summer and can be relied upon to find space, make good attacking runs and score goals in most games he plays.  For that reason, he's a fine choice any time he plays.  Yet, for me, Alfredo Morelos remains our best player and, despite all the transfer speculation, has shown already this season he's still focused on the job at hand.  As such I'd be surprised if he didn't start tonight unless the manager wants to keep him fresh for Sunday.

All in all, just like two years ago, we travel to Luxembourg as big favourites to win the tie.  However, unlike two years ago, we have the experience of knowing Progrès aren't there to make up the numbers and will, at the very least, be well organised and carry a particular threat from set-pieces.  We can ignore that at our peril or roll up our sleeves and get the job done.  Let's hope it's the latter.

Possible XI (4-3-2-1):

rfc_progres.jpg

Noted that Davis will be missing and took the time and copied the chaps we have A- and B-listed at UEFA for this round. Just to know who is actually available:

Rangers in Europe – Squad List 2019-2020

Goalkeepers

McGregor, Firth, Foderingham (plus: Wright, N. Hogarth, Kinnaer, Budinauckas, J. Hogarth)

Defenders

Tavernier, Edmundson, Helander, Goldson, Katic, Polster, Barisisc (plus Wilson, Breen, Thomson, Houston, Mayo, Finlayson, Patterson, Miller, McClelland, O'Connor, Muir, Devine, Henderson)

Midfielders

Jack, Davis, Ojo, Halliday, Kamara, Docherty, Stewart, Barjonas, Arfield (plus Butterworth, McKechnie, McPake, Williamson, Dickson, McKinnon, Lowry)

Forwards

Defoe, Aribo, Morelos, Jones (plus Dallas, Rudden, Mebude, Kennedy, Yates, Lyall)

Not in current list (but previously)

Goalkeepers

Alwnick

Defenders

McCrorie

Midfielders

Kelly, Palmer

Forwards

Hastie, Shiels

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2020/clubs/club=50121/squad/

6 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Forwards

Defoe, Aribo, Morelos, Jones (plus Dallas, Rudden, Mebude, Kennedy, Yates, Lyall)

Dallas can be taken off that list now that he's left. 

Pretty mutch agree with Frankie`s squad, I reckon we`ll take them on a bit more physical to knock any ambition hope out of them quickly, hence Docherty, Jack and Arfield.

The ghost of the last time hangs heavily over the fixture and will be murmured on umpteen times in the media today, yet, this is a vastly different squad and one that is playing well already. You wouldn`t want to tempt Fate, but I'd be utterly perplex if Progres sneaks anything here.

@DMAA ... I know, but officially he`s still on the list.

Edited by der Berliner

3 hours ago, Frankie said:

rfc_progres.jpg

I'd be happy with that team. Aribo looked very good in the more attacking role against Derby so it may even be an option to swap him with Docherty there and move Kamara to the left side.

I suspect that he'll stick with one the attacking midfielders in the position though, probably Ojo.

Edited by DMAA

Unlike the guys on the gersnet podcast who were a bit to apprehensive about this tie for my liking i can't see and will not accept anything other than a convincing victory tonight.

Anything other is a step backward imo.

32 minutes ago, onevision said:

Unlike the guys on the gersnet podcast who were a bit to apprehensive about this tie for my liking i can't see and will not accept anything other than a convincing victory tonight.

Anything other is a step backward imo.

You have to bear in mind though that Progres's gameplan will be to counter attack. If they don't come out why should we expend serious amounts of energy trying to break them down and expose ourselves to counter attacks in the process?

I'm pretty sure the game plan will be to take it easy, control the ball and pull Progres up the park so that we can get in behind them. We are 2-0 up and have an important game in 3 days, this is about seeing the tie out without any injuries and with as little effort as possible. That's why I expect a modest victory (unless they do in fact play into our hands).

Edited by DMAA

8 minutes ago, DMAA said:

You have to bear in mind though that Progres's gameplan will be to counter attack. If they don't come out why should we expend serious amounts of energy trying to break them down and expose ourselves to counter attacks in the process?

I'm pretty sure the game plan will be to take it easy, control the ball and pull Progres up the park so that we can get in behind them. We are 2-0 up and have an important game in 3 days, this is about seeing the tie out without any injuries and with as little effort as possible. That's why I expect a modest victory (unless they do in fact play into our hands).

Modest victory = 1   0

Convincing victory = 3   0 upward.

Let's remind ourselves, this is a team of part timers and although there are no "easy ties" anymore this one should be nothing more than a formality.