[FT] Progrès 0 - 0 Rangers

2 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

I seen the start GS and you are correct. I would say that is worse than any surface in professional Scottish football though. It was like the surface down at crownpoint ffs. No matter though, we are through.

Hopefully that was the issue. 

4 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Once again we miss a clutch of chances. Just wonder if we lack a bit of height through the centre. Someone like that Sam Cosgrove might offer something different against a packed defence. 

Not Sam Cosgrave for goodness sake. Very reminiscent of two years ago which isn't very encouraging. Let's hope for a big improvement on Sunday.

1 minute ago, les186 said:

Not Sam Cosgrave for goodness sake. Very reminiscent of two years ago which isn't very encouraging. Let's hope for a big improvement on Sunday.

I said, 'someone like that.' He has already got 5 goals this season before the league season starts. Defoe And Morelos are a bit on the short side.

Overall, a rather mediocre performance from Rangers with a tendency to over-elaborate and dwell to long on the ball.  The passing needs to be quicker and more incisive.  Aribo had a very good game in the first half but drifted out of things a little in the second half; I wonder if he is involved so much in the first half that he then tires in the second half.  Some good flashes of skill from Ojo who was unlucky that none of what he created was put away.  I think we also need to improve at left back because Barisic does not provide much and is too often wrong sided by players.

Finally, as usual our long range shooting was mainly atrocious.

3 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I said, 'someone like that.' He has already got 5 goals this season before the league season starts. Defoe And Morelos are a bit on the short side.

Unless there is a Hateley available we are going to continue our style of football.

13 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

The last ten/fifteen minutes, we had three/four solid opportunities to finish it, and it was a lack of composure each and every time.

I hope we have no injured players?

Rugby Park will be much tougher.

Professional performance from us this evening bossed the game from start to finish. Last 15 we should have had a couple of goals save for some stout defending from Progress. We will have to deal with quite a bit of that in the League this year so we better get used to it. I just think we should stop tryng to score the perfect goal and have a boost any time we can.

Personally I don't think Killie will be particularly difficult this season. New manager with a very different approach to the game than Clarke. I do think that the Hibs game at home Sunday after playing away in Denmark will be very tough. Heckingbottom has had a good 6 months with them since coming in Feb so they will be well versed in his style of play which if I'm honest was pretty decent both defensively and attacking towards the end of last season.