[FT] Progrès 0 - 0 Rangers

On 01/08/2019 at 19:23, RANGERRAB said:

Think Helander will find it very difficult to displace Katic. 

He shouldn't either Goldson is the weak link by far. He was lucky again on Thursday giving the ball away to a Niederkorn player who shot at goal. Then after McGregor made a gash of punching the ball away Goldson let his player get away from him to cross into the middle. Thankfully they put their best chance of the game over the bar.

After some time to think about it I’m now not so concerned about the result on the night. It would appear they were sent out to simply keep it tight, not giving anything away, and take any chances that come along.

As it went on and Progres showed no ambition at all to make a game of it one description I have heard seems to sum it up. We had one team who didn’t need to go for it and didn’t while the other did need to go for it but wouldn’t.

I don’t expect to see such a lack of intensity on Sunday.

We really have to start with Alfie and keep Defoe as an impact player coming on. Alfie's movement and pulling defenders around started giving the other players room. With Defoe it is stop his supply and he is a waste of a jersey. That is a danger in itself  and he will score goals but with Alfie it takes two defenders to stop him.

I'm sure that even more so than last season Gerrard with a years experience in hand will ,outside any fitness concerns, have already decided on a team and strategy. Kilmarnock will pretty much be the same team of last season and i'm confident they wont be much different approach wise.

The way I see it we have 2 good players for every shirt and I would say we have the strongest first 22 in the league right now.  I realise there have been glimpses of an old problem but that isn't concerning me at the moment.

It's been a gelling squad who haven't had a stable line up across the 8 pre season games but that will change.  The 8 games produced 24 goals for with 1 against and some of those games were against sides containing multi million pound players of a high quality.

There is so much potency in attacking scope available to Gerrard with a strong defence behind them. That suggests to me that against the relative journeymen of Kilmarnock on Sunday we will see a probably a physical struggle by the outclassed to contain it.

Their first tactic will be niggling fouls to break up play which we can only hope will be quickly dealt with by a few yellow cards to let some football break out. I see no way they can live with us providing our players perform as they can.

I think we can beat them 3-0

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

After some time to think about it I’m now not so concerned about the result on the night. It would appear they were sent out to simply keep it tight, not giving anything away, and take any chances that come along.

As it went on and Progres showed no ambition at all to make a game of it one description I have heard seems to sum it up. We had one team who didn’t need to go for it and didn’t while the other did need to go for it but wouldn’t.

I don’t expect to see such a lack of intensity on Sunday.

This is exactly what I said in the preview, and why I was predicting only a modest victory. We should have got that and didn’t but I find it incredible that there is so much concern over this one game. 

Edited by DMAA

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

The home tie was similarly concerning.

Really? 

Tavernier missed a penalty, and we had two goals chopped off for offside, wrongly. 

We should have battered them. Very little concerned me about the home tie.